Twilight Imperium as an RPG.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KKylimos

KKylimos

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:15 AM

I have been working on this idea for some time now... Twilight Imperium is by far the best board game i ever experienced and as a fan of roleplaying games i would love to see FFG publish books that will allow people to play on the setting.

In my opinion , it wouldnt be TOO hard. There are many races to choose from and each race has a complex back story and a different personality archetype. In order to keep things from spreading too much , each race could have a preset class archetype. For example , Jol-Nars being "scientists" , winnu being the "face" , Letnev's being combat oriented etc. Ofcourse there would be a talent/skills system that would allow you to customise and personalise your character as much as you like. Another idea would be to have 6 archetypes that you can choose from after you pic your race. Ofcourse considering the racial traits of each one , some choices will be much more fitting that others.

The setting is also very rich. There are a million reasons for different races to form groups in TI and a million of places to visit. 

I personally adore FFG's work on the warhammer 40k roleplay and im sure that they would nail a TI version. Theres already a lot of content to draw from , both from TI and their other roleplays ( characteristics , character growth system etc.)

On the marketing side , i think that a TI rpg would also attract further interest to the franchise. Not everyone likes or can play board games so the product would spread in the roleplaying genre aswell which is a good thing.

So , what do you guys think? Would you like that? Do you think its a silly idea? Discuss :D

• adamwehn likes this

#2 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,605 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:57 PM

There was a TI RPG released back in the late 90s.  It was based on an earlier edition, obviously.  It was an in-house system and I think it suffered from some poor execution of mechanics.

A newer TI RPG based on one of the established systems they use for their current RPGs might do better.

#3 Fnoffen

Fnoffen

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:38 PM

I for one would LOVE a well functioning TI3-based RPG! The question is when in the timeline it should be set. Before the Twilight War? During it? At the time TI3 is played out? My vote (I only have one since my Home System is tapped and I own no other planet) would be cast on before the war.
  • adamwehn likes this

Pax Magnifica Bellum Gloriosum

#4 Zalatian XXIII

Zalatian XXIII

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:51 AM

I started working on this and then found this thread when looking to see if someone else did a timeline.

I will be starting the game right at the Letnev blockade of Quann and the subsequent attack by Federation of Sol. So I can develop the story and game material on races over time as apposed to trying to front load preparation, I'm having the players make humans from the Federation. As they run into the other races I'll develop them at that time, adding them to the list of playable races. I'll probably confine these playable races to the ones that would reasonably work together. 

#5 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,605 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:14 PM

I think a proper RPG should be independent of a specific time in the game's history. Provide a timeline, by all means. Identifying what races were around and when would be useful, but the game should be playable at any point in the TI history, subject to the whims of the gaming group.

#6 Forgottenlore

Forgottenlore

Midnight Dreary

• Members
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:37 PM

I think a proper RPG should be independent of a specific time in the game's history. Provide a timeline, by all means. Identifying what races were around and when would be useful, but the game should be playable at any point in the TI history, subject to the whims of the gaming group.

Decently set up, such a game would include the very common races and a sort of implied, but not really stated as such, default time period and then have a series of supplements that go into more detail on 3-4 specific time periods.

Thanks, Troy

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS