Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:29 AM

Are Zoats in WFRP 3rd Edition?

All i could find was they are

Centaur like lizard creatures

Lizardmen fear them

Wood Elves ally with them

They live in deep forest/woods

Comprise of warriors and shamen

1st Edition seemed to have alot of one off creatures that vanished over time. Cannot seem to find more info on these. History etc Why do lizardmen fear them?

Been reading alot about these elder races, Dragons and Dragon Ogres as well. But cant seem to find the non-chaos dragon ogre info.

Why do they look like Orges. Are they Ogres that mutated or Ogres are Dragon Ogres that mutated? But then again Giants look like humans. And Giants were meant to be highly intelligent until the Ogres got inflicted by the great Maw and destroyed the Giants civilisation. Which was likely during or after the chaos storms that created chaos dwarves etc.

Not sure how luch of this is all hearsay.

The internet is not your friend.

Edited by DurakBlackaxe, 11 December 2013 - 07:31 AM.

#2 doc_cthulhu

doc_cthulhu

• Members
  • 734 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:55 AM

Zoats and Fimir were gone with the wind when 2nd edition got published. Something to do with the IP rights. The most recent information about them is in Forge World's Monstrous Arcanum. It is not for WFRP but for Warhammer Fantasy Battle. It is up to you if it treats them with respect and if you can use them in your games. 

If you can get your hands of Warpstone 25 you get more than enough info on Fimir. For 2nd edition. And if you look amongst the most recent posts on this forum you'll find a thread about using Fimir in WFRP3.

So nothing official (because legal issues) but a lot of other usable material.

edit: As for Dragon Ogres (and for most monsters in any case) refer to other Fantasy Battle books (Dragon Ogres are in Warriors of Chaos iirc). ALL dragon ogres are chaotic. They live only to serve chaos. 

Edited by doc_cthulhu, 11 December 2013 - 08:57 AM.

The Daily Empire - An inspirational & resource site for all games of Warhammer

The Guild Blog - A blog about RPGs, games (and apparently comics) by my gaming group

#3 DurakBlackaxe

DurakBlackaxe

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:46 AM

:D

I read they got brought a Zoat back in some WFB adventure, Storm of Magic. I dont have that book, so no idea what information is in that book either.

You know the unexpected is fun. Was thinking of Southlands or an area not affected by chaos as the rest of the world was where you come across a thought to be extinct race.

Its mostly the races before the gates crashed, and Chaos was released into the world. The race in charge of the Slaan, think was old ones?  They tended to craft races to do work for them. Dragons for heavy labour and magical aid. Slaan for admin work, Lizardman for menial work.  So just wondering what else they had out there. If Zoats were their Shepherds of the Forest, why would Lizardmen fear them. Might even have sea lizardmen at some point.

Dont mean to be, make or guess an theory. Its more a, does anyone have more info, question.

Edited by DurakBlackaxe, 11 December 2013 - 09:55 AM.

#4 SJMazzella3380

SJMazzella3380

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:03 AM

Are Zoats in WFRP 3rd Edition?

All i could find was they are

Centaur like lizard creatures

Lizardmen fear them

Wood Elves ally with them

They live in deep forest/woods

Comprise of warriors and shamen

1st Edition seemed to have alot of one off creatures that vanished over time. Cannot seem to find more info on these. History etc Why do lizardmen fear them?

Been reading alot about these elder races, Dragons and Dragon Ogres as well. But cant seem to find the non-chaos dragon ogre info.

Why do they look like Orges. Are they Ogres that mutated or Ogres are Dragon Ogres that mutated? But then again Giants look like humans. And Giants were meant to be highly intelligent until the Ogres got inflicted by the great Maw and destroyed the Giants civilisation. Which was likely during or after the chaos storms that created chaos dwarves etc.

Not sure how luch of this is all hearsay.

The internet is not your friend.

There is no such thing as Chaos Dwarves.  Never has been, never will be.

Dwarves do not turn to Chaos, end of story.

Talk like this will lead to an untimely destruction of your town/village.

• socratim likes this

#5 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:26 AM

:D

I read they got brought a Zoat back in some WFB adventure, Storm of Magic. I dont have that book, so no idea what information is in that book either.

You know the unexpected is fun. Was thinking of Southlands or an area not affected by chaos as the rest of the world was where you come across a thought to be extinct race.

Its mostly the races before the gates crashed, and Chaos was released into the world. The race in charge of the Slaan, think was old ones?  They tended to craft races to do work for them. Dragons for heavy labour and magical aid. Slaan for admin work, Lizardman for menial work.  So just wondering what else they had out there. If Zoats were their Shepherds of the Forest, why would Lizardmen fear them. Might even have sea lizardmen at some point.

Dont mean to be, make or guess an theory. Its more a, does anyone have more info, question.

I think canon suggets that Dragon Ogres and Dragons predate Old Ones/Slann and the remaking of the world.  One fiction source suggests Dragon Ogres (at least the ones still around) took up alleigiance to Chaos for some reason (maybe just really angry at Old Ones for remaking world and ready to "take a bargain" from the Ruinous Powers).

Zoats are more mysterious and I think also something an old Warpstone magazine has articles on but which also has at times involved 40k crossover ideas.

I believe the "ogre" part of their name is pure fluff/modern era misconceptions, they are nothing to do with ogres in reality (e.g., the same way north american first peoples have nothing to do with Indians in reality but got stuck with the name).

As with all this 'dawn time' stuff, huge clarity is not forthcoming and a GM can "do what suits themselves really" - e.g., are the Old Ones and First Generation Slann really the same or not - which do you want it to be or just have fun letting rival schools of thought exist in your fantasy world.

#6 James Sparrow

James Sparrow

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:14 AM

Zoats are more mysterious and I think also something an old Warpstone magazine has articles on but which also has at times involved 40k crossover ideas.

Issue 29, still available. They are given their W40K background as a Tyranid construct race, and from there linked to the Old Ones and Old Slann in the Warhammer World. However, there's a text box suggesting how the Tyranids can be cheerfully ignored without invalidating the rest of the article. It also contrasts them with the Dragon Ogres.

Cheers

Sparrow

#7 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:44 AM

I think an elf scenario in the northern forests would be cool if one of the characters was a Zoat (I'd use stats for centaur or beastman or something).  Outside of the elvish woodlands, they really would be an oddity anyways.

Someone just did up all of the FIMIR in 3e fashion.  You can probably still find them on these boards.

jh

Edited by Emirikol, 11 December 2013 - 11:44 AM.

#8 Gazery

Gazery

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:25 PM

Dragon ogre shaggoths made a pact with the ruinous powers when they first entered the world, rather than slowly decline to extinction. They believe that when the end times come - chaos destroy the world, they will be free from their bondage to the chaos powers and their race will awaken once more. They are older than all races and maybe older than the old ones.

Dragon ogres are younger versions of shaggoths.

Dragons are a race that were not created by the old ones, they existed well before tgey arrived and befriended the Elves once they were created.

Fimirs and zoats are actually in the current version of WFB. They were included in a supplement called storm of magic that added lots of catacalysmic spells and wondrous monsters. Others incuded are fenbeasts, great taurus, lammasu, ghorgon, and truthsayer (from Avalon)
  • Emirikol likes this

#9 Ambivalent Badger

Ambivalent Badger

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:42 AM

Fimirs and zoats are actually in the current version of WFB.

Forge World even have models for the Fimir, which should provide an excellent visual representation for those who are interested.

They have also made some other truly awesome Warhammer monsters that need to be included into the WFRP beastiary.

I have developed a tool for developing character personalities through random table selection. Please check it out

I've also made a similar tool for plot creation and development, which you can find here.

#10 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:40 PM

Make sure you also check out Defenders of the Forest (Liber fanatica) by Herr Arnulf :)

That has a decent section on Zoats.

#11 Herr Arnulfe

Herr Arnulfe

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:56 AM

Make sure you also check out Defenders of the Forest (Liber fanatica) by Herr Arnulf :)

That has a decent section on Zoats.

Thanks for the plug.  :)  I only wrote about half of DotF (actually more like 45%, plus 45% by Steven and 10% by others). The Zoat entry was written by Robin Low (James Sparrow) and the Zoat's Tale was written by Dawn Lewis.

Edited by Herr Arnulfe, 04 January 2014 - 10:56 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS