PSA: ordnance v ordinance

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

• Members
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:47 PM

I've see this come up a few times and it bothers me. I'm a little bit of a grammar nazi, and I apologize. ...

Perhaps, when one is being a grammar Nazi, one should know how to conjugate a verb. Nothing takes away your "expert authority" faster then making an error on the second word of your post, in the same area you're presuming to lecture others on.

When communicating using the first person singular, the present perfect form of the verb "to see" is "have seen".

Agreed, and fixed. It mostly happens because of the phone typing. I would like to note that I did use the correct verb though.

I'm on this boat with you, just because I know the difference doesn't mean my stupid smartphone does. 

• Darthfish likes this

#22 Duke of Advil

Duke of Advil

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:39 PM

I know what a conjunction is.....

EMPIRE SHIPS [TIE Fighters(5)] [TIE Interceptor(1)] [Firespray-31(1)] [TIE Advanced(1)] [TIE Bomber(1)]

REBEL SHIPS [X-Wing(3)] [B-Wing(1)] [A-Wing(1)] [YT-1300(1)] [Y-Wing(1)] [HWK-290(1)]

Vaders Redemption

#23 StevenO

StevenO

• Members
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:01 PM

Junction, junction, what's the function?

• Duke of Advil likes this

#24 Gazerfoxie

Gazerfoxie

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:56 PM

Wasn't that School House Rock, Conjunction Junction?

• Drakhan Valane and Duke of Advil like this

"Do a Barrel Roll! Use the Boost to get through!" .. .. .. Wait a minute. Is this the right game?

#25 StevenO

StevenO

• Members
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:49 PM

Don't you just HATE how well some of those things can stick with you decades later?

#26 zathras23

zathras23

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:29 AM

Remember that this is Star Wars. It's not Grammar Nazi. It's Grammar Stormtrooper.

• Digitalkiller, Drakhan Valane and Duke of Advil like this

#27 Two_Hands

Two_Hands

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:35 AM

I've see this come up a few times and it bothers me. I'm a little bit of a grammar nazi, and I apologize. ...

Perhaps, when one is being a grammar Nazi, one should know how to conjugate a verb. Nothing takes away your "expert authority" faster then making an error on the second word of your post, in the same area you're presuming to lecture others on.

When communicating using the first person singular, the present perfect form of the verb "to see" is "have seen".

It's a universal law of semiotics that anyone making a corrective "grammar Nazi" post will make at least one spelling, grammar, or syntactical error.
  • Drakhan Valane, gentgeen and Duke of Advil like this

#28 Cerealthief

Cerealthief

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:18 AM

This thread made my life better.

But what really bugs me is when people fail to close a

#29 Gazerfoxie

Gazerfoxie

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:20 PM

Remember that this is Star Wars. It's not Grammar Nazi. It's Grammar Stormtrooper.

Dark Lord of Grammar

"Do a Barrel Roll! Use the Boost to get through!" .. .. .. Wait a minute. Is this the right game?

#30 Drakhan Valane

Drakhan Valane

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:27 PM

Darth Grammarian.
Rebel Alliance: 3 X-Wings, 1 Y-Wing, 4 A-Wings, 2 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290s, 1 YT-1300
Empire: 2 TIE Fighters, 1 TIE Advance, 1 Lambda Shuttle

#31 Asgo

Asgo

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:18 AM

the Grammar Imps vs. the Spelling Rebels and of course the pen is mightier than the laser sword

a heroic tale about the written word in a library far far away

"words don't kill people, people kill people"

• Digitalkiller and Duke of Advil like this

#32 Exarkfr

Exarkfr

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:55 AM

Ordonance

... I think thats french

"Ordonnance" (double "n", from the verb "Ordonner" = "to order"), would be the French for "Ordinance".

For "Ordnance", it would be "Artillerie".

Using "ordonnance" in French when it comes to the army would designate a "soldier assigned to the service of an officer".

"Ordonnance" is also a "medical prescription"

#33 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 942 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:20 PM

Since this is a grammar/spelling PSA, I'll share another. Be aware of the difference between "lose" and "loose." I see that one a lot.

Beware! Pilots are loosing their actions all over the boards!

(P.S. that's the incorrect usage).

• Cerealthief likes this

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#34 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

• Members
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:29 PM

Good pilots are loosing their actions all across the board...

Bad pilots lose their actions all the time.

• Parakitor and Two_Hands like this

#35 Cerealthief

Cerealthief

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:04 AM

What literally makes me explode is when people misused the word figuratively. Even worse when they combine it with the wrong their, their, they're. I mean, I don't understand what their thinking.

Sometimes I wonder if they should be killed alot for not putting spaces between words which are clearly two words.

• NotBatman and KineticOperator like this

#36 Cilionelle

Cilionelle

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:12 AM

Personally, I like Grammar Moff.
  • Parakitor likes this
"There is no point to owning a copy of the rules if you aren't committed to actually reading them."

#37 Duke of Advil

Duke of Advil

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:50 AM

What literally makes me explode is when people misused the word figuratively.

go boom much?lol

EMPIRE SHIPS [TIE Fighters(5)] [TIE Interceptor(1)] [Firespray-31(1)] [TIE Advanced(1)] [TIE Bomber(1)]

REBEL SHIPS [X-Wing(3)] [B-Wing(1)] [A-Wing(1)] [YT-1300(1)] [Y-Wing(1)] [HWK-290(1)]

Vaders Redemption

#38 Thrawnshand

Thrawnshand

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:24 AM

TIE bomber pilots don't need to know the difference. They just need to know where the unloading zone is...

X-Wings-10 TIE Fighters-16 TIE Advanced-1 Y-Wings-4  Falcon-1 Slave-1-1 TIE Interceptors-4 A-wing-4 HWK-290-3 TIE Bomber -4 B-wing-2 Imperial Shuttle-2 Imperial Aces-2 Rebel Transport-1 Tanitive IV-1

Why does Luke whine when Ben Kenobi dies, only having know the man a few days, yet Biggs, his childhood friend blows up behind him, covering his 6, and all he does is a double take?

#39 Khyros

Khyros

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:32 AM

I feel like this needs a friendly bump since "ordinance" has been talked about quite a bit recently.

• Johdo likes this

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#40 Darthfish

Darthfish

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:02 AM

Darth grammar be thy name. Your new official call sign. Thanks for the correction. My phone did not know the difference. I knew both spellings existed but not which was which. I know I have been guilty of getting this one wrong. I won't disappoint you again, Darth Grammar.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS