Photo

Race Against the Shadow Tournament - FFG Event Center (Minneapolis, MN)

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:50 AM

The Quest was Journey Along the Anduin. The decks seemed to have a lot of variety. Dwarves and Hobbits made an appearance, but I did not see a thoroughly Outlands deck. The most popular heroes seemed to be Glorfindel (Spirit) and Beregond. I love that there is a nasty shadow effect in this scenario that blanks a defender's defense ability; the Hill Trolls did kill some Beregonds over the course of the afternoon.   :)

From what I saw, most rounds were over in about 4-5 turns, sometimes it took 6 or more, if the encounter deck was particularly nasty on that last quest card. 

I am going to write up a detailed report and get it posted very soon. 

Edited by divinityofnumber, 27 January 2014 - 11:50 AM.

• Narsil0420 likes this

Star Wars LCG: FFG EC Regional 2014 - Top 4; Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion; A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

abUse the Force author on CardGameDB.com

#22 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:56 PM

No nightmare? ?? Then is boring. ..

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#23 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:39 PM

I too enjoy difficult scenarios. In a way, the Race Against the Shadow format turns an ordinary scenario into a Nightmare Scenario, because winning is no longer equal to winning. The goal becomes trying to win in a very specific way, which is a fun task to undertake from deck-building and gameplay perspectives. 

Star Wars LCG: FFG EC Regional 2014 - Top 4; Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion; A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

#24 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:42 PM

I too enjoy difficult scenarios. In a way, the Race Against the Shadow format turns an ordinary scenario into a Nightmare Scenario, because winning is no longer equal to winning. The goal becomes trying to win in a very specific way, which is a fun task to undertake from deck-building and gameplay perspectives. 

Really true these words. I agree totally

• divinityofnumber likes this

A wizard is never late..., he arrives precisely when it is the last round

#25 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:19 PM

Really true these words. I agree totally

I never try it (Mean TRAS format) so looks like i miss something here…….. 

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#26 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:25 AM

Report posted over at CardGameDB:

http://www.cardgamed...the-shadow-r974

#27 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:27 AM

playing for points is ridiculous.

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#28 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:26 AM

playing for points is ridiculous.

It really is fun. You should give it a try, if you have a group of LoTR players in your area. It is fun to build some decks specifically designed to combat a particular quest, and to reach the win condition as fast as possible. It is technically a tournament, but does not have that intense competitive feel. It is a sort of group project to see who can design the best decks for a given scenario. 

Also, aren't we always playing for points in some sense? Many people use the Quest Log, and I always keep track of my scores, even when playing solo. It is fun to reach new personal bests. 

#29 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:27 AM

Nice write-up! I hope that more places try out the format, if for no other reason than to get more LOTR LCG playing out there in stores..

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS