Fettigator Revisited

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Eruletho

Eruletho

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:27 AM

So, I've got a friend whois really into Star Wars, but hasn't had an opportunity to play yet. He is finally coming out (hopefully) this Sunday to learn the game, and I was trying to throw a squad together that he can play. His favorite character is Boba, so I figured I'd use him in some capacity. While coming up with the ideas, this fell onto my notebook and seems like it would be pretty potent. Any chance this could revive the Fettigator movement?

Boba Fett (39)

-Navigator (3)

-Veteran Instincts (1)

Howlrunner (18)

-Stealth Device (3)

Academy Pilot (12)

Academy Pilot (12)

Academy Pilot (12)

It comes out to 100 points even, with Fett and a mini swarm, and seems really strong.

#2 Ataraxianj

Ataraxianj

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:26 AM

Maybe have determination on howl runner and marksmanship on boba and drop the veteran instincts and stealth?

#3 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:57 AM

I am not sure that Navigator helps you that much with this list. Engine Upgrade may be a better choice, dropping VI as well to get it.

If I was to have complete free reign to change, I would drop Navigator and VI on Fett and the Stealth on Howlrunner and get a Gunner on Fett and Determination on Howlrunner.

Fett will put out much more consistent damage this way for the investment in points. Determination may just save you the loss of Howl's ability from a bad crit.

The Fett and four Tie list can be pretty good. One caution though is it requires skill to fly and isn't really a beginners list.

To every man upon this Earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?
(Horatius: Captain of the Gate)

#4 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:51 AM

VI is definitely a bit of a waste on Boba, given his ability to maneuver out of harm's way and the very small percentage of pilots who will shoot before him even before looking at other ps8s he might win initiative over.  

I agree with Pete that Engine gets him more than Navigator does.  Fettigator is a neat idea, but especially for a new player I think will create more headaches than anything in its interactions with Fett's ability.  Pete is also right that Gunner is a good investment for Fett to help his damage output justify his cost.  

• DraconPyrothayan likes this

#5 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:57 AM

One variation would be to swap Howl with a regular AP - loses the nice bonus but for a new player also reduces the need to maneuver in a super tight formation and kit Fett out something like this:
Fett + Expert Handling + Gunner + Engine + Seismic Charge

Between EH and Engine your friend won't miss Navigator, trust me. :D

A simpler version that can still be effective might replace the mini swarm with a couple of PTL Saber Interceptors. Little more of a lone wolf squad.

I think he could also get some mileage out of a PTL Fett + Engine + Gunner, with 4x Academy Pilots. A little easier for a new player than EH can be.

If you really like Howl, you'll have to strip Fett down a bit but he might have some fun with this.
Fett + Expert Handling + Rebel Captive (44)
Howlrunner + Determination (19)
Academy Pilot x3 (36)

...for 99 points. Or give Howl Swarm Tactics or something for kicks for 100 - or Expert Handling, since she can actually use it to shake target locks and not take a stress.

The downside is without Gunner, Fett's damage output drops quite a bit. But pairing EH and the Rebel Captive means that he can dodge a lot of the fire arcs pointed his way and make the rest of them think twice about pulling the trigger. Your TIEs should have fun preying on anybody who takes that first shot each round and stresses.

Edited by CrookedWookie, 03 December 2013 - 09:05 AM.

#6 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:02 AM

I faced this exact list Wookie two weeks ago. It is a solid list and has firepower and survivability. I played against it with a very nasty rebel squad and I have to say, my luck with the dice probably got me through against it.

EH on Fett is wild as you can roll from R3 to R1 after moving. That makes folks sit up and pay attention :-)

To every man upon this Earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?

#7 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:11 AM

Agreed again, Pete.  I mean no list is invincible - every one has their weak spots and bad match ups, and sometimes even a good matchup, WITH superior player skill still gets trumped by bad dice.  It happens.  But it is a solid Fett list, and while EH can be hard to get your head around for a new player (my wife tried it out on a Chewie + 2 wingmen build and just couldn't grasp its utility right away), when you see it in action it's something else.

People tend to underestimate just how much ground a barrel rolling large-base ship can cover, considering - as Pete says - that you are rolling a 1 speed either direction - plus your base width, which is 2 speed across, I believe.  And that means you're also rolling vertically along the entire length of your base forward or backward.  My coffee hasn't kicked in yet, so I forget the exact measurements, but it means you wind up with a LOT of options on where exactly you land, and if you can't find a spot that bones your opponent in some way, you're just not trying.   :lol:

There is nothing worse than lining up a point blank shot on someone like Fett, range 1, and then having him barrel roll across and over you so that you're now range 1 to his rear fire arc and your own guns are pointing uselessly off into space.   :ph34r:

#8 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:30 AM

Yep and Gunner helps with the loss of focus that round as well as not requiring you to automatically shed stress next round. (I advise you do, but sometimes it is better to gain position.)

It is, as Wookie says, a hoot to watch your opponent go from prime shooting position to no shot while you still have a shot. Combined with some of the angled moves it can really go nuts, Fett adds to this by allowing a directional change on the move if you really need it.

• CrookedWookie likes this

#9 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

• Members
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:04 AM

Expert handling is the way to go. So much movement AND gets rid of a target lock. That's just awesome
  • CrookedWookie likes this

#10 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:13 AM

It is, in fact, awesome.

It's just one of those abilities where it seems like it's hard for a new player to envision how or why it's useful, or they'll have it and then almost never spot a good time to use it.  But then they go up against someone who has it, and uses it on them at just the right time, and then suddenly it clicks for them.

#11 Millennium Falsehood

Millennium Falsehood

• Members
  • 937 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:45 PM

Yep. It's a great way to annoy players who use PTL to gain Focus and Target Lock, because it basically just removed the advantage of having PTL in the first place.

Rebel Alliance: 7 X-wings, 4 Y-wings, 4 A-wings, 1 YT-1300, 2 HWK-290s, 3 B-wings, 1 GR-75, 1 CR-90

Galactic Empire: 6 TIE Fighters, 1 TIE Advanced, 2 Firespray-31s, 1 Lambda class Shuttle, 3 TIE Bombers

"Main characters defeat a Star Trek villain? Give 'em a Star Wars celebration!"

#12 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:54 PM

It absolutely screws with PtL. It's likely that they will not only lose the TL, they'll have 'wasted' a focus as well because you are no longer in their firing arc :-)

#13 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:58 PM

It really shines on a YT-1300 if you add Nien Nunb as he helps drop stress a great deal. The turret on the YT making rolling even more impressive as you are practically still guaranteed a shot yourself.

I like to pull a one hard, then roll in the direction of my choice. That really zonks people.

However, I love Firesprays more than YT's so I don't do that a lot :-)

#14 TallTonyB

TallTonyB

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:58 PM

Deadeye Fett.

Boba - deadeye/recon spec/APT/Assault missile

howlrunner - stealth

acad tie x 2

not super competitive, but fun.

Give a man fire he is warm for a day, set him on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

#15 ManOnAWire

ManOnAWire

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:08 PM

If only the shuttle could take Expert Handling...

Rebel Scum: 3 X-Wings, 4 Y-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 5 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290s, 2 YT-1300, 5 Z-95 Headhunters, 3 E-Wings, 1 Rebel Transport, 1 Tantive IV

Galactic Empire Peacekeepers: 10 TIE Fighters, 2 TIE Advanced, 9 TIE Interceptors, 6 TIE Bombers, 2 Firesprays, 4 Lambda Shuttles, 3 TIE Phantoms, 3 TIE Defenders

#16 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

• Members
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:12 PM

Deadeye Fett.

Boba - deadeye/recon spec/APT/Assault missile

howlrunner - stealth

acad tie x 2

not super competitive, but fun.

Ran a similar list with Kath.  Just doesn't have the punch after missiles are gone.  I tried:

Kath+ deadeye + recon + APT + seismic

Scimitar + seismic

Backstabber

Dark Curse

#17 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

• Members
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:12 PM

If only the shuttle could take Expert Handling...

That would make the great white space bus the MAGIC white space bus!

#18 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:33 PM

I am not sold on the DeadEye Fett, save the points and get an HLC, same overall effect all the time and leaves the elite slot open. Even an HLC isn't needed though.

You have a rear arc and you want to be using it so you are shooting and others aren't. That negates the HLC and ordinance a great deal. With EH etc, you can be shooting at R1 a lot both front and rear (not at the same time) for 4 dice with consistent damage output.

#19 TallTonyB

TallTonyB

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:36 PM

Well, as I said... not a competitive list.  A fun list.

Trying to get someone new to play? let them drop those five super dice on a one or two green dice rebel ship. they will enjoy it I assure you.

Edited by TallTonyB, 03 December 2013 - 01:38 PM.

Give a man fire he is warm for a day, set him on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

#20 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:45 PM

Now that I am happy to concede :-)

Nothing says fun like "BOOOOM" :-)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS