Cursed to Blessed and Vice Versa

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Musha Shukou

Musha Shukou

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:14 AM

Is there ever any situation where, if you're cursed or blessed, you just flip the card over to the other side instead of discarding it? In other words, can you ever go straight from being cursed to being blessed or vice versa, skipping the intermediary "normal" status?

#2 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:36 AM

I play it as you described only when it specifically states "you are IMMEDIATELY blessed". I think Rex Murphy's Personal Story says that. Otherwise, if it says only "you are cursed" or "you are blessed", if I already have the opposite card they cancel each other out, as the rule book says.

#3 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:04 AM

Tox,

A strict reading on the rules however still wouldn't change Rex Murphy's status to Blessed if he were still Cursed at the time he Passes his Personal Story.  I've always played it that he finally (unless he's obtained a Bless earlier in the game) discards his Curse.

Cheers,

Joe

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#4 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:59 AM

Aye, agreed with Joe. Imagine "0" being without Blessings or Curses, "-1" as being "Cursed", "+1" as being "Blessed". Being blessed gives a +1, so that if you're actually at "-1" you raise to "0", if already at "0" you move to "+1". There are no effects giving you a "+2" or a "-2"

(not so sure it's clear what I'm saying...)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#5 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,593 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:37 PM

Yeah "immediate" is irrelevant here. Rex goes from "Cursed" to "Neutral."

And... there is one instance of a "flip" occurring: there's an OW card in the King in Yellow that specifies (rather sloppily) that "destinies reverse" or something and you're supposed to change to Blessed of you were Cursed, and vice-versa.

#6 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:22 PM

And... there is one instance of a "flip" occurring: there's an OW card in the King in Yellow that specifies (rather sloppily) that "destinies reverse" or something and you're supposed to change to Blessed of you were Cursed, and vice-versa.

True, I forgot about that, thanks :)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#7 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:39 PM

Julia,

Clear, as always, my friend.

Tibs,

Yes, good example of the singular time that one moves immediately from one status to the other.

Cheers,

Joe

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#8 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:38 PM

Yes, that encounter must work like that otherwise it would just make you lose your Blessing or Curse in both cases.

I'll start playing Rex as you described then, he's powerful enough as he is :)

#9 Musha Shukou

Musha Shukou

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:50 PM

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks, Tibs!

#10 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:39 AM

Just out of curiousity, if Rex fails his personal story, does that mean he simply can't become Blessed or that he cannot cease being Cursed by being Blessed?

#11 ceridan13

ceridan13

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:19 AM

I would say both. By that I mean you cannot get rid of the Curse condition by any encounters that allow you to be Blessed and also that you cannot aquire Blessed condition in any case.
Example:
Cursed Rex is having the following ecnouncter in the Science Building:
Knowing that you are engaged in God's work, Father Michael Blesses you.
In this case (and the same goes for non-Cursed Rex) he discards this encounter card with no further effect and keeps his Curse until he rolls 1 during his upkeep.

Edited: I think the same applies to other Investigators Blessing you in South Church.

Edited by ceridan13, 09 December 2013 - 03:21 AM.

#12 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:26 AM

Ceridan, Rex never rolls for Curses during Upkeep (it's stated under Family Curse on his sheet).

The Accepted Doom condition is kinda tricky. I talked about this with Avi a long time ago: in the last scenario of his League, you have all investigators starting with their PS failed. I got an OW encounter during turn 2 that Blessed Rex and I removed his curse. We talked about this, and we weren't able to find any proper answer to the topic because the wording is too sloppy.

In my view of the game, leaving an investigator permanently Cursed is too heavy, especially because it's very improbable that someone whould sacrifice ten Clues with Rex in order to have him passing his PS. So, I play that the failed condition of his PS implies he can still get rid of curses by buying blessings, but he can't buy a Blessing / be Blessed to actually "possess a Blessing card" (so, Cursed or "no blessings no curses" are ok; Blessed can never happen)

Edited by Julia, 09 December 2013 - 04:26 AM.

#13 ceridan13

ceridan13

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:41 AM

Ceridan, Rex never rolls for Curses during Upkeep (it's stated under Family Curse on his sheet).

Sorry for this, I don't have that expansion yet...

#14 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:10 AM

Sorry for this, I don't have that expansion yet...

No probs :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS