Photo

The Unofficial Species Menagerie... The Final Revision (the true "Official" USM Thread)

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#21 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:33 AM

Considering that it's based on the d20 games, I'd assume both, that is: engaged in melee or brawl, which must happen within the subcategory of short range that is engaged. Although I don't know for sure, but it is a sort of flanking bonus seems to me. But I'm not Donovan, so I cannot say for sure, but that's how I would have ruled.

Edit: having reread the entry in USM I see that I might be mistaken. It only refers to attacks, and engaged is not capitalised. So basically any target that an ally is attacking also I'd say.

Edited by Jegergryte, 06 December 2013 - 02:43 AM.

Make sure your brain is engaged, before putting your mouth into gear.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

GMLovlie's/Jegergryte's Cubicle direct link to supplements here.

#22 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:14 AM

We keep thanking Dono, but I also want to extend my kudos to Jegergryte and Cyril.

Edited by kaosoe, 06 December 2013 - 07:16 AM.

• cvtheoman likes this

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#23 jimmylogan0916

jimmylogan0916

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:37 AM

Finally took a look at this. Very VERY nice work! I just built a Zeltron the other day as a "prominent NPC" that my players will encounter very soon. I just used the human species since she's "near human," but I like what you have done and since she's not made an appearance yet I'm going to modify her...

Thanks!

#24 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:38 PM

Hey dono question about the togruta pack hunter ability

Togrutas deal and extra point of damage on attacks made against an opponent that they and at least one other ally are engaged with.

Engaged as in must be in engaged range band?

or

Engaged as in we are now in combat with target?

I need calrification for my gm.

From my understanding, the intent is that the Togruta and the ally have to be within the Engaged range band with the target.  It's pretty similar to the d20 version of the species (which was restricted to melee attacks only), which is what the original author, one "ProfGoldfish" seemed to aiming for.

So for the USM version, you can use with a ranged attack as well as Brawl or Melee, but you've got to be right up in the target's face to do it.

Edited by Donovan Morningfire, 06 December 2013 - 03:39 PM.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#25 Tassedar

Tassedar

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:20 AM

alright it seems very out of place for togruta since they tend to be the weakest of damage takers to be in Engaged band at any point well we will have to see how that plays out.

#26 Veruca

Veruca

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:05 PM

True, but that actually seems to be a choice the player has to be aware of when acting: you can do more damage, but are you willing to risk your own wellbeing? It's easy to pick a species that gets a boost without there being a downside, but having one where the player has to think things through before acting seems a lot more interesting to me. :)

#27 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

• Members
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:53 PM

alright it seems very out of place for togruta since they tend to be the weakest of damage takers to be in Engaged band at any point well we will have to see how that plays out.

Well, again I refer to the Sage Edition stats, which appear to have been the basis that the original author used.  And not every species is going to have a special quality that's always going to be used or useful.  As Veruca noted, there's an element of risk involved, so you're going to have to decide if the risk is worth it or not.

#28 thedearth2

thedearth2

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:03 AM

As unprofessional as the work with these guys began, as unprofessional it ended. You can all read in the original thread how I handled the topic. I put the original one offline, I was always friendly and tried to be polite and have a good working relationship. Donovan in his place made a lot of demands what and how the things have to look, where they have to be and that he wants to host it (I guess which was already a preparation for taking it offline soon after that) which I all agreed upon.

I had only one wish: I wanted to be the one who announces the new version on the board.

Even that one wish he couldn't fulfill due to not being able to communicate with his partners.

And what did I got out of all of that? My work is put offline, I am discredited in all of his posts/blogs and, which is the most ironical of all of that, the new layouter took all my photoshopped and edited pictures out of my pdf, copied the way I arranged the stuff and they did not credit me.

The one point they all went crazy ape **** about in the beginning, are they doing now on their own. They did also not inform me in any way before they put it online.

I see all the points Donovan was so pissed about when I posted it. But he did not seem to be interested in doing it better when it's his turn.

For all the effort I put in, and the result and disrespect I get now, this is just disappointing and unprofessional. And I lost my hesistance to join the flame war I had in the original thread because I won't let myself being discredited in that way.

Edited by thedearth2, 08 December 2013 - 04:52 AM.

• Drathen likes this

#29 Veruca

Veruca

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:44 AM

Well, thedearth2, to be completely honest, the version you released did alter more than just the art from the original. Many species from the previous versions were suddenly missing from your version (I assume this may have had something to do with not finding quality art to represent them?).

I understand where they are coming from. They put a lot of effort and time in something that you picked up and changed in ways they didn't want. I'm not trying to defend either side, I'm just trying to say that I can understand both parties here. I also thought the first version could use a visual update, but I understood that copyright would be an obstacle.

I can't speak on how it ended, but I think it's unfair to blame them for being unprofessional when this all started with you kinda going behind their back, even though you were fair enough to take it down and try to work it out with them.

I think this is the problem with most user-made content. Everyone has their own idea on how it should be made. I think you would have been better off if you had just made your own version, instead of trying to alter theirs. Just my 2 cents here. :)

#30 thedearth2

thedearth2

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:58 AM

Veruca, on 08 Dec 2013 - 10:44 AM, said:
Well, thedearth2, to be completely honest, the version you released did alter more than just the art from the original. Many species from the previous versions were suddenly missing from your version (I assume this may have had something to do with not finding quality art to represent them?).

This was one of the demands from Donovan. My original version had all of them included.

I understand where they are coming from. They put a lot of effort and time in something that you picked up and changed in ways they didn't want. I'm not trying to defend either side, I'm just trying to say that I can understand both parties here. I also thought the first version could use a visual update, but I understood that copyright would be an obstacle.

We had this discussion in the original thread, only that I did not involve myself into it, but the answer remains the same: They put it under a CC-License. If you do that, you have to expect that things are going to be altered - that is the reason behind these licenses.

I think this is the problem with most user-made content. Everyone has their own idea on how it should be made. I think you would have been better off if you had just made your own version, instead of trying to alter theirs. Just my 2 cents here. :)

Again: If you do not want to have it altered, don't put it under a CC-License. It's as easy as that.

Yes, I could have informed them. I saw that point and did my best by taking it all offline and stuff. What I got with that behaviour, we can see now... And by the way they handled their re-release now, you can see how important this point was really to them...

Edited by thedearth2, 08 December 2013 - 05:01 AM.

• Drathen likes this

#31 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

• Members
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:40 AM

Sorry "thedearth," but you're not quite as innocent as you paint yourself as being in this whole affair.  I'm not going to derail this thread with pointless bickering.  Suffice to say you made your true nature very clear, and we've got nothing more to say to one another on the matter.

#32 thedearth2

thedearth2

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:17 AM

If you feel the need to discredit me in every of your blog posts, then have the balls to explain and prove it. Your posts was as vague as all of your accusations.

Please, go ahead. You can even post all the PMs in here, I have nothing to hide, but feel the need to defend my name against accusations which are not true.

#33 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:21 AM

When was Bea Arthur in Star Wars?

• themensch likes this

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#34 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

• Members
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:10 PM

Star Wars Holiday Special.

And oddly enough, it's one of the very few images to showcase a wide variety of Star Wars species in one shot.  Thus why the GSA used it for the prior articles and why it was used here as well.

#35 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

• Members
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:18 PM

Please, go ahead. You can even post all the PMs in here, I have nothing to hide, but feel the need to defend my name against accusations which are not true.

Why bother?  So you can just whitewash what you said, or try and deny the fact that for you this was never "providing a resource to the fans" but rather a means for you to draw attention to yourself.  Or that when I provided a rough timeline, and tried to give the artists and authors a chance to respond, you kept pushing "when are you going to get this done?"  Or the fact that asking permission, either of the original authors or the artists whose work you appropriated without permission or proper attribution, had never crossed your mind until I mentioned it.  When I told you that Cyril might need some more time, particularly due to issues involving his wife, your response was "tough s###, I don't care, I want this thing done now."  That alone spoke volumes that your only care in this project was self-promotion.

As for those PMs themselves, you'd probably just accuse me of changing what they said, or that you never said what you actually said, particularly the accusation that I was deliberately trying to cut you out of the loop.  If I'd meant to do that, it would have been from Day One and I never would have tried to work with you on this.  In fact, I'm still thinking I would have been better off to just tell you to put that old outdated version up and stuck with my initial game plan for getting an updated PDF compiled.

And thank you for proving what little class you actually have with that recent thread of yours, or the fact that the only talent you have is in stealing other people's work under the excuse of "it's creative commons and they don't have a proper license to it, I can do whatever I want!"  You weren't even able to come up with an original design, instead ripping off FFG's product design and trying to make it look like an FFG product clone instead of something original.

Edited by Donovan Morningfire, 08 December 2013 - 04:51 PM.

#36 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

• Members
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:29 PM

And oddly enough, it's one of the very few images to showcase a wide variety of Star Wars species in one shot.  Thus why the GSA used it for the prior articles and why it was used here as well.

Interesting. Last time I saw that was when it aired in the 70s. Have to check it out again some time.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#37 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

• Members
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:39 PM

Interesting. Last time I saw that was when it aired in the 70s. Have to check it out again some time.

I wouldn't recommend it.  The nostalgia factor only goes so far, and you know it can't be good when even George Lucas is ashamed to admit it exists (though most of that is due to Executive Meddling trying to make it a variety show once he'd stepped away to focus on Empire Strikes Back).

#38 Jetpack

Jetpack

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:09 PM

I tend to go along with the idea of not watching it.  I did a few years ago....Bea Arthur can only do so much.

#39 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

• Members
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:38 PM

I have a great tolorance to that kind of stuff. I grew up watching a great many variety shows. Carol Burnett, Donny & Marie, Sonny & Cher, Globetrotters, Sha-Na-Na. They were all cheezy but I love cheese. It would probably do no more than bring a chuckle to me.

George Orwell

#40 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

• Members
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:04 PM

Tassedar,

To call back to your question on the Togruta, as it turns out I had some notes that didn't get passed along to JegerGryte regarding their Pack Hunter (along with a couple other very minor things).

As an alternative, if the current version of Pack Hunter doesn't work for you or your GM, there's this option:

Pack Hunter: Togrutas may add 1 Advantage to the result of any assisted combat skill checks they either make or contribute to.

This way, you're not limited to Engaged range, and you might still get some benefit even if the attack roll fails.  Consider it an author-approved house rule.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS