How much can a YT carry, part II

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Shadai

Shadai

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:51 AM

This has been asked before, but I'm asking from a specific angle.

I can't really seem to find a good answer in the book, so I'd like to hear some opinions on this.

My players have a YT-2400 (sil 4, encumbrance 140) and want to put a vehicle in the hold for them to run around in on planet.  Think the atv like vehicle on Serenity in the Firefly series. There are a couple of problems with this.

1.  There isn't a vehicle like that (minor issue really)

and more importantly, 2. How much can the YT fit, and how big.

I mean, do I need to have the retrofitted hangar bay to even fit something in like a land/air speeder?  And what about Speeder bikes?  I would think they could shove a couple of those in the hold and still have plenty of space.  And what's even going to bake your noodle more is when you start asking how much encumbrance one of those bikes or aforementioned  air/land speeders take up.  All of those have encumbrance values of their own, but nothing to suggest how big or heavy they are outside of the vague silhouette value.

Thoughts?

#2 Krieger22

Krieger22

• Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:03 AM

I recall that in the WEG D6 system YT-1300s had a cargo capacity of 100 metric tons. As for volume, that's harder, but figure a cargo hold that's maybe 3 metres high and something like 8 x 8 metres large.

#3 kinnison

kinnison

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:49 PM

whatever you think would work, and fit.  Obviously the biggest issue would be how to get the craft in and out.

My suggestion is to get a bigger ship.  The Serenity was around twice the size of YT-2400

Check out my current Campaign:

The Minos Cluster

Last session 8/9/14 'Beyond the Rim: Prologue'

Last Update 8/22/14

#4 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,869 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

Storage space on starships has been a wonky issue since the WEG days.

Prior to FFG using "Encumbrance Value" for their ships, it was just tonnage.  But that didn't always mesh up with the floor plans and how much space they had available.  I seem to recall a few ship designs that had a lower tonnage score than the YT-1300, but far more room to put stuff, and at least one or two instances of the opposite being true.

Truthfully, I'd treat the question of "just how much stuff can I cram into my freighter" about the same as Star Wars in general treats questions based in hard science... that is, ignore it in favor of plot and what feels appropriate.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#5 Kallabecca

Kallabecca

• Members
  • 787 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:52 PM

Tonnage (WEG) or Encumbrance (FFG) makes far more sense than volume as it more correctly reflects the limits of the engines to actually lift the ship.

Think of it like planes used today. Their cargo capacity is more limited by mass than by volume because unlike a car or truck, you can't just cram it full of any random thing (gold vs wool being a great example) and expect the plane to take off. So, just because it has spare room (volume) doesn't mean it has power to fly with more mass (Tonnage or Encumbrance).

#6 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,887 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:59 PM

Encumbrance is supposed to a combination of mass and volume, not just mass.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#7 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:16 PM

Judging from this:

falcon.jpg

You could probably fit a couple Hummers in there, something like the atv in Serenity should fit…barely

Edited by whafrog, 29 November 2013 - 08:16 PM.

#8 Shadai

Shadai

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:18 PM

Exactly.

I find it odd that the rules mention encumbrance but no sort of weight/encumbrance value of the item in question.  Its great knowing my players YT-2400 can carry 140 encumbrance (whatever that is) but what is the encumbrance value of a crate of blasters?  Of a speeder bike?  A crate of foodstuffs?  

I can't find anything in the rules that addresses this.

In fact, I can't find anything in the rules that addresses silhouette value a ship can carry outside of the aux hangar bay attachment.  Only there does it seem to be mentioned, and that is when the attachment is on the ship.  So if I have a ship without an AHBA, does that mean I can stuff anything in the ship that is 3 silhouette less?  4?  What's the rule?  It doesn't seem to be clearly defined.

I can eyeball it and make it up as I go along, of course.  I'm a competent enough GM to pull that one off.  But I was wondering if maybe I was missing something in the book, or perhaps someone else knows.

Keep the comments up guys, I feel with some good discussion we can get this solved.

#9 archon007

archon007

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:36 AM

Did you read the huge thread on this same topic with a ton of opinions and math?

#10 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:50 PM

I don't think mass should really be a consideration.  The mass of the ship itself dwarfs any cargo it could hold, unless *maybe* it was stacked with solid gold or lead.  Anything beyond that (like, say, an atomically small neutron star :) ) becomes a plot device.

#11 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,887 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:57 PM

I don't think mass should really be a consideration.  The mass of the ship itself dwarfs any cargo it could hold, unless *maybe* it was stacked with solid gold or lead.  Anything beyond that (like, say, an atomically small neutron star :) ) becomes a plot device.

I think that people are thinking mass is going to matter in the same way it does with loading aircraft IRL. It is possible to overload an aircraft, so it may be possible to overload starships based upon aircraft.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#12 Shadai

Shadai

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:31 AM

The problem is the game doesn't list encumbrance for some items.  I'll demonstrate this with a few examples. 

Scenario 1:

The players in a YT-2400 raid a pirate base.  The pirates just hit a huge shipment of weapons, and they haven't moved them yet.  Inside the base there are 9 crates of weapons.  How many can they fit into that YT?

Answer: We don't know, really.  We know the encumbrance capacity of a YT-2400 is 140 (whatever units 140 is said to represent).  But we don't know how much a crate is.  Obviously, the easy answer here is for me the GM to just assign some sort of random value of say 20 to each crate.  Meaning 7 crates can fit on the YT.  But I'd rather have a value.

Scenario 2:

Inside that pirate base is also 7 speeder bikes.  How many speeder bikes can they fit into the YT?

Answer: Again, we don't know.  There is nothing in the rules that tells me they can even put one in.  The only blurb about putting vehicles in a starship is listed on the Retrofitted Hanger Bay (P. 271), and the RHB can only be put on vehicles of Sil 5 or greater.  Meaning that YT can't even equip it.  So does that mean you can't fit a vehicle on it since the RHB is what allows you to store vehicles on a ship?  

A speeder bike is about the dimensions of a motorcycle in real life, except slightly longer.  You can fit a motorcycle in the back of a pick up truck.  So if you can't put one in the cargo hold of the YT, what can you put in there?  What does that say about the cargo hold?  It's less then the back of a pick up truck?  And if that's true, how am I putting 7 crates of weapons in it?

Okay so assuming you can fit one on the YT, how many can you fit?  The speeder bike does not list an encumbrance value for how much it encumbers something (I don't want to say weight, because that gives the wrong impression).

Scenario 3:

That pirate base is pretty well stocked.  They have a cloud car too.  Can that fit into the YT?

Answer: No?  Why not?  It is silhouette 2 just like the speeder bike.  But we all know from watching the movies that a cloud car is significantly larger then a speeder bike.  Logically you can't just roll one of those up the ramp.  The lack of an encumbrance value for the cloud car itself is only one of the problems here.  Logically, silhouette doesn't make sense sometimes.

Scenario 4:

Instead of a YT, the players chose a Wayfarer as the starting ship.  It has a RHB equipped and they have inside the ship two Z-95s for two of the players to jump into when space combat starts to protect the ship.  The Wayfarer has an encumbrance cap of 850 units.  With two Z-95s already on board, how many crates of weapons, speeder bikes and/or cloud car can they fit into that transport?

Answer:  See what I'm getting at here?  Because we don't know what the encumbrance value of a Z-95 Headhunter ship, we don't know how much of the cargo bay is even in use.  Compounded by the lack of an encumbrance value for the speeder bikes and cloud car, it becomes a guess for the GM to figure this out, instead of cold, easy to determine numbers.

#13 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:12 AM

How about x10 for silhouette 2 equaling 20. 300 for silhouette 3. 4000 for silhouette 4, etc.
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point if EU.

#14 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:04 AM

Scenario 1:

The players in a YT-2400 raid a pirate base.  The pirates just hit a huge shipment of weapons, and they haven't moved them yet.  Inside the base there are 9 crates of weapons.  How many can they fit into that YT?

Answer: We don't know, really.  We know the encumbrance capacity of a YT-2400 is 140 (whatever units 140 is said to represent).  But we don't know how much a crate is.  Obviously, the easy answer here is for me the GM to just assign some sort of random value of say 20 to each crate.  Meaning 7 crates can fit on the YT.  But I'd rather have a value.

Check the book again, I'm having trouble finding it but I'm pretty sure it mentions the encumbrance difference for crating items.

MAGIC HEADPHONES PROTECT ME FROM THE SPACE!

#15 Shadai

Shadai

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:11 AM

Scenario 1:

Check the book again, I'm having trouble finding it but I'm pretty sure it mentions the encumbrance difference for crating items.

Yeah, that's what I thought too, but I can't seem to find it.

#16 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:20 AM

Scenario 1:

Yeah, that's what I thought too, but I can't seem to find it.

Keep looking, its in there, I've used it. I remember because I was surprised how little it changed the enc of heavy blaster rifles

MAGIC HEADPHONES PROTECT ME FROM THE SPACE!

#17 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:29 AM

It's under encumbrance in the Gears and Equipment chapter. It touches on it lightly, basically halving, I think, the stored items' encumbrance - although that might be a comment from Sam Stewart during an Order66 episode. Although the CRB does state that a shipping crate takes somewhere around 5 or 6 encumbrance. I discussed this in a recent blog post over here.

Make sure your brain is engaged, before putting your mouth into gear.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

GMLovlie's/Jegergryte's Cubicle direct link to supplements here.

#18 Shadai

Shadai

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:32 AM

Would help if you had a page number. I hate books with poor indexes. I'll keep looking but I've been back and forth in the equipment chapter with no luck. Could be that I'm just old.

Regardless, it still doesn't help with the fact that no encumbrance value is given for vehicles.

EDIT: thanks Jegergryte, found it after reading your blog. I think 5 or 6 for a shipping crate is a bit low, but perhaps its a small crate. Its comparing it to a repeating blaster rifle or a heavy toolbox. Those aren't that big, so I assume the (small) crate would be roughly the 3'x3'x3' ish. Or perhaps 4', but not much bigger. Bigger crates would have to be more, obviously, but it at least gives me a base to work from.

Still doesn't help with vehicles, =(

Edited by Shadai, 03 December 2013 - 07:41 AM.

#19 dremaa

dremaa

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:39 AM

Would help if you had a page number.  I hate books with poor indexes.  I'll keep looking but I've been back and forth in the equipment chapter with no luck.  Could be that I'm just old.

Regardless, it still doesn't help with the fact that no encumbrance value is given for vehicles.

Page 152:  "Large or heavy items such as cargo crates, repeating blaster rifles, or a heavy toolbox, are valued at 5 to 6."  It is not exact, but does give some idea.

#20 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:40 AM

I cannot recall page number, AFB, but its under the Encumbrance heading, towards the end of that section in the chapter. I think Encumbrance is pretty early in the chapter.

Encumbrance for vehicles ... I don't know if its needed really. Although a x10 multiplier ofsilhouette could make sense, I mean since characters are 5+Brawn=Enc ... a speeder taking up 20 makes sense, perhaps a speeder bike could take up less, like 15, but around there somewhere is a good idea.

Edited by Jegergryte, 03 December 2013 - 07:41 AM.

Make sure your brain is engaged, before putting your mouth into gear.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

GMLovlie's/Jegergryte's Cubicle direct link to supplements here.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS