Weapon Range Extending?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dark Bunny Lord

Dark Bunny Lord

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:33 AM

So in a recent session a player asked if it was possible to shoot further than a Guns listed range. In most RPG's we've played this isn't much of a problem, you typically can shoot "further" for an increased difficulty and so my first thought was that it might be possible but that we'd wait until next session to decide and until then stick to the listed ranges for weaponry (to avoid extensive rule searching that would hang up the momentum of the game).
Upon searching I've yet to find any rule that would indicate this is possible, so I've come here to see if I'm correct in that a gun can only fire it's range or if I'm missing a rule that shows how to extend the range band one can fire for an increased difficulty or some other setback.

Oh and a side question, is there any listing for throwing objects? I assumed short range given that it says under the range bands area that this is the distance "most" can throw.

#2 Col. Orange

Col. Orange

• Members
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:55 AM

Listed range seems to be the maximum, without a specific talent (Sniper Shot for guns, Strong Arm for thrown).

Oh, there's also the Marksman Barrel attachment.

What's written above is meant with love

#3 Krieger22

Krieger22

• Members
  • 648 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:34 AM

Listed range is maximum effective range, unless you have the talents Col. Orange stated above. I'm sure the blaster bolt could travel further, but at that point it would be so inaccurate that whether it hit something or not would be random chance rather than skill. If one of your players absolutely insists on trying anyway, I'd let him roll but say that he'd need a Triumph to score a regular hit.

As for thrown ranges, they're all Short unless you have the Strong Arm talent from Mercenary Soldier, which increases it (at least for grenades) to Medium.

#4 Dark Bunny Lord

Dark Bunny Lord

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:08 PM

Ah okay, so I was right in assuming what I had. Just wanted to make sure I hadn't looked them over some where, thanks for the help.

#5 Jshock

Jshock

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:46 PM

It hasn't come up in my game yet, but by the book you can turn an impossible action into a Formidable one with a Destiny point... I don't see why that can't extend to weapon rolls.

Edited by Jshock, 04 December 2013 - 07:53 PM.

• SilverSpider22 likes this

#6 Kallabecca

Kallabecca

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:42 PM

It hasn't come up in my game yet, but by the book you can turn an impossible action into a Formidable one with a Destiny point... I don't see why that can't extend to weapon rolls.

You can spend destiny to change the dice pool, but that isn't the same as changing the range of a weapon.

#7 Colyer

Colyer

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:26 AM

You can spend destiny to change the dice pool, but that isn't the same as changing the range of a weapon.
He's actually referring to the "Impossible Tasks" sidebar on page 18. It says based on the GMs discretion, and ideally only during life or death situations, a player can spend a destiny point to attempt an action that would be impossible otherwise using a formidable check. It gives the example of trying to put out a fire with a grenade, but it sounds like it would work for simpler things than that too.
  • Jshock likes this

#8 Jshock

Jshock

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:01 PM

He's actually referring to the "Impossible Tasks" sidebar on page 18. It says based on the GMs discretion, and ideally only during life or death situations, a player can spend a destiny point to attempt an action that would be impossible otherwise using a formidable check. It gives the example of trying to put out a fire with a grenade, but it sounds like it would work for simpler things than that too.

This. Presumably like RL weapons, the actual maximum range is far longer than the listed maximum. If someone said they wanted to try for a "hail Mary" shot beyond Extreme, I would allow it as long as they could see the target somehow. At 5p, they're not going to be doing a crazy amount of damage if they hit, at any rate. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS