Photo

The Unofficial Species Menagerie... The Final Revision (the true "Official" USM Thread)

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#41 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:14 PM

I have a great tolorance to that kind of stuff. I grew up watching a great many variety shows. Carol Burnett, Donny & Marie, Sonny & Cher, Globetrotters, Sha-Na-Na. They were all cheezy but I love cheese. It would probably do no more than bring a chuckle to me.

I guess so.  In that case, enjoy.  There should be enough cheese in that thing to smother an entire 24-cut pizza.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#42 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

• Members
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:51 PM

Just to let folks know, JegerGryte had reached out to me about doing a slightly updated version to improve the quality of the PDFs, and I had considered using that as an opportunity to include a few minor tweaks that I'd not passed along to him in time, as well as adding a few more species to the roster.  After all, if he's doing an update, why not sneak in some new material, or maybe even revisit some of the species that had been removed due to their appearance in Age of Rebellion and tweak them a bit?

But as "thedearth" has proven that he has no scruples about just swiping someone else's work and doing what he wants with it (such as making a version that has even more screw-ups this time around), I really don't see the point in bothering anymore.  What started as a labor of love has now turned into a massive headache, nearly to the point that I'm almost sorry this whole thing even came into existence.

Edited by Donovan Morningfire, 09 December 2013 - 04:52 PM.

#43 tombaker

tombaker

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:56 AM

Believe me when I say this from the heart,

**** you guys, **** you all.

Edited by tombaker, 10 December 2013 - 12:59 AM.

• Jshock, Keeop and Raistlinrox like this

#44 Veruca

Veruca

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:10 PM

Since I have both a Nautolan and a Togruta in my playergroup, I was taking a closer look at their skills: Pheromonal Senses and Spatial Awareness.

Can someone explain why it removes a setback instead of adding a boost? I'd like to understand the reasoning behind it.

The main reason I ask this, is because I would like to know what happens when there is no setback die to remove. If I read this correctly, Togrutas have a form of echo location that they can use to sense someone close by. What if this person is hiding behind a corner? That doesn't seem like it would add a setback, mainly because then the players would know that something's up. Same for Nautolans and them maybe sensing stress from a hidden character. Wouldn't it make more sense to let them add a boost die to represent their edge? Let's say thick mist adds a setback (or 2), even with their extra senses, that mist is still as thick to them.

The setback removal does work with the low-light vision from Nautolans, as it helps them pierce through the setback that low light would give.

Just a thought.

#45 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:40 PM

Well I guess the question is, does theirs ability help more in adverse conditions or all the time?

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#46 Veruca

Veruca

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:23 PM

From what I understand, these are permanent senses. So let's say a person was standing behind a Togruta, the Togruta would know that person was standing there, no matter the weather conditions, whether it is light or dark, whether or not there is a loud disruptive sound drowing out any sound that person would make... that sort of thing.

Now I'm not sure about Nautolans. Can they actually sense everyone's emotion in a room, or do they have to focus on one particular person (because if they don't know if someone's there, how can they focus on them, right?).

Taken from Wookieepedia:

Togruta were also distinguished by montrals, large hollow horn-like projections from the top of their heads, that gave the species a form of passive echolocation.

Nautolans possessed exceptional olfactory and pheromone-sensing skills, enhanced by head-tresses. These tendrils were used to detect the emotional state of another being, but were most effective underwater. Within Nautolan culture, the ability to sense pheromone changes was an essential part of the communication process.

#47 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

• Members
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:46 PM

Both are just 'remove setback die.'

The Togruta were converted pretty much from d20 by profgoldfinch, and largely functioned there to offset a penalty.  Thus, he wrote the SWFFG version to do the same, to negate a setback die.  So it's not necessarily that they sense things any better, just that they're not as impaired by concealment as a Human would be.

Similar deal with Nautolans, in that their species ability negates a condition (in this case, darkness) and thus removes one setback die imposed by lighting conditions, much like the Chiss in Enter the Unknown.

Plus, an "all the time" boost die starts getting into the realm of "is this too good?"  This in particular as more and more species get official write-ups by FFG, and I'm seeing that in a few cases the authors (self included) may have overshot the mark and some species were in need of being toned down a touch.

But if you really feel strongly enough that these senses should provide full-time boost dice, it's your game.  The fact that there's a 5XP talent that's currently only found in specializations that have to be purchased that does the same exact thing (Uncanny Senses, found in Force Exile and Force Emergent) makes me hesitate to simply give them a flat boost die on Perception checks.

• Veruca likes this

#48 Veruca

Veruca

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:25 PM

Thanks a lot, Donovan. Your explanation provides the insight I was looking for regarding these special skills. You're right about making sure to keep everything balanced and not provide the players with too many bonuses from the get-go. I guess I was looking at this too much from a narrative point of view, and not so much from a gameplay one.

I'll stick with the setbacks and evaluate my stance on it after a few encounters. :)

#49 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:54 AM

Donovan, I have a question; With enter the unknown released, and the stats for toydarians revealed with the 1/1/2/2/3/3 layout, is the there any changes you get would make to any species in this document, given this new precedent? Also with this info, will this remain the final revision?
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point if EU.

#50 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

• Members
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:55 PM

Donovan, I have a question; With enter the unknown released, and the stats for toydarians revealed with the 1/1/2/2/3/3 layout, is the there any changes you get would make to any species in this document, given this new precedent? Also with this info, will this remain the final revision?

Even with Toydarians going the 1/1/2/2/3/3 route, there's not any changes I'd make to the existing species in that regards.  For quite a few of them, it was tough enough figuring out which Characteristic would be the "weak" entry.  Not really keen to go through them yet again to try and figure out two "weak" Characteristics and two "strong" Characteristics.

That said, I did run through the species and do some minor tweaks here and there.  Whether it ever gets published, given the actions of one particularly individual... as things stand, not very likely  Particularly as I view it as being something of a feature of the Gamer Security Agency, and right now the GSA's future is up in the air.

#51 themensch

themensch

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:44 PM

and right now the GSA's future is up in the air.

Wait what?

#52 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

• Members
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:06 AM

and right now the GSA's future is up in the air.

Wait what?

The previous editor, Fiddleback, left to go do his own version (Mad Adventurer's Society), and there hasn't been a new editor announced.  Last that was heard was Chris and Dave were considering what to do with the site, as neither of them have the time to cover editor duties, but that was some time ago.

I doubt the information's going to totally disappear, but the few authors left that made regular contributions have been pretty hesitant about submitting new articles, particularly if it's part of a series.  But it does cost money for the server space, so that's something to consider as well.

Frankly, nobody has any solid information on what's going on at this point.

#53 themensch

themensch

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 10:06 AM

The previous editor, Fiddleback, left to go do his own version (Mad Adventurer's Society), and there hasn't been a new editor announced.  Last that was heard was Chris and Dave were considering what to do with the site, as neither of them have the time to cover editor duties, but that was some time ago.

I doubt the information's going to totally disappear, but the few authors left that made regular contributions have been pretty hesitant about submitting new articles, particularly if it's part of a series.  But it does cost money for the server space, so that's something to consider as well.

Frankly, nobody has any solid information on what's going on at this point.

Okay, I saw Fiddleback had gone to do his own site, but I didn't realize there were dire consequences.   That's a shame, as this is a pretty good resource for us and I enjoy the tie-ins with the Order 66 podcast (or I would, if I listened.)

I'd be interested to know what spec & pricing for hosting, as I've had to acquire numerous VPSes for work and I'm seeing some killer deals lately.   That's  in Chris & Dave's court, right?

#54 CrunchyDemon

CrunchyDemon

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:05 PM

I did a rough conversion of the Kaminoans and the Massassi based on their d20 stats here:

http://community.fan...tually-a-guide/ (2nd and 3rd posts)

@Donovan Morningfire, Feel free to use or toss as you see fit.

Edited by CrunchyDemon, 14 January 2014 - 09:06 PM.

Proud member of the Gand Anti-Defamation League.

#55 Veruca

Veruca

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:33 AM

I have another question, this time about Herglics. According to Wookieepedia, Herglics are addicted to gambling. Does this mean they should take Discipline checks to see if they can resist the temptation to play (or quit playing)? Or is it something the players should decide themselves whether or not their characters would be drawn in by gambling activities around them?

#56 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,658 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:37 AM

I have another question, this time about Herglics. According to Wookieepedia, Herglics are addicted to gambling. Does this mean they should take Discipline checks to see if they can resist the temptation to play (or quit playing)? Or is it something the players should decide themselves whether or not their characters would be drawn in by gambling activities around them?

Allowing Herglics to take an extra Addiction 5 Obligation (for the usual benefits) over and above the normal limits wouldn't be too out of line.

• Veruca likes this

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#57 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:39 AM

I'd say that's a roleplaying aspect of things, but of course a Discipline check could be useful sometimes, particularly if the player has chosen a favourite type of gambling activity, be it chance cubes, sabacc or whatever. I'm gifted with players that will make these checks on their own from time to time...

HD's suggestion is a good one too, both beneficial and disadvantageous not only for the player, but the whole group.

• Veruca likes this

Make sure your brain is engaged, before putting your mouth into gear.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

GMLovlie's/Jegergryte's Cubicle direct link to supplements here.

#58 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

• Members
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:23 PM

That's purely a role-playing element, and something that Cyril and I agreed did not need to be reflected via game mechanics.  As HappyDaze noted, if you want your Herglic PC to have a gambling addiction, simply take the Addiction Obligation, either as your base Obligation or as part of taking on extra Obligation when making the character.

There's actually a few species that in prior systems had game mechanics to reflect psychological aspects (Barabal had "Jedi Respect" is one clear example, as are Arconians and their salt addiction), but we felt those were already addressed in EotE's Obligation mechanic.  If playing in a strictly Age of Rebellion game, those sorts of things could make for the occasional story hook, but we didn't want to hose a player with an enforced mechanical drawback that was purely negative, particularly as FFG has taken steps to avoid just that sort of thing outside of trade-offs for starting Wound and Strain Thresholds.

• Veruca likes this

#59 Veruca

Veruca

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:36 PM

Thanks guys, you're really giving some great advice here. :)

If we're going to do some gambling during a session, I'll just ask my player how his character will react to it.

#60 Sylrae

Sylrae

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:24 PM

[Edited] Nevermind, I just came across a thread that explained the situation. I should have searched, and I'm not looking to reignite this quarrel.

Edited by Sylrae, 31 January 2014 - 07:24 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS