Adventure Order

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 YokuniCat

YokuniCat

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:20 PM

Has anyone done an adventure order yet, I am starting to run this for a new group and want to know what order I should play them in.

Thank you in advance

YC

#2 CaptainRemiVandigrath

CaptainRemiVandigrath

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:03 PM

I'm not quite sure what you mean here... as in an Order of Knights, except they're adventurers instead?  Or as in, the order of the pre-built modules in the back of the books?  Or challenge difficulty?

Want to help, just trying to figure out what advice to offer...

(Play Report)The Frozen Reaches: Tobias Caine turns an Ork Warboss into a Chair: http://community.fan...s-into-a-chair/

Worthy Allies and Adversaries: http://community.fan...nd-adversaries/

#3 YokuniCat

YokuniCat

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:56 PM

Sorry should have been clearer, in what order I should do the published modules is there a 'flow' an order that others have done them in that feels right.  If there is an over arching campaign flow or storyline.

#4 CaptainRemiVandigrath

CaptainRemiVandigrath

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:07 PM

Ah, yeah.  I think there is some flow to it, in that the adventure from the main book is a good starting point.  It doesn't assume anything, and gets a party out into the Expanse with a few hooks at the end for good measure.  From there, I don't have it personally, but I think the adventure from Lure of the Expanse is a good second one (at least from the reads I've seen of it here).  The adventures from Edge of the Abyss or Faith and Coin are good follow-ups.

Personally, Faith and Coin is a far better book overall than Edge of the Abyss, both in the adventure and the rest of it, but I do like the personalities and extras in EoA.  From there, Stars of Iniquity, Battlefleet Koronous, and Koronus Bestiary don't necessarily provide hard-written adventures, but are excellent background books of stuff and people to find and fight.  

If you want another written adventure at this point, I would highly recommend the Frozen Reaches.  Damaris requires a bit of editing to make it really effective, but it's a ton of fun and a great setting for a group with some resources behind it (my run-through is in my signature).  The other two adventures after Frozen Reaches are okay, but not great, and don't really focus on what makes Rogue Trader so excellent.

If you get through all of those, I think you'll be well on your way to figuring out what makes your group tick, and they should be wanting to start writing their own endeavors in the Expanse!

(Play Report)The Frozen Reaches: Tobias Caine turns an Ork Warboss into a Chair: http://community.fan...s-into-a-chair/

Worthy Allies and Adversaries: http://community.fan...nd-adversaries/

#5 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 749 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:49 PM

I haven't run Faith and Coin yet, but I really like the Edge of the Abyss adventure. It starts out with a fun overview of "archaeology" in 40K, and then turns into a kind of survival horror as well as provides a decent amount of background as to what is going on with the dig.

It really depends on the kind of Rogue Traders that your explorers want to be, but I would consider one of the mini-adventuers from Lure of the Expanse would be a very good place to start..Either Vaporious or Zayth can be very easily run as stand-alone one-shots, that can provide a lot of fun opportunities for roleplaying, double-dealings and quite a bit of free-form combat although you'd have to do the bulk of the setup for that.

If you want a quick introductory adventure, I would stay away from Soul Reaver, Svard from the GM's kit or the Frozen Reaches, since that requires a fair bit of time.

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#6 Traejun

Traejun

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:23 AM

Do 1 or 2, to get used to the system.  Then... write your own.

#7 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

• Members
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:46 AM

There's no real rule. Lure of the Expanse is best not done as a first adventure, simply because it's nice if the players have acquired some sort of 'treasure' themselves that they can be called on to trade in for their ticket to the reading.

There are no shortage of both short and detailled endeavours and frankly the order doesn't matter. As discussed, it depends on what sort of 'theme' the players want to go for - archaeologists, conquistadors, merchants, colonists, or missionaries.

Also, remember nothing stops them being all five.

#8 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 749 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:40 AM

My point with Lure is for a first adventure there's no reason why you can't skip the Foretelling, and have an unrelated third party contract you to go to one of the other five worlds. The AdMech could want to strike up trade relations/blatant thievery with Zayth, but realise they're terrible at talking to people. A Merchant Guild could hire the Rogue Trader to investigate why their ships never reported back from Dross. Some drug dealers have heard of a highly addictive and profitable substance located somewhere on Vaporious. A mythical treasure ship has been sighted somewhere in the Expanse. Your players think you hate them, so you Warp Stormed them into the Processional of the Damned.

Then later if you want to do the full adventure, they realise that they've already seen something like what they're looking for and have to rush back. Alternatively, everyone else starts doing Lure of the Expanse, and gets really mad that your players keep showing up first to claim the clues. How do they know? HOW?

• Nameless2all and Brother Orpheo like this

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#9 Sebastian Yorke

Sebastian Yorke

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:56 AM

Take the modules and increment those. An example on how to "badass" the initial adventure:

Get the players through a small "Large Scale Warfare" (Battlefleet Koronus) during the "Into the Maw" adventure while trying to get through more and more Orks occupying the ruins that contain the Mirror.

Or have then be clever and somehow get there stealthly (as Fel would be doing himself). Up Fel's ship to a larger class, give him some NPCs that can actually shoot the guns decently. You can even give Fel a Teleportarium!

On the way out, get them into a dogfight with a Fighta-Bomma.

Fill the Righteous Path with demons, have apparently unpowered airlocks close behind them. Give them personal treasures at the end of the adventure (a power sword, lesser refractor field, etc...).

RT Wannabe Shipwright & Frustrated GM

#10 darkforce

darkforce

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:31 PM

Well, I kicked my players off with that Adventure in the Core-Book (into the Maw), after that I let them play Vaults of the forgotten (a pretty nice adventure I think) and after that we went through quite a bit of free exploring and adventuring.

Now I'm actually playing the published adventures in the order Lure of the Expanse (almost done... almost done) which I used to line up some plot-hooks for the Soul Reaver (next in Line) and the Warpstorm-Trilogy, which will then be the point where the characters are far too powerful both in XP and Profit-Factor wise to make playing with them 'fun' without escalating things even further.

But, Erathia, I totally love your Idea for LotE :D

Edited by darkforce, 11 December 2013 - 06:32 PM.

#11 breez

breez

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:24 AM

Take the modules and increment those. An example on how to "badass" the initial adventure:

Get the players through a small "Large Scale Warfare" (Battlefleet Koronus) during the "Into the Maw" adventure while trying to get through more and more Orks occupying the ruins that contain the Mirror.

Or have then be clever and somehow get there stealthly (as Fel would be doing himself). Up Fel's ship to a larger class, give him some NPCs that can actually shoot the guns decently. You can even give Fel a Teleportarium!

On the way out, get them into a dogfight with a Fighta-Bomma.

Fill the Righteous Path with demons, have apparently unpowered airlocks close behind them. Give them personal treasures at the end of the adventure (a power sword, lesser refractor field, etc...).

I did quite a few of these things! Although the righteous path had genestealers instead.

#12 Amaimon

Amaimon

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:19 AM

I think about Righteous Path having psykarius worm, and zombies instead.

#13 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:18 AM

Some one else brought this question up a while back.  It was recommended:

1) Into the Maw (the initial adventure from the core RT book).

2) Forsaken Bounty (free download from FFG).

3) Dark Frontier (free download from FFG).

4) Whispers on the Storm (the adventure from the RT GM screen).

5) Lure of the Expanse.

6) Warpstorm trilogy part 1.

7) Create your own as needed (to include in between each recommendation).

Other adventures not included in the list above (not intentionally omitting previous ones mentioned by other posters) are

Vaults of the Forgotten (in book Edge of the Abyss).

Fall from Grace (free download from FFG).
A Throne Forged of Iron (free download from FFG).
The Glass Key (free download from FFG).

Traitor's Nexus (free download from FFG of an additional adventure for Lure of the Expanse).

Various adventure seeds throughout core RT book, HA, BFK, EotA, KB and other published material.

Note:  Erathia's recommendation is a good one, and obviously one well liked by a majority of people.  A certain reason why the Star Mirrors were not discovered by the previous explorations of the planets can be a simple hand wave and mentioning "Eldar Psyker Intervention" when transitioning over to LotE.  :D  Anyhoot, happy gaming.

• Iku Rex likes this

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS