PSA: ordnance v ordinance

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 yoink101

yoink101

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:28 AM

I've seen this come up a few times and it bothers me. I'm a little bit of a grammar nazi, and I apologize. So, here it goes:

ord·nance
ˈôrdnəns/
noun
mounted guns; artillery.
synonyms: guns, cannon, artillery, weapons, arms, ammunition; More
military weapons, ammunition, and equipment used in connection with them.
a branch of the armed forces dealing with the supply and storage of weapons, ammunition, and related equipment.

or·di·nance
ˈôrdn-əns/
noun
a piece of legislation enacted by a municipal authority.
"a city ordinance banned smoking in nearly all types of restaurants"
an authoritative order; a decree.
synonyms: edict, decree, law, injunction, fiat, command, order, rule, ruling, dictum, dictate, directive, mandate More
a prescribed religious rite.
"Talmudic ordinances"
synonyms: rite, ritual, ceremony, sacrament, observance, service More
Origin

Just remember, that TIE bomber has a lot of ordnance that might explode. The politician passes the ordinance that allows the TIE bomber to carry the ordnance.

Edited by yoink101, 11 December 2013 - 09:18 AM.

• Parakitor, Shanturin, Vorpal Sword and 5 others like this

#2 Duke of Advil

Duke of Advil

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:31 AM

This message is brought to you by the United Empire College Fund. Helping keep order in the Galaxy since 19BBY

Edited by Duke of Advil, 10 December 2013 - 09:45 AM.

• JasonVoorhees, Digitalkiller, basilisk 51 and 1 other like this

EMPIRE SHIPS [TIE Fighters(5)] [TIE Interceptor(1)] [Firespray-31(1)] [TIE Advanced(1)] [TIE Bomber(1)]

REBEL SHIPS [X-Wing(3)] [B-Wing(1)] [A-Wing(1)] [YT-1300(1)] [Y-Wing(1)] [HWK-290(1)]

Vaders Redemption

#3 Digitalkiller

Digitalkiller

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:05 AM

Good to know. :)

----------------

In a country... far... far... away

#4 phild0

phild0

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:16 AM

Another win for the English language and the many inconsistent spelling and pronunciation rules. :P I'm mostly sad because I did not know this one. Thanks for the information. I know I have been a part if the "problem" in at least a few forum posts.
  • DraconPyrothayan likes this

#5 swampthing

swampthing

• Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:32 AM

I too was part of the problem and am very pleased to be corrected.
My thanks to you my good man and may the force be with you old chap

#6 Rocket Launcher

Rocket Launcher

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:42 AM

Colour not color!

Holiday not vacation!

Honour not honor

:P

• Cilionelle, Drakhan Valane, Cerealthief and 1 other like this

#7 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:48 AM

Colour not color!

Holiday not vacation!

Honour not honor

:P

Webster disagrees, but he purposely misspelled everything in his dictionary to separate the American language from the English language. Also was the first dictionary to include "Skunk" and "Squash".

That being said, the usage of Us was a holdover from the French aristocracy following the Norman invasion. The English spelled Queen as "Cwen", for instance, which frankly makes more sense.

• oneway likes this

#8 Duke of Advil

Duke of Advil

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:23 AM

Another win for the English language and the many inconsistent spelling and pronunciation rules. :P I'm mostly sad because I did not know this one. Thanks for the information. I know I have been a part if the "problem" in at least a few forum posts.

English isn't all bad...it is also know as "Basic" in a Galaxy far far away.
  • JaceMoonstrider, DraconPyrothayan, phild0 and 1 other like this

EMPIRE SHIPS [TIE Fighters(5)] [TIE Interceptor(1)] [Firespray-31(1)] [TIE Advanced(1)] [TIE Bomber(1)]

REBEL SHIPS [X-Wing(3)] [B-Wing(1)] [A-Wing(1)] [YT-1300(1)] [Y-Wing(1)] [HWK-290(1)]

Vaders Redemption

#9 StevenO

StevenO

• Members
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:26 PM

Just because two people claim to speak English that does not mean they actually speak the same language.  A cousin of mine married someone across the pond and while we are both geeks and into a lot of the same kinds of thing we sometime had a hard time understanding each other.

Thanks for pointing out this error yoink.  I know I try to use proper language but sometimes I get lazy and just repeat the terms others are already using without checking for accuracy.

• DraconPyrothayan and Duke of Advil like this

#10 Asgo

Asgo

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:49 PM

there is also the notion of context and while we are at it, we also can throw in a bit of common sense.

While texts might become almost unreadable with a certain number of spelling errors, the above mentioned error isn't really that problematic or even ambiguous.

While the words only differ in one letter, their meaning should be different enough?

Please, everyone step forward who read ordinance thought that the TIE Bombers where stuffing their tubes with paper balls of law text (even if it might be the best use for those texts ;) )!

for the rest there are dictionary extensions for your browser.

I prefer the common sense fascist over the grammar nazi. ;)

Edited by Asgo, 10 December 2013 - 12:50 PM.

#11 StevenO

StevenO

• Members
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:08 PM

We need to praise the grammar nazi and recognize the errors we make.  I know I can't spell all that well and like spell check backing me up be we still need to be able to tell the differences in a words spelling and what they mean and are used for.  Sure, there are MACHINES that can help you think but if you want to sign your life over to a machine's thinking do us a favor and get out now before they take over.

• Duke of Advil likes this

#12 Khyros

Khyros

• Members
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:57 PM

We need to praise the grammar nazi and recognize the errors we make.  I know I can't spell all that well and like spell check backing me up be we still need to be able to tell the differences in a words spelling and what they mean and are used for.  Sure, there are MACHINES that can help you think but if you want to sign your life over to a machine's thinking do us a favor and get out now before they take over.

QFT

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#13 Millennium Falsehood

Millennium Falsehood

• Members
  • 907 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:07 PM

I had no idea there were two words that sounded like that. Then again, I'm an engineering major, not an English major . . .

Rebel Alliance: 7 X-wings, 4 Y-wings, 4 A-wings, 1 YT-1300, 2 HWK-290s, 3 B-wings, 1 GR-75, 1 CR-90

Galactic Empire: 6 TIE Fighters, 1 TIE Advanced, 2 Firespray-31s, 1 Lambda class Shuttle, 3 TIE Bombers

"Main characters defeat a Star Trek villain? Give 'em a Star Wars celebration!"

#14 StevenO

StevenO

• Members
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:31 PM

I had no idea there were two words that sounded like that. Then again, I'm an engineering major, not an English major . . .

You may speak a different language as well then.  You may recognize the following as all being the same but plenty of others would not:

2^2 ... 22 ... 2(2) ... 2*2 ... 2 x 2  (admittedly the first two use a different function which happens to be same as the last three, change a 2 to a 3 and not all the numbers would change.)

#15 Ravncat

Ravncat

• Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:36 PM

I believe there was an ordinance declaring ordnance be pronounced ordinance and thus misspelled appropriately
  • DraconPyrothayan, Cerealthief and Darthfish like this

#16 gentgeen

gentgeen

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:38 PM

I've see this come up a few times and it bothers me. I'm a little bit of a grammar nazi, and I apologize. ...

Perhaps, when one is being a grammar Nazi, one should know how to conjugate a verb. Nothing takes away your "expert authority" faster then making an error on the second word of your post, in the same area you're presuming to lecture others on.

When communicating using the first person singular, the present perfect form of the verb "to see" is "have seen".

• Cerealthief and JJFDVORAK like this

#17 yoink101

yoink101

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:17 AM

I've see this come up a few times and it bothers me. I'm a little bit of a grammar nazi, and I apologize. ...

Perhaps, when one is being a grammar Nazi, one should know how to conjugate a verb. Nothing takes away your "expert authority" faster then making an error on the second word of your post, in the same area you're presuming to lecture others on.

When communicating using the first person singular, the present perfect form of the verb "to see" is "have seen".

Agreed, and fixed. It mostly happens because of the phone typing. I would like to note that I did use the correct verb though.

#18 TheRealStarkiller

TheRealStarkiller

• Members
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:24 AM

Ordonance

... I think thats french

• Duke of Advil and JJFDVORAK like this

Sir, rebel transports sighted \                              / Affirmative.                                                           

(-o-)  (-o-)    (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)    (-o-)  (-o-) 

Excellent! Gamma wing, prepare for torpedo run. We'll provide cover.

|-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   (<o>)   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   

#19 Rodent Mastermind

Rodent Mastermind

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:59 AM

BIG ASS EXPLOSIVE DOOHICKEYS.... See that solves all our problems, we just stop using the words Ordnance and Ordinance and just use Big Ass Explosive Doohickeys and Boring Government Red Tape Rubbish instead.

Edited by Rodent Mastermind, 11 December 2013 - 10:59 AM.

• Cilionelle, gentgeen, DraconPyrothayan and 5 others like this

#20 yoink101

yoink101

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:04 PM

BIG ASS EXPLOSIVE DOOHICKEYS.... See that solves all our problems, we just stop using the words Ordnance and Ordinance and just use Big Ass Explosive Doohickeys and Boring Government Red Tape Rubbish instead.

I'll drink to that.

• Cilionelle and mithmyrr like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS