Photo

Race Against the Shadow Tournament - FFG Event Center (Minneapolis, MN)

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:19 PM

There will be a Race Against the Shadow Tournament at the Fantasy Flight Event Center on Sunday, January 26th at 2:00pm. Please arrive by 1:30pm. 

The tournament will begin promptly at 2pm, and there will be a pairing process for those who do not arrive with a teammate.

There is no strict requirement that you bring a decklist with you, but decks must conform to the rules as stated in the latest Core Rules and FAQ, which can be found on the FFG support page for the game.

That said, please do bring a decklist. If people do this, then I will be able to run some statistical analyses on the data and post a bunch of interesting numbers for all to see after the event.

Also, the Race Against the Shadow format does require the use of a timer, such as a chess clock. There are plenty of mobile apps for this, and some phones do this anyway. That is something to be mindful of.

Edited by divinityofnumber, 20 December 2013 - 01:25 PM.

Star Wars LCG: FFG EC Regional 2014 - Top 4; Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion; A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

abUse the Force author on CardGameDB.com

#2 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 869 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:40 PM

I'm out on the West Coast so I won't make it, but if I were local and had nothing to do I'd go. But here's the big problem which FFG is aware of: the game is designed as a cooperative effort - and it succeeds well at that. As it stands the game doesn't support enough archetypes for a pseudo vs game to work. I would put Dwarves at tier 1 and Outlands slightly behind. (But I'm only going on word of mouth for Outlands since I'm not interested in that play style.). Elves is a full tier down right now and attachments might be on the same level, but I'm not sure.

A long as the scoring system doesn't penalize for dead allies one play style will reign supreme. Truth.
Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#3 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:14 PM

The Race Against the Shadow tournament will happen on Sunday, January 26th at the FFG Event Center. Time of day TBD. I will update this thread when I find out. 

Star Wars LCG: FFG EC Regional 2014 - Top 4; Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion; A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

#4 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:12 AM

sounds very interesting. please update us.

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#5 Narsil0420

Narsil0420

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:07 AM

Awesome! I wish I could go but live in CA.

Let us know how it turns out. I haven't used the format yet.

One thing I was wondering about: Does it specify how many people need to be playing or can you do any number?

#6 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:38 AM

Also should be some restricted list other wise ever one will play dwarfs decks…..

#7 Style75

Style75

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:37 AM

.... or Outland decks. I'd be curious to see which type (dwarf vs. outlands) would be better in the tournament format.

#8 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:28 PM

Updated the first post with more details. 

The rules for the format say that the pool of possible scenarios is announced slightly in advance, and then people, in teams of 2 (in this case), build what they judge to be the best decks, given the possible pool of scenarios. It will be really interesting to see what people bring. 

I am encouraging everyone to bring decklists, so that I can do some statistical analyses and generate an interesting report for everyone on the various fora. 

• Narsil0420 likes this

#9 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:42 PM

Bumping this thread so that it stays visible. 

#10 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:06 AM

Bumping this thread because the event is drawing near. As always, please email or message me with any questions!

#11 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:02 AM

.... or Outland decks. I'd be curious to see which type (dwarf vs. outlands) would be better in the tournament format.

Dwarves, obviously, with that broken combo found by some player not so long ago.

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#12 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:23 PM

Yes without some restricted or banned list tournament will be full of dwarves or outlands decks

#13 Karlson

Karlson

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:06 PM

I'm going to show up with my Seafarers of South Gondor deck and win it all!  

ffg_envoy-of-pelargir-hon.jpgffg_pelargir-ship-captain-tmv.jpgffg_pelargir-shipwright-aoo.jpg

Now, if only I had the Ship Captain's actual ship... I guess I'll have to hold out and hope for an attachment.

Edited by Karlson, 08 January 2014 - 04:07 PM.

• divinityofnumber, Narsil0420, CJMatos and 2 others like this

#14 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:24 PM

Great initiative ! 

I am totally confident everyone will be having a great time regardless of what is going to be played.
Sorry divinityofnumber, I live thousands miles from Minneapolis, otherwise I would have gladly joined 
the party ! 

#15 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:36 PM

Yes without some restricted or banned list tournament will be full of dwarves or outlands decks

The tournament will adhere to the latest FAQ and rules documents. So, that means that all bans, errata, etc., will be enforced. 

#16 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:54 PM

If I do tournaments I will banned Dain, Herluim and Will of the west. Also U coueage limit 1 per deck. That for sure.... and maybe some other cards too.....

#17 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:54 PM

Bumping this thread because the tournament is getting close!

#18 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:56 AM

Next Sunday!

#19 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:55 AM

We had ten brave souls show up to play in the Race Against the Shadow tournament yesterday. The weather here in Minnesota was fierce and brutal, but 10 of us were present for an afternoon of LoTR. I will post a detailed report later, but wanted to bump the thread and say that it was a lot of fun. 

The approaches people took to the scenario were similar and also quite different. The main goal is, of course, speed. So, all of the decks had an element of urgency to them, trimming down on cards that are meant for the long game in favor of cards that simply attempt to sprint to the finish line, leaving many allies and even some heroes dead or bloody. 

#20 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 869 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:29 AM

What was the quest and what archetype was most represented? Outlands? Dwarves?
Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS