The Winning Team--Solo?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:12 AM

Is it considered a victory on the records if a person playing by themselves wins the game by completing the 'Joining the Winning Team' mission? For that matter, if you are facing Nyarl and allow one of your investigators to be taken during his 'Join me' Sinister plot, can you, essentially, not lose the game?

#2 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:13 AM

Hah! Very devious :) I say yes, it's a victory for the investigator (the odds are against him, anyway. There's a greater chance of Nyarl devouring him than letting him join forces).

But would you really enjoy pursuing the Winning Team or succumbing to Join Me, without other human players around? I mean, the beauty of it is to be able to gloat about it...

#3 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,449 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:06 AM

I can't but think about an older post Avi did (back in 2010 maybe) saying, since he played solo most of the times, he never went for Joining the Winning Team because he couldn't imagine and end of the game with him talking to himself saying "hey, sucker, you lose! and also congrats, you won!" followed by a schizofrenic handshake of his two selves...

Honestly, I do not like any of these cards. Even though they could be strategically interesting and offer a new perspective to the game, I see them as a sort of "betrayal" towards the truly cooperative spirit of the game. I love Arkham because you play together, win together, lose together. Having cards breaking this comradship, well... they do not fit my playing style. So, Join me! is never accepted (even though I don't remember any Nyarly game in the last 5 years ending up in FB :devil: ), and whenever Joining the winning team is drawn, we draw a replacement card

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#4 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:34 AM

"Joining the Winning Team" and a few other choice Missions have been permanently removed from my deck.  I play, like Avi, almost exclusively solo-play with four Investigators.

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#5 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:06 AM

Well, let's be fair here, Avi. In theme, both of these cards make a great deal of sense (though I would almost say Shub should have a 'Join me' kind of card too given her/it's ever growing 'family). It fits the spirit of Lovecraft which is that notion that you can't really count on your friends until the end of the story and you see who is dead, alive and/or insane. Mechnically, yeah, you're right, only the truly mad would play against themselves...>BD

But in theme, I think they work well. Lovecraft, August (darn him) and the rest had made it clear that you can't ever really trust anyone in the Lovecraftian universe. Not entirely.

• Tox likes this

#6 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:42 PM

I have it in the stats site as a loss because the whole world loses. There's nothing stopping the "winning" player from bragging his win for all time though.

#7 subochre

subochre

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:29 PM

I actually like the idea of Joining the Winning Team much better in a solo situation, since you get the satisfaction of a Nonstandard Game Over without pissing off your friends.  As Faust says, it really is a cool idea on a thematic level, and I'd be totally into defector victories happening every once in a while in some other, shorter game, but it's a helluvan anticlimax to a game that's been going on for a few hours.

#8 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:47 PM

I actually like the idea of Joining the Winning Team much better in a solo situation, since you get the satisfaction of a Nonstandard Game Over without pissing off your friends.  As Faust says, it really is a cool idea on a thematic level, and I'd be totally into defector victories happening every once in a while in some other, shorter game, but it's a helluvan anticlimax to a game that's been going on for a few hours.

I made an Investigator specifically for this purpose. Fairly average stats but he starts off with 'Joining the Winning Team' simply as a sort of thematic (or if you want to troll your friends in a full game).

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS