Missing cards

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Radish

Radish

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:22 AM

Hey.  I picked up the Netrunner box trying to get some friends into a new cardgame that didn't require constant updating like Magic and was looking at some decks online.  However it seems like some of the cards don't have a full playset.  Am I supposed to buy two boxes to get all the basic cards I need resulting in other playsets having a bunch of unusable extras?  Or is there a card pack that includes these missing cards?

Edited by Radish, 29 November 2013 - 08:24 AM.

#2 stormwolf27

stormwolf27

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:28 AM

If you look at the bottom right, next to the expansion symbol, you will see one, two, or three pips. These denote how many copies come in each core set. (the runner consoles are 1 of, certain ICE is 2 of, etc).

You can either buy a second core set, or buy singles online (or if your LFGS sells them). You should check out teamcovenant.com... dunno if they have any in stock, but they sometimes have faction packs for the core set (so you can buy all the criminal cards, HB cards, NBN cards, etc) or just singles.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#3 Radish

Radish

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:38 AM

I thought half the the point of the LCG idea was that you DIDN'T have to deal with buying singles from people.

The other option being spending $40-80 for a few more cards?

Edited by Radish, 29 November 2013 - 08:50 AM.

#4 nungunz

nungunz

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:25 AM

The reasoning for the card numbrs the way they are is for ease of play and getting people playing right out of the box. It's much easier to say "shuffle all the green and gray cards together" than say "grab all of the green and grey cards and then find x, y, or z copies of these cards and shuffle them into a deck".

It's designed to get people playing quickly. That being said, a completion set would be very nice. All other data packs and deluxe sets do have 3 copies of each card, however. It's only the core set that has restricted numbers.

Ebay usually has a lot of completion sets, though can be pricey. I just ended up buying 3 core sets and selling off all of my extras on ebay. However 2 cores is fine. The only cards you'd want 3 of for the 1_of cards are: Desperado and SanSan City Grid...maybe Grimoire and Corporate Troubleshooter I certain decks.

#5 frybender

frybender

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:27 AM

If you're playing casually there is absolutely no need for a second core set. The game plays amazingly well straight out of the box. If you start playing competitively then while you're buying the other data packs you will at some point want to most probably get the second core set. By the way, the three-ofs in the second core set are not a complete waste. Many people like to make extra decks with different factions and the second core set makes it easier to do that without having to switch out cards.

• skipper.pickle and etherial like this

#6 CommissarFeesh

CommissarFeesh

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:48 AM

Second what Frybender says. A second Core is useful not just for the extra 2 and 1-of cards, but also for running multiple simultaneous decks with little to no card-swapping. Yes, it's a pain that FFG don't sell completion sets, but we're all in the same boat.

Honestly I've never run a deck with three of the Core consoles anyway (too hard to fit in AND keep to 45-card deck). Same goes for SanSan City Grid. Two of, yes, but never three.

#7 Radish

Radish

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:46 PM

Ok Thanks for the info guys.

#8 Radish

Radish

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:56 PM

BTW if anyone else is in my position, Cool Stuff Inc is selling the core set for twenty bucks right now for Black Friday..

#9 LInsoDeTeh

LInsoDeTeh

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:49 PM

I got my 2nd core set yesterday and found it really useful to complete the collection. After having bought the 2nd, you'll have 3 copies of most cards. Precisely, there are just 11 cards, which are one-off in a single core set, so you only have them twice then, but that's not a big deal considering there are hundreds of card types. As someone said earlier you can use the duplicate triples to run multiple decks at the same time with minor switching.

So in my opinion a 2nd core set is worth buying, a 3rd one is quite useless. Completing by ebay is not a good idea either though, considering the guys there sell the cards for like 7$ EACH.

Edited by LInsoDeTeh, 02 December 2013 - 03:49 PM.

today I'm coding, tomorrow I'm debugging, and next week I'll cast the queen to int.

#10 quailman2101

quailman2101

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:19 PM

I really wish ffg would sell a fairly cheap expansion to complete the core set.  

#11 nungunz

nungunz

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:24 PM

Agreed, but it won't happen.

#12 Grimwalker

Grimwalker

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:53 AM

Say I'm FFG...I'm going to put in the time and money to create a product that I make less money on and is expressly designed to undercut sales of the keystone product of an entire line.

Yeah, that will happen.

• Hans Chung-Otterson, Internutt and etherial like this

#13 Internutt

Internutt

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:09 AM

If people really want missing cards and don't want a core set, some of the one ofs are available through drafting.
Otherwise,just wait for a sale.

#14 frybender

frybender

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:19 PM

If people really want missing cards and don't want a core set, some of the one ofs are available through drafting.

I'm almost 100% sure that Desperado is not included in the draft set. Anyone knows which other 1 or 2 ofs aren't available?

#15 Grimwalker

Grimwalker

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:34 PM

Desperado definitely not.

#16 etherial

etherial

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:13 AM

I'm almost 100% sure that Desperado is not included in the draft set. Anyone knows which other 1 or 2 ofs aren't available?

Desperado is the only Core-set one-of not in Cyber War.

http://boardgamegeek...-war-draft-list

#17 frybender

frybender

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:28 AM

Cool thanks. I always have problems searching for stuff on BGG

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS