How much can a YT carry, part II

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 cvtheoman

cvtheoman

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:11 PM

the problem with the hanger bay is it doesn't seem to make much sense with the other capitals that can already carry ships.

for example, the silhouette 5 Marauder cruiser can carry 12 fighters & 2 shuttles = about 40 silhouette, not 5 as per the attachment.  admittedly, this is not a retrofit, but 5 vs 40 is a huge jump.

Two things:

1. Silhouette is a size *category*, not a particular size. The Marauder (195 meters), is significantly larger than the Wayfarer (82 meters).  Based on the available measurements, you could likely fit upwards of 8 Wayfarers inside the volume of a single Marauder.
  2. There's a huge difference between a) stocking craft in a purpose-built hangar, and b) modifying a craft that was never intended to *have* a hangar such that it can launch, and land craft at a moment's notice.  That difference is an enormous part of why a retrofitted hangar gives so little capacity compared to purpose-built carriers.

i get what you're saying, but the difference just seems so huge.

like shadai said, i'd prefer something a little more concrete.  i get the abstraction to some extent, but i think they went a little too far that way.  but, that's my preference, not ffg's failing.

Math is such a tool.

#42 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:28 PM

That's fair. But considering the variable sizes of starships of all silhouettes, although perhaps particularly silhouettes 5+, a concrete value would be problematic.

This is where sound reasoning and judgement comes in, whereas an A-wing is silhouette 3, so is a B-wing, although an A-wing can probably fit into smaller vessels than a B-wing...

Make sure your brain is engaged, before putting your mouth into gear.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

GMLovlie's/Jegergryte's Cubicle direct link to supplements here.

#43 Voice

Voice

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:56 PM

the problem with the hanger bay is it doesn't seem to make much sense with the other capitals that can already carry ships.

for example, the silhouette 5 Marauder cruiser can carry 12 fighters & 2 shuttles = about 40 silhouette, not 5 as per the attachment.  admittedly, this is not a retrofit, but 5 vs 40 is a huge jump.

Two things:

1. Silhouette is a size *category*, not a particular size. The Marauder (195 meters), is significantly larger than the Wayfarer (82 meters).  Based on the available measurements, you could likely fit upwards of 8 Wayfarers inside the volume of a single Marauder.
  2. There's a huge difference between a) stocking craft in a purpose-built hangar, and b) modifying a craft that was never intended to *have* a hangar such that it can launch, and land craft at a moment's notice.  That difference is an enormous part of why a retrofitted hangar gives so little capacity compared to purpose-built carriers.

i get what you're saying, but the difference just seems so huge.

like shadai said, i'd prefer something a little more concrete.  i get the abstraction to some extent, but i think they went a little too far that way.  but, that's my preference, not ffg's failing.

The difference *is*  huge.  That's kind of the point.

From a length perspective, the two ships are akin to a basic cargo van and a semi with a dedicated car trailer.

Sure, you can probably cram a 4-wheeler and a quick-deploy ramp, and have room for some basic tools and a can of gas, but the semi can fit a full-size car, a few 4-wheelers, and 4 motorcycles, and still have room for fuel, a fully-equipped tool box and some dedicated maintenance space for the smaller vehicles.

• FangGrip likes this

#44 sithlord71

sithlord71

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:52 AM

I just use my own method which seems to be working, but not accurate.

The YT-1300 has a silhouette of 4, and i will allow one vehicle of silhouette 2 or

two vehicles of silhouette of 1 each to be allowed to be stored aboard the ship.

The encumbrance is used specifically for equipment so the players know how to better stock the ship.

Like i said, it's not accurate, but has been working really well in my games.

Since this topic has not really been covered by FFG, i guess there really is no wrong answer.

• bladerunner_35 likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS