Faking a Sactioning Brand

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ThenDoctor

ThenDoctor

• Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:16 AM

Can you fake a sanctioning brand? Does it go under the filter of "Sanctioning isn't just a mark it's x process that genuinely changes this about the person"?

If anything has anyone been in a situation where a sanctioning brand was faked?

I've made an expanded Divination table for Dark Heresy Second Edition.Find it here: 

http://community.fan...general-thread/

#2 TK Ghost

TK Ghost

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:30 PM

I've never read of anyone ever faking a sanctioning brand. Certainly a character wouldn't have any benefits, or complications, from the sanctioning process. I for one would have no problem with a Rogue Psyker, allied to an influential radical Inquisitor, getting a fake brand. But that is just personal opinion and not set-in-stone law.

I'd be interested in hearing what your ideas are for why anyone would want to fake the brand. I'm assuming it's to fool authorities, but the brand will mark you as a psyker and the superstitious Imperial citizens would be very cautious of the character. Therefore a rogue psyker would draw attention, rather than avoid it. Remember 40K is like the dark ages. Mobs with torches and pitchfolks need little excuse.

Hope this helps.

They Came

They Saw

They Ate

http://tyrannicwar.blogspot.co.uk/

#3 ThenDoctor

ThenDoctor

• Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:44 PM

To fake out the general public if said throne agent were to use a psyker power. Basically a "I just used a power but it's ok basic level arbite that doesn't know any better I have a sanctioning brand."

Better the fake the higher level authority that can be duped, you know unless they go digging but I'm assuming that branch of files is under pretty heavy protection and security anyways.

I've made an expanded Divination table for Dark Heresy Second Edition.Find it here: 

#4 TK Ghost

TK Ghost

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:27 AM

Ok then, this is what I think:

To fake a sanctioning brand you need to know what you're doing. Bearing in mind that there might be more involved than just a hot poker...sizzle....scream of agony......done.

I think you can do this one of two ways:

(1) The one performing the counterfeit needs to pass an intelligence test to do so. Every degree of success makes it more difficult for others to see through it. Every degree of failure.... :o....will leave it's scars and not fool anyone.

OR

(2) Just do an opposed Intelligence test each time the character is under suspicion, using the Int of the one doing the branding and the Int/Per of the anyone suspicious of the character.

My preference would be (1), with any and all adversaries needing to pass an Int/Per test to see through it. Unless it failed, in which case your character is left scarred..... :(....in more ways than one.

Edited by TK Ghost, 08 December 2013 - 08:29 AM.

They Came

They Saw

They Ate

#5 ThenDoctor

ThenDoctor

• Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:15 AM

I'm supposing Forrbidden Lore (Psyker) to know about various brands. Trade (tattoo (I think that's a thing, I'd let it include scarification as well)) and depending on the successes of those rolls is equivalent to the quality of the brand.

That way if the forger is knowledgible but not skilled then he may know a rare brand regardless of how bad it looks, vice versa if it's a common brand then it looks great. If both then it's rare, authentic, and looks very convincing.

• TK Ghost likes this

#6 lord inquisitor Iannise

lord inquisitor Iannise

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:00 PM

Why doesn't this psyker just legitimately go through the Sanctioning, he's a throne agent. His inquisitor would surely vouch for his ability's and most (like 99.9%) of the time spent Sanctioning is training the psyker how not to accidentally kill himself. So if he's made it (survived) to throne agent, he's most likely a very stable individual.     

#7 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:40 AM

Why doesn't this psyker just legitimately go through the Sanctioning, he's a throne agent. His inquisitor would surely vouch for his ability's and most (like 99.9%) of the time spent Sanctioning is training the psyker how not to accidentally kill himself. So if he's made it (survived) to throne agent, he's most likely a very stable individual.     

Sanctioning is a process that takes years and involves invasive, dangerous surgeries and gruelling, often debilitating, physical punishment, as well as intense mental conditioning and indoctrination.

That said, the Inquisitor could likely sanction him in other ways, but that would be without going through the whole sanctioning process.

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#8 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

The Empire Needs You!

• Members
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:51 AM

However, the process of getting sanctioned would deprive the inquisitor of a useful minion for several years to 'do it properly'. He is, of course, capable of just declaring 'this guy is sanctioned, deal with it', and informing the local telepathica, but the more cynical Inquisitor might not bother, say "screw it, he's going to die anyway" and just use him till he burns out. Besides which, openly bypassing the scholastica psykana's "approved" sanctioning process, especially if he makes a habit of it, comes with a political price - making enemies both of the psyker-related Adeptus and via them quite a few of the Ordo Hereticus. By comparison, what they don't know won't hurt them (as long as he doesn't get caught).

As to the faking of it... The brand is certainly fake-able. Forbidden Lore (Psykers) or whatever would let you know what it should look like and Trade (Scrimshawer, Tatooist, etc) would let you recreate it well enough to fool generic magistratum spod number 1,657,109. What it won't do is create the matching documentation/paperwork in 'the system'.  

So it's valuable if someone is aware 'you're a psyker' and has no reason to look up the details - if, for example, encountering an individual with psynicience, they will be aware you're also a psyker, but will see the brand and think 'fair enough'. Throne help you if they decide to come and make small talk after seeing what they think is another member of their adeptus, though, because if the conversation goes the wrong way they may figure out you've never actually been to Terra.

Equally, someone with a sanctioning brand could carry stuff like a psy-focus without attracting comment from someone at spaceport 'customs' or similar - they may not know what it is but they know the astra telepathica logo, see the brand, and say "sanctionate kit, sanctionate brand, get on the bus."

Using it to put down an arbitrator who's seen you use your powers depends very much on your level of influence; if you can say "we're the inquisition", have a badge of office to prove it and have confidence that your boss will back you up, you don't really need to justify anything. Murder, psychic powers, whatever.

If not, you'll be taken into custody until the boss (or someone representing you) has you released. At which point, if you've been witnessed manifesting psychic powers, expect the Arbites to compare your name and brand identifiers against their list of sanctionate who are supposed to be present in the sector. Which, unless the inquisitor chose to take care of this for you, it isn't on. At this point, all sorts of fun will commence.

Edited by Magnus Grendel, 09 December 2013 - 02:55 AM.

• TK Ghost likes this

#9 Quietus1

Quietus1

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:40 PM

I wouldn't even assume throne agents would HAVE a sanctioning brand unless it was needed for some sort of cover. If they had one to begin with, I would assume it would have been removed. Why would an inquisitorial agent walk around with an "I'm a Psyker" sign on them? Loss of any element of surprise, potential distrust of citizenry (although the book does go to pains to state that the brand mitigates that), if captured, captors know to keep you drugged out of your mind (and if they search you thoroughly then even hidden brands can be found), etc etc.

#10 ThenDoctor

ThenDoctor

• Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:17 PM

You want a noticable one because if you use a psyker power anywhere near anyone and no one sees a brand they shoot first and don't bother asking questions. Having the brand is essentially a time buyer for when you're around people that are scared of psykers to stop them from immediately pulling a gun or inciting a mob.

#11 lord inquisitor Iannise

lord inquisitor Iannise

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:29 PM

Sanctioning is a process that takes years and involves invasive, dangerous surgeries and gruelling, often debilitating, physical punishment, as well as intense mental conditioning and indoctrination.

That said, the Inquisitor could likely sanction him in other ways, but that would be without going through the whole sanctioning process.

So you agree with me?

#12 TK Ghost

TK Ghost

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:45 PM

On the bright side, if you're a psyker with the "Forget Me" minor psychic power you could just wave your hand and say:

"I'm not the one you're looking for"

• Avdnm likes this

They Came

They Saw

They Ate

#13 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:17 PM

So you agree with me?

No. Like I said, there's a lot of problems with going through the sanctioning process and one of the DH books even mentions that a character that gets arrested or sent away for sanctioning is effectively retired from play.

What the Inquisitor needs to do - if the Inquisitor even knows he's a psyker - is to have him officially branded, abuse the technicalities of sanctioning, and have someone imprint whatever mental engram that is necessary. That is, if it's even in his interest or if he considers it worth his time.

Actually going through the sanctioning process is just a straight-up no-go.

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#14 Annaamarth

Annaamarth

• Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:56 PM

Also consider that there is a chance that any psyker (who isn't alpha-grade) has a solid chance of getting fed to the Throne as part of the sanctioning process.  Every sanctioned psyker has been before the Golden Throne, even if most of them repressed that rather terrifying memory, and made it out alive- which makes them lucky, as well as filled with potential.

A useful 'rogue' psyker would absolutely *not* be turned over for sanctioning by a radical inquisitor, but may well fake a sanctioning precisely to have an off-the-books 'sanctioned' psyker- can you think of a better tool for infiltrating the ranks of high nobility, criminal underworlds, questionable military units or even legitimate business?  Sanctioned psykers are useful to nearly everyone, but also feared... and they attract no more notice than a particularly nasty attack dog in most circles.  'This entity is a threat, avoid irritating.'

The deep cover possibilities of an unsanctioned psyker with Inquisitorial backing astound.

RIP AND TEAR THROUGH THE TIDE OF BLOOD WITH BATTLESUIT PILOT. SUPLEX HIVE TYRANTS. DO WHATEVER, YOU'RE PILOTING A HUGE-ASS MECHA.

-Errant, on how Rogue Trader ought to be played

#15 ColArana

ColArana

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:32 AM

Also consider that there is a chance that any psyker (who isn't alpha-grade) has a solid chance of getting fed to the Throne as part of the sanctioning process.  Every sanctioned psyker has been before the Golden Throne, even if most of them repressed that rather terrifying memory, and made it out alive- which makes them lucky, as well as filled with potential.

Wait, where is this listed? I am legitimately curious where it's mentioned that every sanctioned psyker has been before the throne.

Edited by ColArana, 15 December 2013 - 04:37 AM.

#16 Green Knight

Green Knight

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:31 AM

They don't. Only the soul-bonded ones (aka astropaths).

#17 lord inquisitor Iannise

lord inquisitor Iannise

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:33 PM

So you agree with me?

No. Like I said, there's a lot of problems with going through the sanctioning process and one of the DH books even mentions that a character that gets arrested or sent away for sanctioning is effectively retired from play.

What the Inquisitor needs to do - if the Inquisitor even knows he's a psyker - is to have him officially branded, abuse the technicalities of sanctioning, and have someone imprint whatever mental engram that is necessary. That is, if it's even in his interest or if he considers it worth his time.

Actually going through the sanctioning process is just a straight-up no-go.

by vouch i mean him saying hey, you know that 3d10 year psykers need to get sanctioned ya he doesn't need that, just give him the tat so we can get back to work.  

#18 ThenDoctor

ThenDoctor

• Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:17 PM

While an inquisitor might be able to do that, ticking off a governental group of people who blow stuff up with literal hell energy for a living isn't a good idea. Not to mention that Puritans won't take lightly to psykers just getting stamped through.

#19 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:12 AM

You also need to make a faked entry in the "tome of sanctioned psykers" on holy terra.

Furthermore you need to fake the "psykers of the month" newsletter for the galaxy.

Respect your brothers and you will also be respected.

#20 Avdnm

Avdnm

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:50 AM

Take a look into DH Ascension P.48, "The Mind's Eye Opens". Sanctioning withing 1d5 years! Don't see a problem here... we had this once in our group, and the GM went the easy way by letting the newly psyker have a nice ride through the warp to terra and back, while the rest of the team had a ****** up ride, so time passed fast for the psyker, and slowly for the team. i.e. when the team came out of the warp, the psyker was almost back and sanctioned ;)

Edited by Avdnm, 15 January 2014 - 08:51 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS