Spending Clues and Eldritch tokens.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HellishBoy1

HellishBoy1

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:08 AM

I've been going over the rules pretty extensively and I want to assume that when a players turn comes he can spend Clues and Eldritch tokens on a Mystery card, if they have them. Is this considered an action, or can spend them and continue as normal with your two actions?

#2 Soakman

Soakman

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:15 AM

I don't have my game out in front of me, but what does the card say?  Instead of having and encounter, as an action, etc....?

#3 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:25 AM

When you resolve your encounter phase, in case there are no monsters (which are a compulsory encounter - at the end of which, unless specified on the monster chit, you're allowed to have a further encounter) you may choose two:

a) encounter the location by drawing a card from the corresponding deck (General or region-specific)

b) encounter the token on the location, following the specifics for each token (for example, if there is a clue token and you want to encounter the clue, you draw a card from the Research Encounters deck; if there is a Rumor token, you may encounter it, following the instructions on the Rumor, so, spending clues for removing eldritch token from the card, for example). Some mysteries instruct you to spend clues you gain through a clue-encounter: you move on a clue location, resolve the Research encounter, and, if you gain the clue, you may spend it immediately and put it on the Mystery.

Hope this helps!

• Vala_Melkor and Taragashi like this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#4 Mephisto666

Mephisto666

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:26 PM

I think the answer is if you succeed in getting the clue, you may either place it in your inventory or on the a mystery that requires it.  It is part of "getting" the clue, not a separate action. 

#5 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:25 PM

Spending clue tokens is not considered one of your two actions in the action phase, no. Spending clue tokens is almost always part of some other action or encounter.

• Julia likes this

#6 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

It depends on what the card says.  Some mysteries (but generally Rumors) say to "spend a clue token", in which case clue tokens in your inventory work.  

If the card says something like "when you acquire the clue token, an investigator may place it on the card", requires the investigator to successfully acquire a NEW clue token from a research card.

Neither one, however, is an action in and of itself.

Edited by dvang, 28 February 2014 - 04:24 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS