The best acid test quest?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 708 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:11 PM

What do you think? Which single quest is the best all around test of a deck?
"I will not be released in the second quarter!" - Nalir the Dwarf

#2 ricedwlit

ricedwlit

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:14 PM

When trying out crazy ideas I rely on the tried and true: "Passage Through Mirkwood" and "Journey Down the Anduin".  

All decks (even if designed for multi-player as a support) should be able to beat Passage.   

Journey is good to see how nimble a deck is; some support based decks (e.g. Willpower based questing only) may not be able to beat it, but on the whole I would expect most decks (nowadays) to beat it more often than not.

#3 kyrie

kyrie

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:44 PM

When testing out new decks I always play Massing at Osgiliath. I like how it is a self-contained quest (quick set up time), but more importantly it tests willpower and combat capabilities really well by making you start out with 3 enemies in the staging area and has high threat locations and even puts restrictions on traveling to certain ones. And best of all, it has a big, nasty boss enemy, the Witch King, to really challenge your willpower and combat power.

If I build a deck that can consistently defeat this quest, I know I have built something great. However, if I struggle through this quest, it doesn't necessarily mean the deck is bad, but it does reveal its weaknesses and therefore is helpful to see how a support deck could complement it or if I need to change anything with it.

• Pharmboys2013 and robstjohn like this

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - Bilbo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

#4 Nickpes

Nickpes

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:11 PM

I go through Passage through Mirkowwod, then Anduin and then Massing at Osgiliath. It seems that others think the same way too. Mirkwood should be won by any descent deck, Anduin is a good test IMO

Then I try Osgiliath ... if I can win half or more of the games then I consider it to be a good deck.

Most of the other quest have some features that prevent you from testing stuff (i.e. Rhosghobel needs healing, Return to Mirkwood has to be quick, Redhorn gate must include high willpower heroes etc) 

Lord of all Noldor

A star in the night And a bearer of hope

He rides into his glorious battle alone Farewell to the valliant warlord

#5 Ellareth

Ellareth

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:40 PM

One more vote for Massing at Osgiliath // Journey down the Anduin // Passage through Mirkwood.

But if I had to choose one I would choose Massing at Osgiliath.

Tests your early combat ability, ability to deal with piling locations, ability to deal with nasty shadows, ability to stall until certain objective is met, and ability to muster great willpower towards the end.

#6 Glowwyrm

Glowwyrm

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:32 AM

Recently, I've enjoyed using Encounter at Amon Din as a replacement for Passage through Mirkwood.  It's got a fun thematic flavor, it's easy, it's quick, and it requires questing and combat to get through it effectively.  A well balanced deck should breeze through it, and it gives me a chance to get a feel for my deck's rhythm.

If I want to test a combat deck without taking it against some of the tougher quests (Into Ithilien, Siege at Cair Andros), I'll run it through Watcher in the Water.  It doesn't require much in the way of willpower, it's short and throws lots of enemies at you.

and I agree that Journey along the Anduin is my favorite test scenario, and one of the best scenarios overall. 

#7 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 544 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:51 AM

I always start with Seventh Level and then go to JDtA, and start on different quests from there.

This used to work pretty good until Battle and Siege mechanics. Since HoN I have had to change my deck building quite a bit, and it seems like many quests can through a curve ball in what you will be questing with at any given round. Many decks now need to be tweaked to overcome certain challneges to each scenario. Unless it is well rounded enough to handle questing on each front. That's what makes outlands so powerful for any type of quest.

if I want to see if the deck can really stand up to a challenge I'll play Into Ithilien and Siege of Cair Andros.
But i have taken decks through those two scenarios that can't win your basic willpower quests.

So many of the scenarios seem to have major twists (AJtR) that I am not sure that playing any one scenario will be the key to making a deck that is sucessfiul for all other scenarios. But Seventh Level is still my faviorite, because it is a fun quest,, which can be unpredictably challenging at times.

Here are some of the things that make it a good deck tester:
Enemies:
1. Has low engagment cost enemies of 15 and 20 that get a signifigcant increase to attack value if undefended.
2. Has 2 copies of 6 attack cave troll with engagment of 33 which has repercussions if you chump block with 1 hp ally, also has a threat of 4.
3. Orc horn blower blows. surge and when revealed add another card to staging area. Surviving these moments really tests a deck.
4. Goblin warchief 8 attack on when revealed engagment 27. Could be a hero killer early on
5. Goblin archer engagment cost 48 will be dealing damage from staging area when goblins are revealed.
6. One goblin has a threat of 3 and can only be engaged when your threat is below 25 or above 37.
7. It has 3 copies of Watchful Eyes treachery which attaches to hero and if they are exhausted by the end of combat add a card to staging area.
8. A shadow card will add that enemy (revealed shadow) to the staging area.
9. Another shadow will remove a defending ally from the game, thus making the attack undefended. With most enimes that will destroy a hero.
10. Another shadow adds +1 to enemy attack +3 if Goblin, another hero killer.
11. Locations are average difficulty, one has doomed 2. Threat ranges from 2-3, and one location has 7 quest points.
12. 2nd quest card has the potental to add two cards to the staging area each round if the second card is an enemy.

All these factors combined in a small deck make the scenario perform some what similarly each game, which is usually not the case for other scenarios which have large encounter decks, where each play can have very differnt results from the encounter deck. That's one of the reasons it is good to test new decks and see how they compare to other decks. Even though game play may be similar, there are lots of things that make it very unpredictable and things can go wrong in a hurry.

The one advantge you get is the Book of Mazrabul, which allows a hero to not exhaust to commit to a quest, but they can only defened and not attack. This only last for the first round. So, it is good to keep this in mind when building a deck since you will be given a free action that will not be granted on other quests. This has not really been a problem in transitioning a deck from SL to other scenarios.

And the last reason is maybe I just like easy scenarios since it is rated difficulty 3.
'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#8 Narsil0420

Narsil0420

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:21 AM

When I look at the tally I keep on Google Drive of all my wins/losses, the scenario I've played the most is Road to Rivendell. Apart from the Sleeping Sentry (Which doesn't come up that much if you're playing solo) I find it to be a well balanced quest (Questing vs Combat) and I love the setting. It's also a great quest to test out sneaky/secrecy decks on, since only 1 enemy is below 21 engagement.

I'm not a huge fan of Journey Down the Anduin like everyone else. I find that the Troll fight at the beginning demands a very combat heavy deck and is very different than the average quest, so not a good "acid test" quest.

I also like Seventh Level as a middle of the road quest. (It also scales really well for four players)

Edited by Narsil0420, 03 December 2013 - 09:22 AM.

#9 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 708 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:57 AM

I've been using Passage, Journey and Massing, but have been getting bored with them so thanks for the suggestions. My superhero attachment deck laughs at those quests, but I'm not sure I can get the deck I'm working on now to that level. Just too many holes, but that's what you get sticking with theme sometimes.
"I will not be released in the second quarter!" - Nalir the Dwarf

#10 camacazio

camacazio

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:33 PM

I really like testing with Into the Pit. I think it is a very fun quest, but it has the benefit of starting out with pushing through the locations to enter Moria, then follows it with some forced fighting to make things well-rounded. I don't tend to test with Anduin or Passage, but I try to follow the rule of first-turn success in those quests: be able to have a first-turn willpower of 5 through some means, and have a starting threat strictly less than 30.

#11 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:19 AM

Journey down the Anduin

#12 koriakin97

koriakin97

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:22 PM

I feel cheated

After i read tracker's post I checked book of mazarbul on cardgamedb. In Polish version it is "attackers hero cannot attack and exhaust to quest"instead of "cannot attack and does not exhaust to quest"...

I was losing free action all the time...

#13 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:09 PM

Journey down the Anduin

...second: Massing of Osgiliath

...third: 7th level

Edited by Mndela, 04 December 2013 - 04:10 PM.

A wizard is never late..., he arrives precisely when it is the last round

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS