Photo

The Unofficial Species Menagerie... The Final Revision (the true "Official" USM Thread)

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:36 PM

So it seems there was one final revision of the Unofficial Species Menagerie to be made, due in part to "thedearth" making several spelling errors on a number of species (errors that were not in the soft copy file that I sent him) and various other issues that required it.

So, with no small amount of thanks to JegerGryte, I now present a revised Version 3.0.  I even snuck in a few bits of new content as well, such as the Pa'uans and the Talz.  Hopefully this version will be error free, and a suitable note to end this particular project on.

http://gsa.thegamern...final-revision/

There is both a low-resolution and high-resolution version available this time around, right from the same page no less.

• Col. Orange, troy70, Josep Maria and 3 others like this

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#2 Thaliak

Thaliak

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:38 PM

I've had two players use races from this and have enjoyed looking through it while creating characters. Thanks for creating it.

In the description for the Talz, the claw ability says they start with one free rank in perception instead of describing the claws. I would also recommend capitalizing the "O" in "outdated."

I can't find anything when I search the document using Ctrl+F. If you decide to do another update, please add that ability, as it makes finding races much, much easier.

#3 Drathen

Drathen

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:14 PM

did you fix the artist credit issue I pointed out a while ago about the artist that did the zeltron? Since I know how big an issue it was previously ...

#4 Drathen

Drathen

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:16 PM

did you fix the artist credit issue I pointed out a while ago about the artist that did the zeltron? Since I know how big an issue it was previously ...

yeah ya did..just saw it. Good job

#5 Drathen

Drathen

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:19 PM

Why did you not keep the color scheme from the last one and the cover? I appreciate the effort in updating it, however should have left the setup the way it was since there was a huge issue over it to begin with. Just my 2 cents

#6 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:07 PM

Huzzah! Good going Dono and pals!

MAGIC HEADPHONES PROTECT ME FROM THE SPACE!

#7 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:05 PM

Why did you not keep the color scheme from the last one and the cover? I appreciate the effort in updating it, however should have left the setup the way it was since there was a huge issue over it to begin with. Just my 2 cents

You should read the GSA article that he linked. A lot of this was explained.

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#8 cvtheoman

cvtheoman

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:35 PM

In the description for the Talz, the claw ability says they start with one free rank in perception instead of describing the claws. I would also recommend capitalizing the "O" in "outdated."

the same thing with the jawa's heat resistance.

otherwise, i really love this project.  great work!

Math is such a tool.

#9 bladerunner_35

bladerunner_35

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:55 AM

The images are to dark and the file takes an inordinate amount of time to load on my iPad 2. It's no big deal since I'm using version 2 of the file without problems, but I thought I should mention it.
  • Drathen likes this
it takes only a small amount of charitable reading to make the internet dramatically more palatable.

#10 Drathen

Drathen

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:40 AM

You should read the GSA article that he linked. A lot of this was explained.

Read it. Typos and spelling issues are not related to a file format let alone character content changes. I actually do alot of adobe indesign design work. but to each his own.

#11 Drathen

Drathen

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:41 AM

The images are to dark and the file takes an inordinate amount of time to load on my iPad 2. It's no big deal since I'm using version 2 of the file without problems, but I thought I should mention it.

alot of it was not formated properly and the image compression is off.

#12 Maelora

Maelora

• Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:07 PM

Thanks for the effort, Donovan.  A shame it all ended so acrimoniously with you and the other guy.

#13 Veruca

Veruca

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:48 PM

Well, I for one can tell you my group is very grateful for your work, as almost all of them are playing one of these 'unofficial' species. ;)

Edited by Veruca, 04 December 2013 - 12:48 PM.

#14 alpman

alpman

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:14 PM

Big hands to all who participated in this project!

#15 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

• Members
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:53 PM

Thanks for the kudos, they really are appreciated.

bladerunner_35,

What application are you trying to use on your iPad2?  Also, did you grab the low-res or hi-res version?  I used GoodReader and didn't have any issues withe the low-resolution version.  The site used to store these files (Internet Archive) does offer up a number of alternatives than PDF for viewing the document, so I may tweak the article to simply go to the main page rather than straight to the PDF files and let the reader choose which version they want to grab.

In General,

As for the Talz and Jawa issues, JegerGryte gave me a heads up on those, and he's already been working to get an updated version out there sooner rather than later.  There may even be an update tonight.

Also, about the appearance... I much prefer this version to the "EotE wannabe knock-off" look that was used on the prior version.  It's not everyone's cup of tea, but then I'm not trying to please everyone here, but rather provide a hopefully useful resource.  JegerGryte has his own style, and it was that style that made me want to work with him in the first place for the updated PDF version before thedearth took that decision out of my hands.

Plus, thedearth made it very clear that he wanted nothing more to do with me.  And given some of what was said in his last PM on this project, the feeling is entirely mutual.

#16 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

• Members
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:21 PM

Okay, so it would seem that JegerGryte was "johnny on the spot" in terms of getting an updated version of both the high-res and low-res files to me.  I've updated the archive page with said files, as well as updating the link in the article to go to the Internet Archive page.  I can't guarantee that the updated versions are 100% error free (been a long day at work), but at least the Talz and Jawas are fixed.

Thaliak,

Not sure what problem you're having, as I was able to use Ctrl+F in both Adobe Reader and Foxit to search for a specific species.  If you're trying to search from your web browser, that's another issue entirely one and one that might be based on your web browser.

• cvtheoman likes this

#17 polyheadronman

polyheadronman

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:30 PM

Thanks very much, Dono.  You are a class act and this document is proof that your efforts are not wasted.

I printed out 3.0 to use as a fast and easy species visual reference for my players.  

"You encounter species X."  

*holds up page*  

Everybody is happy.  

You rock.   No one has expressed interest in playing these species, but when they do...

"Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."

#18 Thaliak

Thaliak

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:51 PM

Thaliak,
Not sure what problem you're having, as I was able to use Ctrl+F in both Adobe Reader and Foxit to search for a specific species. If you're trying to search from your web browser, that's another issue entirely one and one that might be based on your web browser.

Neither am I. I've tried downloading the file and looking at it in Adobe Reader, Foxit, and Sumatra. Although I can search for a few phrases, such as the "Star Wars" at the top and the "Unofficial Species Menagerie" in the lower right hand corner of each page, I can't get much else. This includes the other information on the title and credits pages, the page numbers in the lower right corner, the species' names, and the descriptions and titles for the species' abilities (e.g., claws).

This has happened on two computers, but they share enough security software that I decided to try downloading the program on my iPad and looking at it in Adobe Reader and GoodReader. I had the same problem in both apps.

Is anyone else having trouble searching the document?

Edited by Thaliak, 04 December 2013 - 11:51 PM.

#19 bladerunner_35

bladerunner_35

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:01 AM

bladerunner_35,
What application are you trying to use on your iPad2?  Also, did you grab the low-res or hi-res version?  I used GoodReader and didn't have any issues withe the low-resolution version.  The site used to store these files (Internet Archive) does offer up a number of alternatives than PDF for viewing the document, so I may tweak the article to simply go to the main page rather than straight to the PDF files and let the reader choose which version they want to grab.

I am using GoodReader and the hi-res version (18 mb). I am using the hi-res version of the second version (15 mb) as well without issues. But like I said no sweat since I'm happy with number two, though I'll check out the other versions you mention.

Thanks!
it takes only a small amount of charitable reading to make the internet dramatically more palatable.

#20 Tassedar

Tassedar

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:31 PM

Hey dono question about the togruta pack hunter ability

Togrutas deal and extra point of damage on attacks made against an opponent that they and at least one other ally are engaged with.

Engaged as in must be in engaged range band?

or

Engaged as in we are now in combat with target?

I need calrification for my gm.

Edited by Tassedar, 05 December 2013 - 08:34 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS