The Recent Exploits Thread

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 faith_star83

faith_star83

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:57 AM

I am still enjoying the Black Riders box with my Hobbit Deck. It's incredibly fun and I want to tweak the deck to consistently beat the quests :P

As for the recent exploits, it doesn't look like many players are still using the quest log on this website, are there? It's a bit of a shame, because I found the statistics part really interesting, where you could see which heroes are most popular and so on. Plus obviously keeping track of your progress is fun :D

#22 Darkjawa

Darkjawa

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:28 AM

Let me start by saying that I am a new player. So far have only played solo games, I think Im up to 6 games so far. Finally was able to beat Passage through Mirkwood with a Dwarf deck I made with a final score of 62. Will post the deck I made in the decks' section later today.

#23 chuckles

chuckles

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:08 PM

As for the recent exploits, it doesn't look like many players are still using the quest log on this website, are there? It's a bit of a shame, because I found the statistics part really interesting, where you could see which heroes are most popular and so on. Plus obviously keeping track of your progress is fun :D

I've been taking the hobbits, (Sam, Merry & L'Pippin), for adventures in non saga quests, which has been quite a lot fun and a little odd to be questing without spirit. 

When i first started playing I didn't realise there was a quest tracker...  The tracker probably needs a bit if a overhaul to make more appealing/useful. Oh and kept up to date like Theoden being added as a Hero.

Edited by chuckles, 07 January 2014 - 02:14 PM.

"Do not believe him! He has lost all power, save his voice that can still daunt you and deceive you, if you let it."

#24 Legoland

Legoland

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:28 PM

I am still enjoying the Black Riders box with my Hobbit Deck. It's incredibly fun and I want to tweak the deck to consistently beat the quests :P

What is the quest log and where can I find it? (A link would help me :) ) I have a whole excel full of scores^^

Edited by Legoland, 07 January 2014 - 01:29 PM.

“Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.” LotR The fellowship of the ring

#25 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:33 PM

http://tools.fantasy...questlog/#/home

Also found in the list under "More" at the top of this page, next to News/Catalog/Upcoming/Community/Shop

#26 Legoland

Legoland

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:05 PM

GREAT! In two way´s.

First, after 14 fails with carrock I finaly beat it solo with the cards which where available at that time (Deck was spirit + leadership) ^_^  Of course Gandalf + Sneak attack helped a lot.

But I was incredible bad with 208 final score - but hey I beat it...

Second, I read aout the Quest Log once but could not find it. so Thank you a lot :wub: !!!!

EDIT: WOW ! Great tool - everyone should use it :D

EDIT two: Oh damn, I save all information about almost everything but the heros :D Hm naa, and now?
I think it´s time to beginn from Core set again ;) Can´t wait to play with only the "fantastic" Core Cards xD

Edited by Legoland, 07 January 2014 - 03:19 PM.

“Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.” LotR The fellowship of the ring

#27 Darkjawa

Darkjawa

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:04 PM

I added my Dwarf win to the quest log today

#28 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:45 PM

I was just playing the Morgul Vale and was extremely dissapointed by my own stupidity, in that the whole deck concept I put together didn't work. It was a mono tactics deck with Theoden, Merry and Legolas, plus direct attack type effects and a bunch of eagles. I killed Murzag and Alcaron, (and Lieutenant of Mordor) each with one blow, thanks to a pumped up Eagles of the misty mountains and Support of the eagles for Legolas. Then, when the Nazgul appeared, I was ready to just defend with some allies and then discard the nazgul with Straight Shot (Legolas had 2 Rivendell blades) and then I read the quest card and saw that the nazgul can only be defeated through combat! At that point I just resigned, lol. But even though I lost, I was pleasantly surprised that Theoden proved to be pretty vital to the deck, since questing with 6 from the very first turn onwards, plus the progress that Legolas added helped a lot. I didn't really have any problems with willpower actually.

I'm gonna try this at the Carrock, where I'm sure it will work.

Edited by Gizlivadi, 07 January 2014 - 05:47 PM.

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#29 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:41 PM

plus direct attack type effects 

Morgul Vale wlil always hold a special place in my heart for being *the* quest where you want to chain together direct damage effects... five hits and the Nazgul is out in one turn!

#30 Darkjawa

Darkjawa

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:58 PM

So I decided to try Journey Down the Anduin with Dwarf deck to see how the next level of Quests is. I can sum it up with one word, OUCH! The first try was a total disaster. I set up by putting out the Troll as the set up states, then revealed one card as it says to on side B. Guess what that card was? The other TROLL!! Needless to say I was dead by turn three, but I took one of the trolls down with me.

So I tried it again and did better until a total brain fart killed me. I made it to stage 2 (requires 16 tokens to clear). I had 15 tokens on it, and had lost one hero and my other two were hurting, had a few Allys out also. So I needed one more token to clear stage two, I was at 48 Threat. I decided I'll quest with just the Longbeard Eldar and topdeck a location to finish off stage 2. (what the hell was I thinking?). So not only did I not topdeck a location, but totally brain farted on the fact that there was a location in the staging area with a 3 Threat value. Thats right, got crushed by a location in the staging area.

Go ahead and laugh, I wont take it personally.

#31 Darkjawa

Darkjawa

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:49 PM

played 2 solo games today and won both.

1st was A Shadow of the past. My heroes were Elrond, Legolas and Aragorn (lore)

2nd was The 7th Level. My heroes for that were Gimli, Thalin and Thorin Oakenshield

#32 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:58 AM

I set up by putting out the Troll as the set up states, then revealed one card as it says to on side B. Guess what that card was? The other TROLL!! 

I'm pretty sure the quest card specifically states that you need not to add second troll if you already revealed one during setup.

#33 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:29 AM

What happened was, he did it backwards:

Setup: Each player reveals 1 card from the top of the encounter deck, and adds it to the staging area. 
When Revealed: Search the encounter deck for 1 Hill Troll if one is not already in play, and place it in the staging area. Shuffle the encounter deck. Players cannot defeat this stage while any Hill Troll cards are in play.

You're meant to reveal random cards first (not search for the troll).  Then, when you flip, you search the deck for a troll if you don't already have one in play.  

#34 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:08 PM

I've only used the quest log here and there, as I don't really keep score usually, but I do agree that the statistics part is really interesting. I wonder if there was a way for the quest log to expand beyond just being a scores log so that more people would use it. I don't have any bright ideas at the moment, though...

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#35 Darkjawa

Darkjawa

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:23 PM

Ive been using it for most of my victories. I played a two player game yesterday, but forgot to log the info on paper to put it into the log.

#36 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:35 AM

Had a very fun game of Into the Pit tonight with some interesting moments.

Our decks used Lore Aragorn, Bilbo and Frodo on one end, with Tactics Boromir, Balin, and Sam on the other.   Never mind the incongruity of taking Balin to search for his own expedition...

Sudden Pitfall passed harmlessly during Setup. 

We waited for a Northern Tracker to handle the stage 1B locations. This took several rounds even though I had one in my opening hand -- had a setback when I bought Unexpected Courage to offset a Watchful Eyes, and then no Songs or other resource generation came out. 

Finally we made it to 2B.  Very unexpectedly, Boromir was killed by a shadow effect when Balin did not have any resources, even though he had a Gondorian Shield.  This was my fault -- I had just used Balin's last resource to cancel another, very mundane shadow effect. 

Next, the encounter deck was just about to be depleted.  But the second to last card in the deck was Many Roads, and the last one was a location.  This meant that we constructed a new mini-encounter deck composed entirely of locations.  The Cave Torch suddenly became totally safe to use, and Patrol Leaders were guaranteed to take damage.   We used this respite to take out enemies, and went on to stage 3.  

We aimed to win the 3rd stage in one turn, and withheld only Balin and Aragorn from the quest.  Then, Dark and Dreadful was revealed -- exactly as I feared -- and wiped out several allies.  We had 23 willpower but needed 24 to win.  Enter Late Adventurer-- I used this card to commit Aragorn, and we won the game.  I love this card more than I should :)

A very fun game with some twists and turns.

#37 chuckles

chuckles

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:48 PM

Played Blood of Gondor & The Morgul Vale for the first time & experimented with Silvan proxies.

First game was with a friend. I was playing around with Celeborn, Naith & Tree People proxies... really love the way the Silvan characters get a boost upon arrival. (S'Glorifindel & Elrond were my other Hero's). Numerous rounds both S'Glorfindel & Celeborn would be questing & ready - very helpful.

One combo that I really wanted to try but the card never showed up was Silvan Refuge & children of the sea, for 5 willpower injection into the quest and then playing Tree people on the Refuge before the end of the phase. Oh well another time. 

Having never played the quest and not reading up about it took us quite a while to beat, cant remember the number of rounds... but I enjoyed the game mechanics none the less. That treachery card that reveals all your hidden cards, putting locations in the the staging area and activating treachery cards was quite intense the first time it showed up.

Next played a couple of times with a mono tactics solo: Boromir, Beregond & Legolas; it became a bit of a cake walk. I left the crossroads in the staging area and between shield of Gondor, Defender of Rammas & Winged guardian's the questing power was crazy and even losing Beregond in one game didn't slow us down. Finished before the end of the 4th round both times.

Then got crushed by Morgal Vale repeatedly (still playing solo mono tactics, swapped Beregond for Beorn and tweaked deck as I played)... I do like that its a challenge and generally over really quickly... so you can lose again ;).

I decided to keep playing even after I threated out... just to see how close... 60 threat was the lowest in close to a dozen games - D'oh )... guess i'll need to build a specific deck and probably keep away from tactics.

I came really close to winning so many times only for a morgul bodyguard, or a return this enemy to the staging area, or the worst time was when I had 2 or 3 hail of stones... and couldn't return the Nazgul to the staging area, and some some unknown reason decided not to use any of them before the engagement checks... (it was getting late).

Edited by chuckles, 06 February 2014 - 02:07 PM.

"Do not believe him! He has lost all power, save his voice that can still daunt you and deceive you, if you let it."

#38 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:42 PM

After fooling around with this and that theme deck, I just put together some sort of old fashioned tricks to stomp various quests while waiting for VoI.  Recently we've been exploiting Lore Aragorn + Desperate Alliance to reset everybody's threat, and letting Tactics Boromir in a second deck handle just about all combat.  Throw in overkill questing options in the form of ally Faramir, Visionary Leadership, and Sword that was Broken, and you've got a couple of decks that can breeze through most willpower quests.  We just smashed Escape from Dol Guldur this evening without even breaking a sweat.  We'll try these against VoI, but I think the penalties for drawing and having lots of cards in your hands might stymie these decks a bit.

#39 Noccus

Noccus

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:01 AM

After fooling around with this and that theme deck, I just put together some sort of old fashioned tricks to stomp various quests while waiting for VoI.  Recently we've been exploiting Lore Aragorn + Desperate Alliance to reset everybody's threat, and letting Tactics Boromir in a second deck handle just about all combat.  Throw in overkill questing options in the form of ally Faramir, Visionary Leadership, and Sword that was Broken, and you've got a couple of decks that can breeze through most willpower quests.  We just smashed Escape from Dol Guldur this evening without even breaking a sweat.  We'll try these against VoI, but I think the penalties for drawing and having lots of cards in your hands might stymie these decks a bit.

Cool stuff on Lore Aragorn + Desperete Alliance! Never thought of that. I'm so gonna use that for my group.

Thanks for sharing the combo.

"Not all those who wander are lost"

#40 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:15 AM

how dose that reset everyone's threat. You can only use the ability once per game... so you can only reset 1 players threat.

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS