Photo

What would you do with 85 SP and a Repulsive Grand Cruiser?

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:17 PM

1) 85 Points - Two of the characters will have CoD, my RT and the Void-Master/Seneschal (he's not sure yet). That accounts for 6 extra SP. The other 9 will be taken from our 20 PF and the other PFs generated by the characters.

I've never liked this idea, especially since dropping below 20 Profit Factor means that according to the conversion chart you have purchasing power on par with a Weak Hive Guild or Common Labour House, and approaching that of a struggling Merchant House. It becomes hard to imagine that you have a Grand Cruiser in pristine repair when your Dynasty is on the verge of declaring bankruptcy. Even burning all your assets to keep your Cruiser going, you wouldn't have fully stocked macrocannon shells or Best-quality equipment, because you wouldn't have the money for maintenance or repair.

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#62 Marwynn

Marwynn

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:31 PM

Well, the backstory is that the dynasty's nearly dead after a rival dynasty outmaneuvered the former head. We're fleeing, Battlestar Galactica style. Eventually we'll go out there and kick butt, but the Galactica (as it were) is going to be beat up for a while.

Then, we'll go out and shoot people in the face for money to survive.

The Gathering Strom  - A Chronicle of Intrigue, Space Battles, Planetary Invasions, and Dinner Parties

The Blessed Enterprise - Flagship of the Strom Dynasty / Reception Hall

#63 htsmithium

htsmithium

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:46 AM

well all you need now is another cruiser that has had it's servitor crew somehow take over the ship and is trying to kill yours.

ding dong mala mortuus est,

quem veteres strigam

impii strigam

ding dong impiorum strigam mortuus est.

#64 Marwynn

Marwynn

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:08 PM

We'd be kinda screwed then, with no Vipers to screen for us... Guess I'd have to lance the thing to death.

Made a few more changes and I emailed this to the group yesterday. They wanted crack (as in the crew) and I didn't have any spare points for an archeotech component.

The story is we're launching before the ship is fully ready simply to save ourselves. Not factored in the stats are the stormtroopers and displays of wealth upgrades which we'll "recover" in January.

Behold! The Whispered Promise!

REPULSIVE Class Grand Cruiser

SPEED 6
MANOEUVRABILITY 11
DETECTION 8
TURRET RATING     3
SHIELDS     Triple Void Shield
ARMOUR     20    
HULL INTEGRITY     85

SPACE AVAILABLE     90         POWER AVAILABLE:     93        
SPACE Left Over           2        POWER USED               93        

Skill Test Modifiers
Ballistic Tests 10, Navigation/Warp 20, Navigation/Combat 5, Navigation/Escape Combat 5, Navigation/Piloting 5, CMD/Hit&Run 20, CMD/Boarding Action 20, Manouvre/Stellar Phenomena 5, CMD/Hit&Run (Def) 20, CMD/Boarding Action (Def) 20,

Achievement Bonuses
Achievement Bonuses: Trade + 100  Military + 100  Explore + 100  

Essential Components                        
Saturnine Pattern, Class 5 Drive (Grand Cruiser) , Miloslav H-616.b Warp Engine (CL,C) , Warpsbane Hull, Ship Master's Bridge (C, CB, CG) , M-1.r Life Sustainer (+1 Morale Loss) [C:POOR], R-50 Auspex Multi-Band Auger Array , Voidsmans Quarters [C:POOR]                        

Supplemental Components                        
Compartmentalized Cargo Hold, Barracks, Observation Dome,                         

Complications / Past Histories                        
Blasphemous Tendencies,  Wrested from a Space Hulk (For misfortunes GM rolls twice and picks the worst), Cursed (Warp Nav Penalty), Ancient Grand Cruiser (Can't take +Armour Components).                        

Weapons
Sunsear Laser Battery  [Strength: 4, Damage:1d10+2, Crit Rating: 4, Range: 9]  Location:PROW
Sunhammer Lance Battery  [Strength: 2, Damage:1d10+5, Crit Rating: 3, Range: 9]  Location:DORSAL
Sunsear Las-Broadside  [Strength: 6, Damage:1d10+2, Crit Rating: 4, Range: 9]  Location:PORT
Sunsear Las-Broadside  [Strength: 6, Damage:1d10+2, Crit Rating: 4, Range: 9]  Location:PORT
Sunsear Las-Broadside  [Strength: 6, Damage:1d10+2, Crit Rating: 4, Range: 9]  Location:STARBOARD
Sunsear Las-Broadside  [Strength: 6, Damage:1d10+2, Crit Rating: 4, Range: 9]  Location:STARBOARD

The Gathering Strom  - A Chronicle of Intrigue, Space Battles, Planetary Invasions, and Dinner Parties

#65 Wincent

Wincent

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:34 AM

You've got blasphemous, cursed, wrestled form a space hulk repulsive cruiser which travels through the warp with haste of the damned... I'd give your group Peer (the Insane) just for this :) .

#66 Marwynn

Marwynn

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:59 AM

Well, it's the price we paid for 85 Ship Points... something that I fear we'll be paying for quite a while.

I've been talking with some of the group and it seems they're ending up with a fairly large amount of Insanity/Corruption points to start with. 

Even the Missionary / fire afficionado seems more unbalanced than usual. It may be that my Rogue Trader's the sanest one of all of them, and that isn't a good thing. 

I'm already statting out the various other ships of the dynasty fleet, as it were. They're bulk haulers mostly, but I've been allowed to customize them... any they all have the Miloslav warp engine. 

#67 Sebastian Yorke

Sebastian Yorke

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:10 AM

You've got blasphemous, cursed, wrestled form a space hulk repulsive cruiser which travels through the warp with haste of the damned... I'd give your group Peer (the Insane) just for this :) .

I said before and I say again.
SLAP A BELECANE IN THERE.
(the Geller fields that allows for "better navigation" but sometimes do "flicker")

Go from Footfall to Naduesh in a week or less if you also have the Hollow Atlas and Miloslavs. You might get some Daemonette-inflicted stds though.

Edited by Sebastian Yorke, 11 December 2013 - 09:33 AM.

RT Wannabe Shipwright & Frustrated GM

#68 Marwynn

Marwynn

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:43 PM

Yeah, the Navigator's getting itchy enough as it is and is petitioning to remove the Blasphemous Tendencies for Ancient and Wise or Martial Hubris.

I don't think I can convince him to give up the Warpsbane Hull for the Belecane. Would be "interesting" though.

I'm finishing up the rest of the tattered fleet and am being given great leeway here. I'll be outlining what they were, not how they'll be once we start.

For those experienced with dynasty fleets, is is better to have Armed (and Stealthy) Transports or fat plodders with bodyguards (with the bodyguards being Cobras or other Raiders, and mayhap a Frigate or two which you can use for other things).

#69 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 917 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:58 AM

For those experienced with dynasty fleets, is is better to have Armed (and Stealthy) Transports or fat plodders with bodyguards (with the bodyguards being Cobras or other Raiders, and mayhap a Frigate or two which you can use for other things).

IME this is heavily dependant on game style and the tastes of your GM and so rather hard for us to answer.

I personally prefer the second option, because most transports either cannot be sensibly armed or are simply loose too much cargo-carrying capacity when sensibly armed.

An argument can be made that transports are cheap, so one could just get more to retain capacity, but then arming them gets pricey.

But that's just my 2 cents worth.

#70 Bottulf

Bottulf

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:11 PM

We're starting a Rogue Trader group, and being a wild and zany bunch we picked an AVENGER Class Grand Cruiser as our vessel. Our GM let us pick somewhat what we wanted and not use the SP/PF roll, so we went overboard somewhat (not being fully aware of what a very low PF will do to us, besides thats half the fun ;) ).

Without further ado, here is our magnificent vessel.

Sword of the Void
AVENGER Class Grand Cruiser 

SPEED 5
MANOEUVRABILITY 15
DETECTION 20 

TURRET RATING     3
SHIELDS     Triple Void Shield
ARMOUR     21    
HULL INTEGRITY     86

SPACE AVAILABLE     92 POWER AVAILABLE:     93
SPACE Left Over           19 POWER USED               81
Weapon Capacity         Port x3, Starboard x3

Skill Test Modifiers
Navigation/Warp 10, Navigation/Piloting 5, Command  10, Extended Action Intimidate  5, Medicae 20, 

Achievement Bonuses
Achievement Bonuses: Trade + 100  Crime + 100  Creed + 100  Prison Space (Brig) 25, 

Essential Components
Jovian Pattern, Class 8.1 Drive (Grand Cruiser) (Ignore Damaged, Depressurized & Critical Results 4+  on d10 roll) , Miloslav H-616.b Warp Engine (CL,C) , Warpsbane Hull, Fleet Flag Bridge (CB, CG; This vessel + allies w/in 30vu +5 on Piloting/Navigation Tests)) , Clemency Pattern Life Sustainer (Reduce Crew/Morale Loss by 4 for Depressurization, Min. 0) , Deep Void Auger Array , Voidsmans Quarters

Supplemental Components
Luxury Passenger Quarters, Brig, Medicae Deck (3xIB Patients Treatable w/out Penalty) ,

Complications / Past Histories
Ancient and Wise,  Turbulent Past (+20 Heretics, -20 Inquisition on all Social Tests)

Weapons
Godsbane Lance Battery  [Strength: 2, Damage:1d10+2, Crit Rating: 3, Range: 12]  Location:STARBOARD
Hecutor Pattern Plasma Broadside  [Strength: 5, Damage:1d10+2, Crit Rating: 4, Range: 11]  Location:STARBOARD
Hecutor Pattern Plasma Broadside  [Strength: 5, Damage:1d10+2, Crit Rating: 4, Range: 11]  Location:STARBOARD
Jovian Pattern Landing Bay  [Strength: 2, Damage:x+x, Crit Rating: --, Range: ]  Location:PORT

And yes, it only has one broadside.... What happens when you get your hands on an old mothballed vessel, someone acquired the other broadside somewhere in the past 5000 years.... :) 
It's not too well thought out in layout, we more went with the "Ohh, that sounds nifty!" strategy. Sure it'll bite us in the rear and we'll be a space hulk drifting in the void in no-time, but it's all a learning experience. Our RT has to be quick on his feet to start amassing an imperium to support this vessel before it breaks down beyond our meagre means to fix.. (and by meagre I mean non-existing).

Cheers
Bottulf

• Marwynn likes this

#71 WilliamAsher

WilliamAsher

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:37 PM

If you are going Repulsive, a Warpbane hull is pretty much a must have.  I like the Miloslav, and it is actually safer than other Warp drives as you make fewer encounter checks on a Warp trip.  I don't see an Archeotech component on your list.  I would usually suggest a modified drive for the extra speed/space.  Another possibility is an Energistic Conversion Matrix, if you want to have a FAST Grand Cruiser that can maneuver well.  You can add up to 5 speed when that is all you care about, and drop the speed to turn quicker when you need the maneuverability.  As most of the time you can draw power off of the Warp Drive, you will usually have at least 2 speed higher.  Nothing like having Raider level speed/Maneuverability and Grand Cruiser guns...

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS