5 replies to this topic

#1 HastAttack

HastAttack

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:44 AM

Hi

The new Ser Preston has:

Any Phase: Return a Kingsguard or Queensguard character you control to shadows. (Limit once per round.)

If I use his ability to return himself to shadows at the start of the plot phase and then bring him out of shadows later in the round, can I then trigger his ability again

I'm assuming that when he comes out of shadows, the previous triggered response is forgotten about

thanks

#2 doulos2k

doulos2k

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:00 AM

No. The latest FAQ has a specific entry on cards with limits that use their own ability to leave play. The limit will still apply. 

Austin AGoT Players

http://agotaustin.com

#3 -Istaril

-Istaril

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:07 AM

As dolous2k says, when a card is triggered from an out of play area (eg Lethal Counterattack) or its trigger causes it to leave play (eg Den of the Wolf, Preston Greenfield), the limit applies to all instances of that card by title, and not to the specific card. 

#4 HastAttack

HastAttack

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:08 AM

Dang!

Is that limit only applicable to unqiue cards?

There are similar posibilities with Chain attachements, which are all limited

I thought that you could trigger a chain attachment response, then use some mechanism to return the chain to you hand, marshall it again and re-trigger ... the Chains are all Limit once per phase, not limited response ... so I assume the limit applies to the specific card - i.e. if you have 3 copies you can trigger 3 responses

If a (non-unique) card is removed from play and re-enters in the same phase, I was under the impression that the game "has no memory"

#5 -Istaril

-Istaril

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:12 AM

The game has no memory about the state of that card (it is functionally a new card), but the limit in this case applies to all cards with the same title. You've probably always played it like this; take Price of War for instance - because it's triggered from out of play, the limit "1 per round" would be meaningless if it weren't for this. The 1/game limitation on Den of the Wolf would be just as meaningless. This really doesn't have anything to do with whether they're unique or not.

However, this doesn't affect the chains scenario at all; none of their effects are triggered from out of play OR, in triggering, cause themselves to leave play. If you could bounce a Valyrian steel link, you could keep using it.

Edited by -Istaril, 03 December 2013 - 07:36 AM.

#6 HastAttack

HastAttack

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:18 AM

Thanks

For chains you can use the event called Called to the Citadel during marshalling - great in combo with Forging the Chain plot card

Type: Event House: Neutral
Citadel.
Any Phase: Return a Maester character you control and all Chain attachments on that character to their owner's hand. Then, draw 1 card.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS