House Rule Alternative to Detailed Equipment Buy

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PencilBoy99

PencilBoy99

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:04 AM

I like the Dark Heresy RPG, but my group spends a lot of time scrounging for, buying, reselling, etc. equipment. This consumes cycles of table time, and my GM prep time. It also makes a huge impact on how effective they are in combat. Has anyone used house rules or some other system's rules that allow players to have cool, useful equipment, but get rid of all the stuff I find boring?

#2 Cogniczar

Cogniczar

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:14 PM

A few suggestions:

If using Influence, limit each characters acquisitions per session to their Influence Bonus.

If using standard dark heresy, absolutely require an Inquiry roll to find potential merchants. Time it takes to find each one should be prohibitive and set by you as the gm (i.e. You have two days before the next session.). Using the standard Inquiry times listed in core, that should tie them up to one or two items at a time.

• PencilBoy99 likes this

#3 Traejun

Traejun

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:17 AM

Most good weapons/armor has a significant time component attached to the act of acquiring it - i.e. 1d10 hours, days, etc...

My rule is if you do not have the maximum possible time to locate the item, you are not allowed to roll on it.  That easy to establish by giving operations soft time limits - drop clues that X person is likely to leave the world in Y days - so they'd have to be willing to fail the mission in order to get the crap they're looking for.  I also modify many items' availability - as things like power armor should be ever harder to find than it is in the book.

All in all, you can create a simple "no shopping" rule.  I often allow my players to "shop" every so often - perhaps between major story arcs - by saying you are sent to X-planet and told to await further orders.  During that time, they may shop.

#4 PencilBoy99

PencilBoy99

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:35 PM

Thanks!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS