getting butt kicked

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Lilikin

Lilikin

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:12 AM

As described my group are getting our bottoms booted old school style.

There are two of us each playing two characters. I stripped everything back to basics rules wise just the base game with add on items gates and monsters.

Characters with 3 sanity are useless no? We always seem to get wasted two or three turns in when we haven't got the clues to start sealing gates yet and there is normally some nasty monster with a sanity loss of 3+ meaning he never sees combat as he either wrecks his fight value to make a low probability save or stays high and joins the crazy brigade because there are loads of high sanity loss monsters stopping movement. Is there a way to mitigate that?

What is the best way of varying the intensity speed to play it almost more RPG speed just until we are up to speed, a mythos every other turn is all I can think of?

The main problem is we always feel a bit like we just wasted three hours of our life rather than getting thwarted naturally if that makes sense?
Wait lassie what's that noise? A few people telling FFG on a forum how to make their own games, well lassie that told them

I have three more ships than you so my opinion is twice as valid!!

#2 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:55 PM

Lilikin,

As I play always in RPG mode and almost exclusively four Investigators with all of the expansions, my playing Variant is really designed for that type of play.  However, a simple fix for you might be to, as you say, reveal a new Mythos card every other turn.  My friend Julia will be along and she will kindly tell me to "pull up my big boy pants" :D and not recommend the Mythos Card every other turn variant...but I'm thinking about you! ;)

Cheers,

Joe

• Lilikin likes this

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#3 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,435 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:22 PM

Julia's just happy that her friend Joe has got a good recipe to enjoy Arkham in the way he likes the most :)

This said... IIRC, some threads ago you said that after finishing the current rotation of AO, you'll return to "normal" play for some games. I'm eager to read your feedback on this :)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#4 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:20 PM

Julia,

You're absolutely correct...I did finish my last game of Arkham (with all of the AOs and all of the expansions) about a month ago, but my attention has been turned to "The War" in which I'm assisting with several videos to aid new players; creating a series of Production Sheets; and play-testing scenarios for the designer...and he has real deadlines, unlike some of the games I've play-tested this past year.

In short, you're right...I have to find some time to play a few games without my Variant and see how easily my Investigators are slaughtered... :P

Ciao,

Joe

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#5 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:36 PM

Micahel McGlen has Sanity 3, and he's pretty good. Low Sanity can be managed with high Will, and if you don't have high Will then high Fight will substitute.

#6 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,435 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:10 AM

Joe, good luck with that :) I know you really like that game, so I do hope you're having a great time helping with the playtest :)

As for the original inquiry, 3-Sanity characters aren't that bad (unless you get Mythos Lore as starting skill or play against Cthulhu). Clearly, they are more difficult to play considering the existance of higher-sanity damaging monsters, but I'd not say they are "useless". It is certainly true that Sanity has a higher value in the game than Stamina, so I'd prefer a 7/3 Sanity character to a 3/7, but still, you can play and win games even with 3/7

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#7 Lilikin

Lilikin

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:17 AM

Micahel McGlen has Sanity 3, and he's pretty good. Low Sanity can be managed with high Will, and if you don't have high Will then high Fight will substitute.

How would a high fight ever beat a monster that will probably take all your sanity before the fight begins?

that's my point?  you could have the deathstar under your arm but if it goes crazy before it comes to the fight part of the combat it will never fire!

Wait lassie what's that noise? A few people telling FFG on a forum how to make their own games, well lassie that told them

#8 ZoogyStardust

ZoogyStardust

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:14 AM

Michael Mac Glenn is Fight 3-6 and Will 4-1. He starts out with a tommygun, so if he max-out his will, he's left with 4 dices for Horror checks and 9 for Combat check. Thats ok for lots of monsters, there are not that many around with -3 to horror check, most have -1 or -2. And if a 3+6 Combat is not enough, you have the option of using dynamite, for 11 dices. Against strong monsters with low horror modifiers (like shoggots or dark youngs) you can take the risk of lowering a bit your Will.

Michael starting with 8$, you can go to the Administration building and buy him an additionnal skill. There are skills that will boost Fight or Will, or that will allow reroll for Combat and Horror checks.

Also, there are few monsters which tackles 4 San at once, usually, the most frightening take 3. So a whiskey common item is enough to avoid madness - though you'll need to rest after that kind of fight. There are also other items that may come in handy, like a cross (+1 to Horror checks).

Also, some allies may help bossting your Will.

And sometimes, if you're not lucky with items, skills or allies, you will ultimately have to use clues to add dices to your Horror Checks, but it may be worth it if you're fighting a really nasty monster.

With the Innsmouth expansion, the low sanity fighters Michael Mac Glenn and Mark Harrigan (from Dunwich), get a +1 to max sanity if they managed to pass their Personnal Stories.

• Lilikin likes this

"Abstainer : A weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure." - Ambrose Bierce

#9 Lilikin

Lilikin

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:41 PM

Thank you, my immaturity at this game is showing and your advice will be applied to my next game!

Just what I needed.  I drew a dark young in both my last two games so it wasn't a lot of fun TBH

#10 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:45 PM

I seem to have bad luck with the Dark Young. I truly believe Chaosium (and by extension FantasyFlight) has a 'thing' for the Dark Young. They are among the toughest and most widely spread monsters in both Call of Cthulhu and Arkham Horror, I think.

• Lilikin likes this

#11 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,435 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:58 PM

If I may add something to the previous brilliant post of ZoogyStardust, remember also that Arkham requires some team work and (almost) all characters have some good points you can work on (and I believe this is one of the most fascinating things of the game); low Sanity characters could not be the best monster whacker in town, but they could be good on many different other thing. Enjoy the ride. You'll certainly be smashed a couple of times (like we all have been), but then you'll see the real Death Star is the team work :)

• Lilikin and Fenyx like this

#12 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:15 AM

The thing about high Fight is that it means you can keep Will cranked and not be useless.

Remember the magic number is three. Luck won't always be on your side, but if you have a dice pool of at least three, you can expect to pass a Test.

• Lilikin likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS