Expanding Expansions

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 Zaltyre

Zaltyre

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:33 PM

I dont think monsters having traits would work, how do we distinguish what traits the existing monsters have easily ? without having to refer to some document that is which would make the game a bit annoying, ie everything thats needed to know about the monster should be written on the card.

How do we know what existing conditions have what traits ? There is nothing indicating on the all cards released up to date have which trait. 

Its an interesting idea, don't get me wrong but i feel its only a plan that could have worked if they were implemented from the beginning of the base game.

The ideas that have been brought up though are indeed good game design ideas that should have been thought about when creating the original base game.

This is a long overdue response, but the thread came to the top.

It's not too late- the "traits" wouldn't need to be listed on the cards themselves- you would just need to release a card, say 1 copy for each player, that outlines the conditions and which traits they possess. A "condition summary" card, much like the "turn summary" card that currently exists. It wouldn't even have to retroactively restrict monsters that have specific condition abilities listed.

A single release could contain only the reference card, and potentially (not required) condition cards and tokens. The only limitation to a release like this is that it would have to be done AFTER all conditions for the game have been published.

EDIT: Come to think of it, this could be a purely OL mechanic. The heroes wouldn't need their own cards, since each weapon can still be printed with specific conditions.

Edited by Zaltyre, 05 June 2014 - 01:39 PM.

#62 griton

griton

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:32 AM

It's not too late- the "traits" wouldn't need to be listed on the cards themselves- you would just need to release a card, say 1 copy for each player, that outlines the conditions and which traits they possess. A "condition summary" card, much like the "turn summary" card that currently exists. It wouldn't even have to retroactively restrict monsters that have specific condition abilities listed.

I think it'll be more likely that something like this would come up in a Lieutenant Pack. Include the condition in the Lt. Pack and have one of the cards say something to the effect of "Play this card at the start of an encounter. For the duration of the encounter, each attack from a monster with the Fire trait gains "(surge): Burning".

• Zaltyre likes this

#63 Zaltyre

Zaltyre

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:27 AM

I think it'll be more likely that something like this would come up in a Lieutenant Pack. Include the condition in the Lt. Pack and have one of the cards say something to the effect of "Play this card at the start of an encounter. For the duration of the encounter, each attack from a monster with the Fire trait gains "(surge): Burning".

Also doable.I don't mind the limited infliction of conditions, as it's (often) a good idea to just do more damage anyway.

#64 BentoSan

BentoSan

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:41 PM

This is a long overdue response, but the thread came to the top.

A single release could contain only the reference card, and potentially (not required) condition cards and tokens. The only limitation to a release like this is that it would have to be done AFTER all conditions for the game have been published.

EDIT: Come to think of it, this could be a purely OL mechanic. The heroes wouldn't need their own cards, since each weapon can still be printed with specific conditions.

Don't you think its incredibly game breaking just slapping a condition onto every monster in the game ?

#65 Zaltyre

Zaltyre

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:29 PM

Yes- I like that conditions aren't an every attack occurrence- it would also greatly detract from monster differentiation. I'm not suggesting FFG implement this idea, I'm just suggesting a model by which it could be implemented.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS