Ideas for Critical Hit Scenarios?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 R22

R22

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:37 AM

Just curious. If you could add more critical hit scenarios, what would you add? I thought of:

Crippled Engine: This ship may only perform 1-2 speed manuevers. Boost and barrel role, if equipped, are no longer possible. Action: Roll an attack die, on a critical hit, flip this card over.

Turbulence: Move this ship 1 [straight] in the direction most opposite of the attacking ship regardless of orientation, then flip this card over. Any and all collisions must be immediately reconciled as normal immediately after.

Catastrophic Explosion: When this ship's last hull point is lost, all ships within range 1 must roll an attack die for damage. Hits are received as normal.

Engine Failure: This ship is not assigned a manuver and must perform a red 0 stop. Action: Roll an attack die, on either a hit or critical hit, flip this card over.

Shock Wave: Any ship within range 1 of this ship must roll one die for damage. Any damage is immediately resolved, then flip this card over.

Burst of Light: Any ship within range 1 of the rear of this ship is blinded for one turn and must perform a 1 straight as its next manuver.

Space Debrie: When this ship is lost, do not remove it from the board until the start of the following action phase. Any ship whose manuvers overlap its base roll a die for damage. Then remove this ship at the end of the movement phase.

Glancing Blow: Immediately flip this card over without further effect. Smile for effect.

Out of Control: Immediately move 2 straight and gain a stress. Then flip this card over.

Damaged Thrusters: You may no longer declare evade actions. Action: Roll a defense die, on an evade, turn this card over.

Cracked Canopy: You may no longer declare focus actions.

Pressure Loss: If equipped with a crew card, role a defense die. On an evade, flip this card over. Any other result, the crew member is lost.

Damaged Radio: You may no longer benefit from a friendly ship's ability. Action: Roll a defense die, on a focus, flip this card over.

Crippled Ship: You may roll one less defense die. Action: Roll a defense die, on an evade flip this card over.

I also thought it would be neat if we saw critical hits that incorporated the PS, reflecting the idea that these are intense situations for the pilots involved. I think this would be a neat way of introducing critical hits that actually could further benefit the player hit or the attcker, adding another twist to the game.

Disrupted Transmission: Any friendly ship with a PS -1 of this ship immediately gains a stress. Then, flip this card over.

Fallen Leader: When this ship is lost, any friendy ship with a PS -1 or more immediately gains a focus token. Then flip this card over.

Unexpected Loss: When this ship is lost, any friendly ship with a PS -1 or more immediately gains a stress. Then flip this card over.

Rally: When this ship is lost, friendly ships with a PS +1 or more immediately gain a focus token. Then flip this card over.

Revenge: Action: Gain +1 attack die when firing on the ship that delivered this hit.

Fury: When this ship is lost, one friendly ship the following round may gain + 1 attack against the offending ship in exchange for gaining two stress.

Thoughts?

Edited by R22, 22 November 2013 - 02:57 AM.

Rebels: 5 X-wing, 2 Y-wing, 3 Z-95, 5 A-wing, 4 B-wing, 2 E-wing, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 GR-75, 1 CR-90

Imps: 5 TIE/Ln, 5 TIE/In, 3 TIE/B, 2 TIE/D,1 TIE/Adv, 1 TIE/P, 1 Lambda, 1 Firespray-31

*1 Imperial Aces, 2 Rebel Aces included within total*

Want: YT-2400, VT-49

#2 swampthing

swampthing

• Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:01 AM

Just curious. If you could add more critical hit scenarios, what would you add? I thought of: Crippled Engine: This ship may only perform 1-2 speed manuevers. Boost and barrel role, if equipped, are no longer possible. Action: Roll an attack die, on a critical hit, flip this card over. Turbulence: Move this ship 1 [straight] in the direction most opposite of the attacking ship regardless of orientation, then flip this card over. Any and all collisions must be immediately reconciled as normal immediately after. Catastrophic Explosion: When this ship's last hull point is lost, all ships within range 1 must roll an attack die for damage. Hits are received as normal. Engine Failure: This ship is not assigned a manuver and must perform a red 0 stop. Action: Roll an attack die, on either a hit or critical hit, flip this card over. Shock Wave: Any ship within range 1 of this ship must roll one die for damage. Any damage is immediately resolved, then flip this card over. Burst of Light: Any ship within range 1 of the rear of this ship is blinded for one turn and must perform a 1 straight as its next manuver. Space Debrie: When this ship is lost, do not remove it from the board until the start of the following action phase. Any ship whose manuvers overlap its base roll a die for damage. Then remove this ship at the end of the movement phase. Glancing Blow: Immediately flip this card over without further effect. Smile for effect. Out of Control: Immediately move 2 straight and gain a stress. Then flip this card over. Damaged Thrusters: You may no longer declare evade actions. Action: Roll a defense die, on an evade, turn this card over. Cracked Canopy: You may no longer declare focus actions. Pressure Loss: If equipped with a crew card, role a defense die. On an evade, flip this card over. Any other result, the crew member is lost. Damaged Radio: You may no longer benefit from a friendly ship's ability. Action: Roll a defense die, on a focus, flip this card over. Crippled Ship: You may roll one less defense die. Action: Roll a defense die, on an evade flip this card over. Thoughts?

Space debrie?
Is this some form of deadly extraterrestrial cheese? :P

Otherwise I like a lot of them but not sure er need them.

Also don't we have the crippled ship one by another name.
' ship loses one agility with chance to remove as action '

Think i particularly like the loss of a crew.

If they did this I think I would rather swap in a few of these for some of the doubles we already have.

Edited by swampthing, 22 November 2013 - 03:04 AM.

#3 R22

R22

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:03 AM

Space debrie?
Is this some form of deadly extraterrestrial cheese?

Obviously.

None of them are necessary, sure. But the critical hits add such a unique element to the game, an opportunity for cinematic randomness and so many doubles appear so I thought it would be neat.  Just my two cents.

Rebels: 5 X-wing, 2 Y-wing, 3 Z-95, 5 A-wing, 4 B-wing, 2 E-wing, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 GR-75, 1 CR-90

Imps: 5 TIE/Ln, 5 TIE/In, 3 TIE/B, 2 TIE/D,1 TIE/Adv, 1 TIE/P, 1 Lambda, 1 Firespray-31

*1 Imperial Aces, 2 Rebel Aces included within total*

Want: YT-2400, VT-49

#4 swampthing

swampthing

• Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:14 AM

More I think more i agree, once I had considered swapping them in rather than having a 50 card deck.

So I retract my previous opinion.

DO IT FFG, DO IT PLEASE

#5 TheRealStarkiller

TheRealStarkiller

Scourge Of The Galaxy

• Members
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:38 AM

Yeah crap. This would lead into a complete mess.

Even now its hard to guess whether your opponents damage decks are like they supposed to be.

Somehow the damage deck is never really checked even on tournaments. It is so easy to swap cards if you own two starters.

No I don't do this. Even not on tournaments ... heck ... especially not on tournaments.

It is important to me to fight and win with honour. Not at all costs.

Basically I like your ideas. At least some of them.

But ever if somebody comes around the corner with ideas which would change an amazingly functioning game concept (or a working system) you have to think about it:

Is this the change the game really needs?

Is the change worth the efford? Do we all have so much more fun playing the game that everybody is thinking: "Damn we love it so much, we can't live anymore without. why don't we changed it in the first place?" Or does the changes make the game just more complicated, harder to learn and the matches longer - without having more fun or even less.

So, I'm really sorry but I have to say this:

DONT' DO IT FFG! DON'T TOUCH THE ******* DAMAGE CARD DECK

Edited by TheRealStarkiller, 22 November 2013 - 03:42 AM.

Sir, rebel transports sighted \                              / Affirmative.                                                           

(-o-)  (-o-)    (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)    (-o-)  (-o-) 

Excellent! Gamma wing, prepare for torpedo run. We'll provide cover.

|-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   (<o>)   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   

#6 Sprolly G

Sprolly G

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:59 AM

These I think are neat ideas:

-Catastrophic Explosion: When this ship's last hull point is lost, all ships within range 1 must roll an attack die for damage. Hits are received as normal.

-Damaged Radio: You may no longer benefit from a friendly ship's ability. Action: Roll a defense die, on a focus, flip this card over.
(Or evade?)

-Out of Control: Immediately move 2 straight and gain a stress. Then flip this card over.
(Maybe a random K-turn?)

-Cracked Canopy: You may no longer declare focus actions.
(Or stress related actions?)

#7 TheRealStarkiller

TheRealStarkiller

Scourge Of The Galaxy

• Members
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:28 AM

- Cracked Pilots' skull: You may only fly straights and K-turns

- Damaged Rudder: You may only fly left turns.

- Bleeding Eyes: Your opponent of your choice has mercy with you and givrs you one of his hit points.

- Completely out of control: Immediatly move 2 left, 1 right, 4 straight, barrel roll 3 bank left.

- Widely cracked Canopy: Immediatly get 10 stress tokens.

- Incontinent Pilot: You can't use target lock any longer

- Damaged Disk Player: Your pilot gets bored.

- Amazingly Extreme Catastrophic Explosion: When this ship's last hull point is lost, all ships within range 3 must roll 5 attack die for damage. Hits are received as normal.

#8 swampthing

swampthing

• Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:16 AM

Just get silly, and possibly derail the thread.
My appolgies.

1) What happens when your damage deck runs out of cards?
genuine question.

We already have the scenario where I could fly 6 Scimitar bombers ( if i had them), that is 36 hull.
In the unlikely scenario all double damage crits are recieved face down i am going to run out of cards, thats no including taking the cards for over damage.

It would technically be possible to swsp one scimitar for howlrunner say with determination and only ever draw pilot crits, but this is getting silly i know.

2) we may see a ship, or upgrade in the future that can discard more or have more hull, even larger point matches.

With this in mind I am happy if a dmg deck expansion was released and all future core sets altered to address this potential problem.

I AM 100% WITH YOU STARKILLER ON DECK TRUST OR EVEN HUMAN ERROR.

I am a sportsman and believe in honesty etc but have occasionally worried about my fellow man when at tournaments.
I am unlikely to count their dmg deck let alone check it but this is a different problem.

Ramble/rant over there was a genuine question in there somewhere

#9 Asgo

Asgo

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:20 AM

I am a sportsman and believe in honesty etc but have occasionally worried about my fellow man when at tournaments.
I am unlikely to count their dmg deck let alone check it but this is a different problem.

I probably would get suspicious if an opponent draws  such a critical error:
"Direct hit to your triggering circuits, your main weapons fires at random.
Every combat round, roll one attack die against your closest enemy, ... " ;)

But hey, in general I'm a trusting person. Still, it's true the damage deck is the only element which seems to be not checkable on the fly (assuming you/someone counted they other side's list points ...)

#10 oneway

oneway

Imperial Bomber Pilot

• Members
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:00 AM

Easy fix for the trust issue.. Both players use the damage deck of their opponent..

"I mean, come on kid, my armor's older than you are.."

"Hahaha. Very funny, at least I only hit the enemy target, Ya collateral bastard."

Corp. Haig Talin, MK - 472

Armor 18 - Fire - N - Ice 181st Mechanized Armor Assault Div

#11 NotBatman

NotBatman

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:12 AM

Even now its hard to guess whether your opponents damage decks are like they supposed to be.

How would this be any different with an updated/upgraded damage deck? You're either checking your opponents deck or you aren't - the specific cards involved don't simplify or complicate crit cheating...

The bigger hurdle, I think, is how do you distribute the updated decks? You'll end up with scenarios where someone opts not to purchase the deck upgrade, so now do participants play with different decks? One deck or the other will inevitably be judged as being more optimized than the other and that's the only one that will get used.

That being said, I think a lot of the effects are very thematic and would be fun to incorporate SOMEHOW. Special scenario rules for Fallen Leader, and such. 

#12 TheRealStarkiller

TheRealStarkiller

Scourge Of The Galaxy

• Members
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:19 AM

I got another one:

- Won Lottery: Pilot quits duty. Immediately remove the ship.

#13 SableGryphon

SableGryphon

Ghostly Void Bison

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:31 AM

-Screen Actors Guild Strike: All actors walk off the set. Remove all pieces from board and put everything away. Then each player puts his opponent's pieces back onto the board as best as (s)he can remember them.

Come on down to Sable's Shuttle Emporium for all your Alabaster Void Bison needs!

5 TIE Advanced, 6 TIE Bomber, 4 TIE Defender, 10 TIE Fighter, 6 TIE Interceptor, 4 TIE Phantom, 4 Firespray, 5 Lambda, 2 VT-49

7 A-Wing, 7 B-Wing, 3 E-Wing, 7 X-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 6 Z-95, 4 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300, 2 YT-2400, 2 GR-75, 1 CR-90

#14 Fencer

Fencer

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:30 PM

There are a lot of good ideas, I hope FFG release some new ones soon. Variety and new stuff is always welcome :)

Rebels: 4 X-wings, 2 Y-wings, 2 B-wings, 2 A-wing, 2 YT-1300, 1 HWK-290

Empire: 6 TIE Fighters, 2 TIE Advanced, 2 TIE Interceptor, 2 Lambda Shuttle, 2 Firespray-31

#15 TheRealStarkiller

TheRealStarkiller

Scourge Of The Galaxy

• Members
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:52 PM

- Reactor Breach: Take an additional damage. If your ship is destroyed, your opponent immediately smashes this model by jumping on it.

#16 ForceM

ForceM

• Members
  • 625 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:21 PM

Somehow the damage deck is never really checked even on tournaments. It is so easy to swap cards if you own two starters.
No I don't do this. Even not on tournaments ... heck ... especially not on tournaments.
It is important to me to fight and win with honour. Not at all costs.

Basically I like your ideas. At least some of them.
But ever if somebody comes around the corner with ideas which would change an amazingly functioning game concept (or a working system) you have to think about it:

Is this the change the game really needs?
Is the change worth the efford? Do we all have so much more fun playing the game that everybody is thinking: "Damn we love it so much, we can't live anymore without. why don't we changed it in the first place?" Or does the changes make the game just more complicated, harder to learn and the matches longer - without having more fun or even less.

I am totally with you concerning the deck. Don't trust anyone! But since even now its impossible to control, why the heck not...
Anyway, with you it's always "no don't change anything" in any thread.

New rules? No
Better balancing? No
Expanded universe? No
New damage cards? No

Well i get you like the game as it is, and actually i also do. But it's far from perfect, and FFG should actually start to filter the forum for the good and well argumented propositions of the very active fanbase this game has, and consider some of them. Because like that, they could make the hype this game created go on for a while more.

Eventually, X-Wing needs to evolve beyond only adding a few new ships every few months. Every tabletop game that survives its few first years will eventually need some changes to be done. I hope FFG will be careful and well-reflected when this happens, because i really like the game.

#17 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:51 PM

You mean like creating new damage decks for Transport and Corvette?

Well i get you like the game as it is, and actually i also do. But it's far from perfect, and FFG should actually start to filter the forum for the good and well argumented propositions of the very active fanbase this game has, and consider some of them. Because like that, they could make the hype this game created go on for a while more.

Eventually, X-Wing needs to evolve beyond only adding a few new ships every few months. Every tabletop game that survives its few first years will eventually need some changes to be done. I hope FFG will be careful and well-reflected when this happens, because i really like the game.

You mean like adding two new ways to play the game. With some additional rules, even if they are not true changes to the base rules found in the rulebook so many seem to desire. You claim that all these new ideas are creative. I think it is far easier to change the game than to create something new within the existing confines. And there are many legal reasons why FFG can't just pull from fans. The game is still very young, with only 3 Wave released. With the amount of ships FFG has hinted at, I think it is safe to assume we haven't seen the full extend of their creativity yet.

#18 a4rino

a4rino

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:11 PM

Engine Failure: This ship is not assigned a manuver and must perform a red 0 stop. Action: Roll an attack die, on either a hit or critical hit, flip this card over.

This one is broken. You perform a red maneuver (and gain a stress), and it requires an action to flip over (which you can't do, because you have a stress).

The only ships that could possibly break out of this loop are Tycho or a ship with Advanced Sensors, and even then the ships with Advanced Sensors would only have one shot at the dice roll before they became permanently stuck in the loop.

At the very least, this would have to be changed from a red 0 stop to a white 0 stop maneuver. I would expect, though, that forward momentum would take the ship forward in a straight, white 1-speed maneuver. 

#19 Xeonic

Xeonic

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:59 PM

All they need to do to release a new damage deck is change the image or even just the color of the backing. That way anyone will know which version of the damage deck you're using on a per card basis, and you would be able to merely add to or replace entirely the old damage card deck, and separate them later.

I'm not totally opposed to a damage deck expansion, as long as you could delineate the new cards easily.

I own two starter sets and am glad I made the decision to store my second damage deck in a deep, dark hole for fear of mixing the two decks. Getting the two separated once accidentally mixed would be a nightmare.

#20 SableGryphon

SableGryphon

Ghostly Void Bison

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:31 AM

All they need to do to release a new damage deck is change the image or even just the color of the backing. That way anyone will know which version of the damage deck you're using on a per card basis, and you would be able to merely add to or replace entirely the old damage card deck, and separate them later.

I'm not totally opposed to a damage deck expansion, as long as you could delineate the new cards easily.

I own two starter sets and am glad I made the decision to store my second damage deck in a deep, dark hole for fear of mixing the two decks. Getting the two separated once accidentally mixed would be a nightmare.

Changing the backing would only be viable if it was a whole new deck. You wouldn't want to mark the new cards on the back if they were going to mix with the new deck. The best way to mark them would be on the face, with a little icon to show the source.

Come on down to Sable's Shuttle Emporium for all your Alabaster Void Bison needs!

5 TIE Advanced, 6 TIE Bomber, 4 TIE Defender, 10 TIE Fighter, 6 TIE Interceptor, 4 TIE Phantom, 4 Firespray, 5 Lambda, 2 VT-49

7 A-Wing, 7 B-Wing, 3 E-Wing, 7 X-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 6 Z-95, 4 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300, 2 YT-2400, 2 GR-75, 1 CR-90

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS