Adjusting the Original Characters

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:20 AM

This is something that occured to me--has anyone thought about making adjustments to the original Investigators stats? To make them more even matched? Maybe nerfing Daisy a bit, or even giving Vincent a bit more to work with?

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,229 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 04:11 AM

Never felt the urge to fix any of the characters. I'm fine with someone being a little stronger and someone being weak. I think it adds realism to the game (the world has Montereys and not only Rolands, and winning a Monterey game - or, as Avi suggested a long time ago, a 5-investigator party made only of Vincent - gives you quite a big satisfaciton).

I'm also ok with Patrice and Daisy, even though I recognize them to be overpowered so, some nerfing could be welcome. IIRC, Tibs suggested Patrice to have one less focus and investigators weren't allowed to use her clues to seal gates. Don't remember the fix for Daisy, but still, she's not as OP as Patrice.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,582 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:45 AM

Daisy's fix was to have 1 focus instead of 2, and she can only use her Spell ability once per turn. Not as extreme measures need to be taken against her as for Patrice.

Ahh... remember the good old days when everyone went nuts over how powerful Daisy seemed?

#4 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:37 PM

Well, Vincent, for instance, just needs his stats shifted, I found, and buy him two new clue instead of giving him $9. With a speed of 5 and a Sneak of 4, he can still get around very, very well and do what his power needs him to do.

#5 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:33 PM

I've thought about it, certainly. The standard in the games I'm in is to choose investigators rather than select them randomly, which means good investigators are considered "requirred" by my group - we have to play with Jacqueline and Mandy for instance. I find this really boring. I think there is also some power creep in the expansions that need to be dealt with; too many of the later characters seem shinier for my taste.

#6 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:27 PM

That is absolutely true. Someone like, say, Mingh is infinitely more selectable than, say, even Caroline. I think that they first created the core Investigators knowing the 'base' stuff to cover--that is, healing, clue usage but not sharing (Joe and Mandy vs. Patrice) and like with even Elder Signs, largely ignored anything having to do with Allies at all until people like Charlie came around.

#7 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:15 AM

For the base game, these are the changes I would make if it were up to me:

Sister Mary: Personally I think Mary is a better character than many here give her credit for, but her special ability is a bit weak. Lost in Time & Space is really only a risk when you are stuck in another world, and Mary's stats don't make her a good gate sealer: she has poor Fight and only average Lore. She also doesn't start with any clues. I might also suggest that the Blessing is slightly overcosted.

"Ashcan" Pete: I think it's less that I don't like Pete and more that I don't like Duke, or the mechanics of Duke. Both Brinton and Duke annoy me in that they feel like they provide less benefit than most Ally cards. Reduce Pete's Fight for an extra point of Speed and make Duke give a Fight bonus instead - he's a large dog, it makes sense. Then I'm happy.

Montery Jack: Oh, Monty. You suck so bad. He doesn't need to be Sanity 3/Stamina 7, it's just ridiculous. he's supposed to be an homage to Indy, and Indy is made of tougher stuff. Make him at least a 4/6 or even 5/5. Also, he doesn't need $7 to start with. That'd be better served giving him an extra Clue or two.

Kate Winthrop: Kate isn't weak, but there is something bad about her design in that it tends to keep her pinned to one part of the board and not really doing anything. While opther people are gate crashing and struggling with monsters, she's babysitting. I think maybe a more complicated mechanic might be worth it to let her use her ability but still scoot around a bit.

Vincent Lee: I look at Vincent as a parallel  to Carolyn. Carolyn's ability makes her a very good spell-caster, because she can eat up the Sanity loss from spells. Vincent's ability would make him good at dealing with tougher monsters, the primary source of Stamina loss, but he's built as a spell-caster rather than a fighter. So I prefer to rebrand Vincent altogether as a combat medic, completely changing most of his stats. Up Speed, lower Sneak, raise Fight, lower Luck, sacrifice a point of Focus if you have to. Just a complete shift.

Gloria Goldberg: I like Gloria.I do. She's just a little soft. here special ability makes her more of a gate-sealer, but she only has average Lore and poor Fight. I'm sensing a trend here. Lower her Luck and put it in Lore instead.

Dexter Drake: Dexter should be a better character than he is. I think he would benefit from more sanity and les Stamina, and perhaps lowering his Speed a bit in favor of Sneak instead. With that I'd be happy with him.

#8 ceridan13

ceridan13

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:37 AM

Regarding Sister Mary, I recently came across this suggestion by Kevin Wilson, maybe you should try it out:

From Kevin Wilson (as posted on FFG):
Alternatives: Sister Mary (08/24/06) 
I've been thinking about Sister Mary (the Nun) lately, in response to the general dissatisfaction with her abilities. What if she could pay 1 clue token to re-roll her Blessing upkeep roll? That way she could still lose it (out of clues, cursed, etc.) but she has a much greater chance of holding onto the blessing for a significant portion of the game. Personally, I've always liked her, but after many, many games, I guess I have to say that she could use a boost.

#9 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,582 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:33 PM

Sister Mary should start with 3 extra clues unless you're using the Innsmouth Personal Stories. I'm not going to deal out spoilers though :P

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS