Allies with no Ionian Nebula

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Skowza

Skowza

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:17 AM

Curious about other experiences with this...
We planned to play a six player game but when two of our players didnt show we played a four player game and tried something new - Allies with Core ending.
Instead of giving players tokens at the start, we put all the Trauma tokens in a pool and put three Allies out at the beginning of the game, drawing from the pool whenever anyone went to a location with an Ally and removing the Ally and the used token from the game; since player Trauma didnt factor into the game we also removed any Ally that only had a Trauma effect and substitued "draw Trauma token" effects for "draw Treachery Cards" when we felt it was applicable.  We hate the Ionian Nebula ending that removes players from the game before the game ends, so we decided to just kind of wing it with our new idea and see how it went; unfortunately the Humans were very lucky so its hard to judge how it worked.
Roslin, Gaeta, Lee and Dee, with Sympathetic Cylon card, playing Sympathetic goes Cylon with Agenda if resources are blue, stays Human but gets brigged if a resource is red, no Daybreak components; I start the game as Cylon Lee. 
Pretty average first half, I cant help or hurt Human team for most of it, 3 distance on first jump, I reveal just before 2nd jump, send to Sickbay and -5 cards the player after me right before second jump just in case I get Sympathetic card and have to pass my Cylon card to someone else.  Fuel goes red at the jump so Sympathetic stays Human and ends up in the Brig; after this the Humans get incredible luck for the rest of the game, their die luck is unbelievable and they consistantly roll everything they need on every single die roll.  Every Ally they visit works out for them, they consistently get the positive (blue) token every time they pull from the pool and keep their resources at 3 or higher for most of the game.  My SC (Fire All Missles) destroys two good civies (4 resources total) and damages FTL and Armory but I can't get Centurions on board since their ridiculous die luck kills all four Heavy Raiders that are floating around in space areas.  Repeated use of Allies with continued luck of always drawing blue Trauma tokens allows them to get resources back out of the 2/1 danger zone and they keep jumping just in time to leave me with no good Cylon action on my turn.  Humans won after repairing FTL and jumping at -3 Pop at the end, and we all agreed that had they drawn a negative Trauma token things would have been different; at the end the top six cards of the Crisis deck had no jump icons, so had the game gone for one more turn or if FTL had stayed damaged they probably would have lost since the Engine Room was destroyed along with the rest of Pegasus. 
After this rambly account of our game, my real question is what have other groups experienced with splashing the Allies in instead of using the Ionian Nebula ending; has anyone tried this idea and what have the results been?  We really enjoyed it and have decided we will try it again soon, but does anyone think it unbalances the game in favor of one team or the other?

Edited by Skowza, 12 December 2013 - 04:19 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS