What expansions should I get?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 mccrispy

mccrispy

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:27 AM

That's a great summary Julia and aligns with "conventional wisdom" on the topic (so many threads!). I just have a couple of things to say in response:

• Lurker certainly does have some issues (Miskatonic helps a bit) but you get the Lurker Gates! In my opinion, these are as valuable an addition to the game as the Injury/Madness mechanic from Dunwich and you get them for the cost of a small box. You also get Relationships. I like Lurker.
  • Dunwich can be played with the Dunwich Horror herald from Miskatonic (and downloadable?) and that adds even more legs to an already great expansion
  • Do not underestimate the value that Personal Stories from Innsmouth bring to the game. Julia mentions (positively) them in passing, but they really do add a personal motivation for each Investigator and that helps you "invest" in the Investigator you're playing

My recommendation would be to first buy either King in Yellow or Dunwich Horror, then buy the one you didn't buy first and then buy Lurker (for the Gates). After that I'd go for either Kingsport (if you're looking for "more") or Innsmouth (if you're looking for a beating). Then you'll just buy all the rest anyway because you'll be hooked. My ideal "standard game" for people wanting to move beyond base game would be Arkham + Dunwich + Dunwich Horror Herald + Lurker Gates + Innsmouth Personal Stories. My group played this way for a long time before we felt the need to move on to playing Innsmouth.

#22 John Bua

John Bua

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:56 AM

If you are a freak like me, you take your tax returns and buy everything Arkham Horror related  ( books, minis, you name it) all at once and get Innsmouth rivaling stares from your wife.

Edited by John Bua, 01 December 2013 - 05:23 PM.

#23 Ghaundan

Ghaundan

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:42 AM

Well John, in Norway we get half tax in december (an old law to help labourers have some extra money for christmas presents, we do play a bit extra the rest of the year to make up for it though), and tax returns in summer so that's a bit away.

Not a huge "made in america" fan, or dislike. But hey, at least I know you won't use child labour. I presume I can just prime, paint and varnish as with a normal mini? Roughly what would shipping be to Europe?

Any recommendations to the amount of players? A normal game of arkham can run long if the player count gets high, just unsure if expansions will slow it down even more (obviously to begin  with) and of course balance wise. 

I have to stop spamming the tracking number, driving me insane. I want it so bad I can taste it!

#24 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:44 AM

A good rule on how many investigators in is the so called "rule of the thirds": expansion boards cover 1/3 of the core game area; for each "1/3", you play one investigator. Hence, 3 with vanilla Arkham, 4 with +1 exp board in play, and so on. The number of players could vary (since the game is full coop, you can have 2 investigators / player, or two or three players working together and deciding how to run a single investigator. Depends on your taste)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#25 Ghaundan

Ghaundan

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:07 AM

Well, I got the expansions a few days ago and we played against Tsathoggua last night. A bit sad we got him, but random draw is random! Sad because we had a new player and Tsathoggua limits what you can do ALOT as far as trophies go and we had a new player who didn't get to have fun with alot of the stuff you can get with throphies. However he did prove a good challenge and we won by the skin of our teeth.

The difficulty with the new cards  were noticed immediatly as well, granted we got some good cards alot were...horrible. It led to the expression "things in Arkham either go bad, or worse". It was however a blast and although we didn't go as much to dunwich as we hoped (-1 move due to weather caused huge problems for 2 of us).

It was a blast and probably we'll play with simply dunwich once more or we'll add a small expansion like the king in yellow, although I might need a bigger board...

#26 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:23 AM

Space is ever a problem in Arkham, it truly is--I've taken to clearing out one room of the house and playing on the floor, that way I can keep the door closed whenever I need to 'Pause' a game. XD

As for Dunwich, it is one of those games that can go either way--you either will wind up working in the sleepy little town, or you won't. No gates opening there means you've no reason to go, since there will be no monsters which, in turn, means no Horror. It sounds like you had fun though, Dunwich or not, and that is what is most important!

#27 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:38 PM

I mostly just need a better box to store everything...

#28 mccrispy

mccrispy

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:03 AM

Just one word: custom foam core inserts.

Do it!

#29 mccrispy

mccrispy

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:15 AM

Well, I got the expansions a few days ago and we played against Tsathoggua last night. A bit sad we got him, but random draw is random! Sad because we had a new player and Tsathoggua limits what you can do ALOT as far as trophies go and we had a new player who didn't get to have fun with alot of the stuff you can get with throphies. However he did prove a good challenge and we won by the skin of our teeth.

I guess I'd ask whether the noob had fun and whether it wouldn't have been better to choose an AO that would have helped the noob get a better feel for the game without the additional complication of an AO that has such a restrictive effect on the game. Whenever I'm running with a noob I prefer to carefully construct the game in advance to make sure that it will be fun for the noob as my biggest concern is to make sure that the noob "gets it" and comes back for more (after all, the more players that I know that like AH, the more AH I can play :))

The difficulty with the new cards  were noticed immediatly as well, granted we got some good cards alot were...horrible. It led to the expression "things in Arkham either go bad, or worse". It was however a blast and although we didn't go as much to dunwich as we hoped (-1 move due to weather caused huge problems for 2 of us).

It was a blast and probably we'll play with simply dunwich once more or we'll add a small expansion like the king in yellow, although I might need a bigger board...

Yeah, the perennial problem of a sleepy Dunwich. I found that Miskatonic pretty much fixed that issue for me, as well as introducing some nastier Mythos. Before MH was added to the mix it was rare for the Dunwich Horror to wake up, after MH was added it happened quite frequently and would have done so more often if we hadn't put in the effort to prevent it. It went from vague possibility to constant threat in one fell swoop. I'm not sure that I'd recommend MH as a second expansion (but it's close - others disagree), but certainly worth considering once you have King in Yellow as the replacement Act cards in MH are, IMO, somewhat better than the originals.

#30 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:16 AM

Tsath isn't a bad option for a new player. It limits's the choices available, which would normally be awkward, but in the case of a new player it actually reduces the complexity.

• Julia likes this

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

#31 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:42 AM

Tsath isn't a bad option for a new player. It limits's the choices available, which would normally be awkward, but in the case of a new player it actually reduces the complexity.

Agreed. Tsath's doom track is also pretty longish, giving a lot of time to the newcomers to properly feel the game and even if they don't have options to get free clues or allies or stuff around the board by using locations abilities, they still have enough time for everything. Additionally, in case no sealing / closing victory is scored, newcomers could also taste the flavour of Final Battle: even if brutal (Tsath is no easy guy to beat in FB), it's always better than a "you wasted too much time and now Azathoth has destroyed the world"  conclusion (considering Azathoth the usual guy you introduce new players to the game)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#32 Ghaundan

Ghaundan

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:55 AM

Do it!

Do you have any pictures of this? :P I might be interested actually.

I wasn't aware I'd be getting a fifth player so I wasn't able to "prepare" anything exept having the board set up and we all agreed we'd do random. Even had to "argue" with one that he wouldn't get one of the new investigators, he'd pick random as everyone else.

I wouldn't have minded the reduction of complexity if it wasn't for the unending monster explosions we had. The terror level rose QUICKLY. Which led to a few of us (the new guy was a redeemed cultist so he really got alot from that) having several monster tokens with not much to use them on. Which was sad, but that's how it goes at times.

We had ALOT of time and even got into the theme quite a bit. Like one guy got the magician..Drake something? "I am the only one with the magical abilites neccessary to save the world!"  A few turns in: devoured. The redeemed cultist? "will you stop killing my friends?!" It was good fun :)

#33 ceridan13

ceridan13

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:19 PM

You could try this: http://boardgamegeek...rror?size=large

#34 mccrispy

mccrispy

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:02 PM

You could try this: http://boardgamegeek...rror?size=large

Thanks for that ceridan13! I currently only have a custom insert for the cards and use a tackle box for tokens etc. But the image you shared is pretty much the idea. I'm hoping that I'll get a set of three flight cases for Christmas and that one of the sizes will be sufficiently large to store my entire Arkham set using foam core inserts.

My preference for foam core inserts is to create "lift out trays" as a gaming equivalent of "oven to tableware", one just lifts the insert out of the box and uses the insert to hold components that are used during play. Currently this is the role fulfilled by my tackle boxes - but I hope to change that as I can never find exactly the right tackle box.

#35 mccrispy

mccrispy

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:07 PM

Do it!

I wasn't aware I'd be getting a fifth player so I wasn't able to "prepare" anything exept having the board set up and we all agreed we'd do random. Even had to "argue" with one that he wouldn't get one of the new investigators, he'd pick random as everyone else.

I wouldn't have minded the reduction of complexity if it wasn't for the unending monster explosions we had. The terror level rose QUICKLY. Which led to a few of us (the new guy was a redeemed cultist so he really got alot from that) having several monster tokens with not much to use them on. Which was sad, but that's how it goes at times.

We had ALOT of time and even got into the theme quite a bit. Like one guy got the magician..Drake something? "I am the only one with the magical abilites neccessary to save the world!"  A few turns in: devoured. The redeemed cultist? "will you stop killing my friends?!" It was good fun :)

Ah! Gotcha! Thanks for the extra info.

You've hit on one of the things that makes AH my favourite game: it generates its own memes. One of my group's favourites is used to indicate a zero-chance probability, it is: "fourteen dice for a Cultist?". Never fails to raise a laugh. Then there's "a Blessing is just for one turn, but a Curse, that's for forever".

#36 Ghaundan

Ghaundan

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:56 AM

We had one meme started, which happened when the new guy pulled an encouter card "Does nothing good ever happen on these cards?" Which caused the "Things in Arkham either go bad or worse"

Thursday we'll try a different big box expansion, not sure if a small one is a good idea as well? We'll probably only run with somewhat experienced players though, so we can get some speed up. I know AH takes some time, but with a good group I think it can go relatively fast for a complex game.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS