Photo

The Unofficial Species Menagerie... The Final Revision (the true "Official" USM Thread)

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 Eonstar

Eonstar

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:23 AM

This pdf is really useful. I would have never thought about awarding automatic advantages such as in the Zeltron species.

I was about to create the Zeltron and the Togruta according to d20 UAA. Those in the pdf are really close to what I thought they would be like in EotE.

This is a pdf I will often use.

Thanks for your hard work.

• ObiWanBilbo likes this

#62 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:35 AM

So, it turns out this probably won't be the "final version" after all.

Cyril and I are taking stock of the various species we've done that haven't had FFG write-ups yet, and reviewing them based upon our increased familiarity with the system and in light of some of the rather innovative takes in the official species, particularly in the wake of Enter the Unknown and Suns of Fortune.

There's no time-table on when this "updated" version will occur; much like Duke Nukem Forever, it'll be finished when it's finished.  Though hopefully it won't be several years from now.

I've already added a few more species to the document, and Cyril's got a few more he's looking to include as well.

I'm undecided at the moment about what to do with some of the older species that we did that have gotten official versions.  I might just exclude them, or we might keep them in as a sort of "historical archive" and "alternate selections" for those GMs/players that are less than enthused with the official versions.

• NicoDavout, ObiWanBilbo and jerrypocalypse like this

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#63 jerrypocalypse

jerrypocalypse

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:48 AM

I don't suppose once Zeb's species from Rebels gets revealed, and some details about it are released, you'd consider throwing that in the USM would you?

• kaosoe likes this

#64 Eonstar

Eonstar

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:03 PM

I think that I would add a Boost Die instead of an automatic success to the Zeltron's Charm, Deception, and Negotiation rolls.

What is your take about it?

#65 Eonstar

Eonstar

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:04 PM

About updating the file, it would be nice to see your versions as well as the official versions in the same pdf.

#66 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:44 PM

I think that I would add a Boost Die instead of an automatic success to the Zeltron's Charm, Deception, and Negotiation rolls.

This was discussed a lot in a past thread. I'm too lazy to track the thread down, but adding an unconditional boost die to 1 specific skill, and especially 3 specific skills, is a huge bonus, a lot more powerful than any other class feature published so far.

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#67 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

• Members
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:41 PM

This was discussed a lot in a past thread. I'm too lazy to track the thread down, but adding an unconditional boost die to 1 specific skill, and especially 3 specific skills, is a huge bonus, a lot more powerful than any other class feature published so far.

Exactly.  A boost die is a pretty big deal.

Earlier versions of the Zeltrons had a Boost die to Charm checks, but it was brought up on the d20 Radio boards that doing so made Zeltrons hyper-focused on charm.  Thus, dropping to "add Advantage" but opening the skill selection to make them the social experts they've generally been presented as.

That said, they're getting a second look (pretty much every species is), so we'll see what changes.

• kaosoe likes this

#68 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:33 AM

I figured you'd do that, even when I asked if you would and you said 'No'. :P
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point if EU.

#69 Eonstar

Eonstar

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:59 AM

I thought it through and I get your point which is a good one.

Adding a Boost die to three skills could provide more successes which is quite a big deal as you said so. And since their pheromones give the Zeltrons bonuses to some social skills (ref.: UAA), it is quite obvious that it gives them an advantage in social situations.

I will analyse other species from another point view from now on.

Thanks

• kaosoe likes this

#70 Eonstar

Eonstar

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:47 PM

Any thoughts on Yuuzhan Vong stats yet?

#71 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:24 AM

Now, having new species with 3 3 2 2 1 1 and 4 2 2 2 1 1, the combinations to stat species are much more. It may be a lot of work to redo the document, but the gain in diversity is worth the effort :) 

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#72 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

• Members
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:43 PM

Now, having new species with 3 3 2 2 1 1 and 4 2 2 2 1 1, the combinations to stat species are much more. It may be a lot of work to redo the document, but the gain in diversity is worth the effort :)

The trick is "is there really a justification for going with one of those odd Characteristic arrangements?"

For a lot of the ones that I worked on, the answer is "No."  In some cases, it could lead to crippling overspecialization, making the species a lot less appealing for potential players.  In others, if I were to implement one of those arrangements, it'd be more of a gimmick than what I honestly feel the species should be.

#73 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:07 PM

We have one species with a 4 in one skill, but it it intellect. I wonder how different having species options with a 4 in a combat-related skill will be.

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#74 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:09 PM

We have one species with a 4 in one skill, but it it intellect. I wonder how different having species options with a 4 in a combat-related skill will be.

Dumber than shoe leather I'd imagine......

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#75 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:44 AM

Depending on the focus of the games / campaign.

#76 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:47 AM

For a lot of the ones that I worked on, the answer is "No."  In some cases, it could lead to crippling overspecialization, making the species a lot less appealing for potential players.  In others, if I were to implement one of those arrangements, it'd be more of a gimmick than what I honestly feel the species should be.

In that aspect I liked more the Saga ed. The species had more diversification on the stats and special abilities than in this edition. That is why I like that they have opened a bit more the possibilities by including the two threes and a four possibility.

#77 Eonstar

Eonstar

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:30 AM

If you look back at the species in Star Wars d20 AA and UAA, many species shared the same characteritic bonuses. What made them diffrent though were their respective side-qualities.

Some were focuses though. The Wookiees were focused on physical attributes. So people obviously might have chosen physical oriented classes such as Soldier, and Jedi Guardian, back then.

#78 DavenQuint

DavenQuint

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:42 PM

Any thoughts on Yuuzhan Vong stats yet?

2 3 2 3 1 1

"You can always count on a Hutt to do whatever is in his best interest--even when it's not." -Colten Zurey

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS