• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 rugal

rugal

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:49 PM

For Valyndra, maybe not, even if i do prefer Aura to burning

but, for some others, it will poses somes troubles. For example, Ariad in his lieutenant version roll 1 blue + 2 green, and in his agent version, she rolls 1 bleu + 2 yellow

And I must say it's more powerfull, and a bit disapointing

#42 aniedrig

aniedrig

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:59 PM

... so here I go again with this topic.

I guess all of you have read that FFG will re-release the 1. edition monsters and Heroes with updated visuals and cards. 

Here is what bothers me again.

NONE of the old/new monsters will apply the green power die, since it was not included in the base set. And none (I am repeating myself) will apply any of the conditions from the expansion packs.

I mean seriously, does that not bother you, too?

Especially ignoring the green power dice is something that bothers a lot, since they have become a very nice core component of the game and add more variety and possibilities to the combat system.

I was already sad that they were not considered in the conversion kit, but now that they are re-releasing all those monsters they should REALLY consider the green power dice as a core component.  :(

I mean, I don't want to end up having 30 monsters all having the same attack during Act I: blue red and blue yellow. That is boring indeed and could be prevented, if only FFG would think about it.

Edited by aniedrig, 27 January 2014 - 02:02 PM.

#43 bigObob

bigObob

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:44 PM

If you can build consensus with whoever you are playing with, you can change this yourself. My group has changed a few rules to accomidate different challenges we have with the game. As long as everyone agrees and is happy with the changes go with it.

#44 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:40 PM

Here is what bothers me again.

NONE of the old/new monsters will apply the green power die, since it was not included in the base set. And none (I am repeating myself) will apply any of the conditions from the expansion packs.

I mean seriously, does that not bother you, too?

It bothers me a little, but I'm sort of used to it by now. Anything you see in an expansion is not going to come back, unless it's re-introduced in another expansion. With only very few exceptions, they aren't going to make one expansion require another for use.

Given this is their policy, and given how many expansions they are known to pump out for a game that sells well enough, I think it would behoove FFG to start thinking a little more about what they put in the core box of any new game.

For example, Descent would've worked a lot better if ALL the conditions they wanted to use were in the core game. Likewise all the dice. They made the right move with archetypes and classes - put all the archetypes in the core box and expand with classes. It would be nice it they could put so much forethought into all aspects of the game. I mean, at this point no one is going to be surprised when they release expansions, so they ought to start planning ahead that way.

However, that's all so much wishful thinking. The only way to fix it now would be D3E, and I'm really hoping that's more than a few years away.

#45 Underworld40k

Underworld40k

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:30 AM

No reason that as they re-tweak some monster stats (as the preview shows they have done so for shiver) for the hero and monster collections they cant add condition effects or adjust the dice rolled. As these are expansion packs in there own right they can follow established precedent and add green dice and conditions.

No idea if they will but no reason to rule it out completely yet.

• Subt1e and frankelee like this

#46 Mowca

Mowca

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:48 AM

One of possible solution for this issue is to release a themed monster/hero packs. For example release all fire monsters/heroes in a single box with burning condition cards inside.

• griton likes this

#47 griton

griton

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:37 AM

One of possible solution for this issue is to release a themed monster/hero packs. For example release all fire monsters/heroes in a single box with burning condition cards inside.

They're already releasing them according to themes, so I can definitely see them doing this. Let's only hope.

So one expansion for all monsters with burn, and one expansion for all monsters that use a green die.

• Mowca likes this

#48 Mowca

Mowca

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:59 AM

They're already releasing them according to themes, so I can definitely see them doing this. Let's only hope.

So one expansion for all monsters with burn, and one expansion for all monsters that use a green die.

And then one with cursed stance hope.

#49 Necrohexel

Necrohexel

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:37 PM

I guess all of you have read that FFG will re-release the 1. edition monsters and Heroes with updated visuals and cards. 

Hey, I'm a new player and I'm actually excited by this news! Can anyone provide a link for this announcement please? I'd like to see if there's a bit more info about this, price or date for this re-release. Anyway awesome news!

#50 Mowca

Mowca

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:37 PM

]

Sorry for this post :)

Edited by Mowca, 28 January 2014 - 04:42 PM.

#51 Mowca

Mowca

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:40 PM

Edited by Mowca, 28 January 2014 - 04:41 PM.

• Robin likes this

#52 Necrohexel

Necrohexel

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:07 PM

Thank you!

#53 DeeJay507

DeeJay507

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:44 PM

Just came today to these forums since I was bothered by exactly the same things as the OP.

However I'm not so sure if this is a problem or not. 

I believe we have 3 issues:

1) Terrain - tiles from expansions are only used in the scenarios from expansion. Never will tiles from 2 expansions be mixed together. 

It might not be true. The tiles are numbered, like 43A from LoR. If future expansion needs such tile, it can easily be also present in this expansion.

This means that if some player buys a lot of expansion he might run into having more than one of each piece which isn't necessarily bad. We also have a quest vault where we can build multi-expansion scenarios. 

Also FFG could release multi-expansion scenarios that are only for players that have all of them or some set of them. 

2) Conditions:

a) From hero perspective, it is not a problem as there are a lot of abilities: Choose 1 condition. Target suffers that condition. Plus there are items in each expansion that use certain specific conditions and heroes will be able to obtain them. The more expansion are there the more items in shop decks, but the more we have options of "searching" through the deck to find what we need. 

b) from OL perspective he always has access to all conditions through the open groups. However, no new monsters will burn, which is thematically strange. 

But this could also be remedied, by introducing alternative lieutenant and monster cards. Or just monster and hero packs that would require certain expansions.

Also there could be, that some expansion in the future will again re-introduce burn. No big deal. 

OL could also get abilities where he can choose conditions freely, just as heroes. 

3) Dice - this is not a problem at all, since from Labirynth of Ruin each expansion will contain green dice. It is also not expected that some expansion in the future would introduce another die. And even if it is so, the cost of each expansion would be increased by 1 die. Not a huge cost, so no problem. 

-----

That said, I see a problem in the Lieutenant decks design. Lieutenants SHOULD/MUST be tied to the expansion they came from!!! I also don't like how some Lieutenant plot decks are ignoring the core rules that were brought by expansions. For example Belthir ignores the fact that there is a Basic II deck in LoR. 

IMO this should be re-thinked by FFG. 

#54 Subt1e

Subt1e

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:59 PM

The thing is; not everybody buys expansions, much less all of them, so it's only a problem for a very vocal minority. I can't afford everything FFG comes out with for this game. Hell, I didn't even know board games had expansions! Yeah some things aren't perfect or could have used some forethought in the initial design; like conditions, but I still love the game as it is and I'm surprised they actually take our input into consideration.

IMHO Dragons should all have "Burn" they spit fire after all... Maybe FFG will come up with a solution, like updated cards for old monsters with new conditions in the next expansions where they could start repeating conditions.

Edited by Subt1e, 29 January 2014 - 09:59 PM.

#55 Alowan

Alowan

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:26 AM

Pretty sure they would just include the condition cards again in an expansion if they use it. 

They did that for a few things - only the secret rooms comes to mind atm, but I know there is more.

#56 Krawallburste

Krawallburste

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:04 AM

uhm - i've read this quite often now.

everyone keeps talking about heroes and monsters getting REDESIGNS in the upcoming "Hero and Monster Collections"

some people say that monsters, heroes, feats and stats will be changed or adjusted.

i have not found any official statement to this and am inclined to say that there is NO redesign in terms of game mechanics, only a visual upgrade - or do i miss out on something?

since everymonster and hero was put into the conversion kit they cannot change any mechanic they have introduced already - or can they?

also i do not think it likely, that monsters will get expansion-like abilities, such like burn, because again - you would need to buy an expansion for the collection to work - which would be again against ffg's expanding-habits....

#57 Underworld40k

Underworld40k

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:15 AM

Krawallburste, the preview clearly shows that shiver has had at least 2 hp added to his total from the conversion kit even if it does not say it in words the image is visible. 

As these are expansions in their own right there is no practical reason that they cannot include conditions and tokens as necessary as it would allow everyone who bought the expansion access to the conditions/dice/ability in the same mold that they do now.

• Subt1e likes this

#58 Krawallburste

Krawallburste

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:25 AM

ah - missed out on that - ty :D

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS