Banning or Restricted Cards

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RevengeRobot

RevengeRobot

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:42 PM

I causal stroll through the forum revealed the some people prefer to ban or restrict certain cards. My fellow players and I haven't banned any cards but we have restricted a few.

We have decided two followers Luna and the Scribe from the city expansion should be restricted to three uses after which they discard. 

What top five cards that ban/restricts in your games if any?

#2 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:24 PM

I wish we never came to this with 4th edition, but with the current set of rules and cards you cannot accept cards such as Luna, Scribe, Lucky and Flail. They're just too powerful. Misfortune Spell also made me put the Reaper figure aside, as I cannot accept all those instant killings.

#3 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:25 PM

Not true in my experience, but I only play with one other person.

We've both had these items, etc, in some cases more than once.  My wife totally loves the Flail, but I've never felt that our games were lopsided when she had it. (she always buys one, btw).

Likewise, she whined, at first when I had the Scribe and the follower who generated spells, and I think a book that gave spells and I cycled like a madman.  But I didn't win that game.

Maybe we're not as competitive as you all. We play for fun, certainly and we like to win, but our games don't always have huge imbalance because of these items.

I'm really hoping that the next time I get the scribe, and book/pet/follower that gives spells, that I also get

The Dungeon's Totem Staff.   Maybe then I would think I was overwhelming.

#4 Nefarious

Nefarious

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:11 AM

Luna + Lucky.... Well that's a killer combination, but not easy to obtain, especially that you're supposed to draw Pets randomly, not choose them. The Scribe can be a real nightmare, and the Flail is insanely powerful - it should be called "Epic mithril God-slaying Flail of Infinite Destruction" not just a goddamn, non-magical flail...

However I find, that mostly these cards are not a huge problem, since I play in a group of 4-5 powergamers who find pleasure in playing to win - and will do everything to achieve it. The effect is that anyone who grabs a too powerful combo quickly gets torn apart by others.

On the other hand I'm usually playing with my own expansion (The Vision), where my way to solve this problem was simply adding Relics and Treasures with a comparable level of power, what allows the other characters to get them, and still had a chance against a Flail-wielding Vampiress with a panda...

#5 RevengeRobot

RevengeRobot

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:52 AM

I agree Luna + Lucky is very awesome, but what makes these cards plus such cards like the flail and the spell book are how easily they can be acquired. In a game of seemingly randomness,  spell books, flails, and awesome pets aways make an appearance in my games.  

The scribe in the hands of character with a spell book will can cause inifinate loops, such lightning bolt or time spell locks.  

#6 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:08 AM

I have removed the Scribe from my game. I have recently seen the power of the flail, I may consider pulling this and the others listed. Gonna have a looksy later.

RoboRally, then Talisman. That's the way it is... ;)

#7 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:17 AM

I'm bloody surprised that these cards passed play testing. What were they thinking???

#8 Triple A

Triple A

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:33 PM

Yeah, we also limit the scribe to once-use only, and don't allow you to buy a pet if you already have one (although you could get a second pet from the City Adventure deck).

#9 adjogi

adjogi

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:06 PM

We took the Scribe out almost immediately and so don't even miss it. The other cards we don't seem to have a problem with. Yes they are powerful, but that's why we all race to get them!

Welcome to "Monsters & Magic", a NJ based Talisman Game Club!

www.njtalisman.com

#10 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:29 PM

Thinking about raising the price of everything in the city and especially the Flail, and that by more than 1. There just seems to be an abundance of gold in Talisman these days...

RoboRally, then Talisman. That's the way it is... ;)

#11 Croonos

Croonos

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:36 AM

I'm bloody surprised that these cards passed play testing. What were they thinking???

:D I thought you were one of them - sometimes you mentioned about it on this forum. http://community.fan...rk/?hl=renegade

But seriously those cards are nothing compared to Alchemist character which can easily win in a few turns with City expasnion...
http://community.fan...y/?hl=alchemist

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS