Help - Relationship Matrix to Balance Weak Characters

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JerseyP

JerseyP

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:15 PM

Hi   (skip to paragraph 3 to get to the point)

I'm interested in using the new relationship cards in a different way to create more interesting investigator choices at the beggining of the game. My usual method of picking investigators is to deal 4 and each player picks one. This helps with variety. I don't have Kingsport, and I have limited myself to a 28 investigator pool - for example no patrice or mandy because they are too much, and no Vincent because he is bad, I don't like his story, and I don't like his stupid face.

Anyway, even dealing four and picking one doesn't help variety much. If you get a bad one (sister mary) oh well, you have 3 to choose from instead of four. I like Dexter, and Mary ect.. but they are bad. For me theme is just as important as mechanics and they need to work together. Heres my Idea.

Instead of dealing out relationship cards, they will be tied to specific investigators. This will create interesting choices when choosing a team. Should you take the best investigators, or two weaker ones that have a relationship bonus? I'll slightly alter the investigator cards (scotch tape?) to add a relationship attribute to that character. There are 3 possible methods

1. Straight pairings.  example:  on "Skids" O'toole -   Skullcrackers: Michael McGlen

2. As an attribute.    example: "Skullcracker" printed on each Michael Mcglen, Skids, Mark Harrigan,   ect...

3. Attribute system anchored to one character.    example: on Agnes Baker, Practitioner of the Art with Diana Stanley and Marie Lambeau underneath as possible connections.

Multiple options for one relationship could be resolved by a players choice or turn order. I'm going to create a web of possible relationships incorporating mostly the weaker characters of the game that will be tied to the theme of each characters back story/character design. For example George Barnaby and Finn Edwards are both weak in combat, require combat for their personal stories, and are hunting for revenge in their back stories. I think the hunters card would do them well.

I like #3 best. A character gets one attribute, with two possible investigators to connect it with. I need a better idea of who the weak characters are. Rankings are subjective.

My list ideas so far:

Zoey - Mystic Knight: Mary, Akachi

Agnes - Practitioner of the Art: Diana, Marie

Finn Edwards - Hunter: George Barnaby, Mark Harrigan

George Barnaby - Keen Analyst: Harvey Walters, Carolyn Fern

Dexter Drake - Student of Arcane: Diana, Amanda

Tommy Muldoon - Courageous Inspiration: Mary, Diana

Monteray Jack - Collector: Harvey, ?

Sister Mary - Take me instead: ?

Amanda Sharpe - Book Club: George Barnaby, ?

I think you get the idea. I hope this wasn't too confusing. You can see how it could be cool to have an interwoven list without any straight double relationship combinations - I'd like to avoid that. I have more ideas about this, but I'll leave it for now and see if anyone else is interested in this. Tell me what you think.

#2 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:15 PM

It sounds to me like a 'CLass' system, similar to Final Fantasy. They have a possible list of 'classes' and they get matched up based on applicable classes. I like it.

Book Club could include Amanda, George, Harvey, Mingh, Daisy.

Take Me Instead - Mary, Tommy (since he's best when he's, well, dead anyway), Silas Marsh

Edited by Dr.Faust, 22 November 2013 - 09:17 PM.

#3 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,596 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:31 PM

I don't know how much this will help, but I made a file a while back that restricts each investigator to only a subset of Relationship cards in the interest of theme. One of the side-effects is that characters like Michael McGlen won't start with Practitioners of the Art, for example, which is neither thematic nor useful.

It also imposes similar thematic restrictions on skills and common items, and in a few cases, spells and unique items.

http://boardgamegeek...ing-possessions

• dj2.0 likes this

#4 amikezor

amikezor

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:56 AM

I don't know how much this will help, but I made a file a while back that restricts each investigator to only a subset of Relationship cards in the interest of theme. One of the side-effects is that characters like Michael McGlen won't start with Practitioners of the Art, for example, which is neither thematic nor useful.

It also imposes similar thematic restrictions on skills and common items, and in a few cases, spells and unique items.

http://boardgamegeek...ing-possessions

Yes. Very cool add-on the thematic starting items / skills / etc. I do recommend them a lot ! 

Edited by amikezor, 25 November 2013 - 03:57 AM.

Mansions of Madness, Esoteric Order of Dagon

Play Arkham Horror with a Keeper

Variants for Arkham Horror

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS