Help with ION Bomb

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 eagletsi111

eagletsi111

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:23 AM

I'm planning on running a few missions in my league.    To do that I need some input on the Ion Bomb.

I was thinking the following:

5 Ion Bomb Drop a bomb token.   Any targets within 1 must roll 3 attack dice.  If hit suffer 1 damage and count as being Ionized.

What does everyone think?

#2 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:30 AM

I think you should roll 1 attack die only. It's awfully powerful otherwise.

To every man upon this Earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?
(Horatius: Captain of the Gate)

#3 Cptnhalfbeard

Cptnhalfbeard

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:34 AM

I like it - not a guaranteed damage, but a very likely one. Not sure on the cost, I imagine somewhere between seismic charge and proton bombs would be good - so 3 or 4 points? Maybe for 4 points make it give 2 ion tokens, that way the effect on a small ship is the same, but a large ship would suffer the ion effect.

#4 Cptnhalfbeard

Cptnhalfbeard

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:35 AM

I think you should roll 1 attack die only. It's awfully powerful otherwise.

Not really - seismic charge does 1 guaranteed damage to all ships within range 1, the only difference with this is that you would get an ion effect (and the slim chance of missing entirely) I think it is only a tiny bit stronger than seismic charge.

#5 Cerealthief

Cerealthief

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:40 AM

Maybe make it not do damage but just ion them (regardless of size) but for 4pts?

Edited by Cerealthief, 20 November 2013 - 09:40 AM.

#6 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:41 AM

Drop it on a swarm and see what ionizing them all does for you :-)

Under the current suggestion you are not rolling any defense dice so you are almost certain to roll a hit or crit on 3 dice that goes through.

If you want to make it slightly better than the Seismic, just have it auto hit for one damage, just like the seismic, then roll an attack die and on a hit or crit, you get ionized make it 3 or 4 points, probably 3.

To every man upon this Earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?

#7 eagletsi111

eagletsi111

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:42 AM

How about this:

4 Ion Bomb Drop a bomb token.   Any targets within 1 must roll 2 attack dice and suffer results as a hit from an Ion Cannon

This way if you get lucky, you can still affect big ships too

#8 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:46 AM

I agree if you're going to call it Ion it has to behave similarly to other Ion weapons in the game.  Otherwise it doesn't make any sense.

#9 eagletsi111

eagletsi111

• Members
  • 283 posts

My Buddy just suggested this:

4 Ion Bomb Drop a bomb token.   Any targets within 1 must roll 1 attack dice, if hit suffer 1 non critical damage and count as being Ionized.   On a critical hit Large ships will be affected.

#10 swampthing

swampthing

• Members
  • 397 posts

Many ideas in my head, need to ponder longer before a full reply but my first and strongest thought is

Ion bomb: exactly same process as seismic but no damage just an ion token and 2pt cost

The other is make it 5pts and add a dmg

#11 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:47 AM

I would alter it slightly to say:

Any targets within Range 1 must roll 2 attack dice. If you roll a hit or a crit on either die take 1 damage. For each hit or crit rolled take one Ion token and add it to the ship.

Just clears up the intent.

Nice idea overall though :-)

#12 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:48 AM

I think it should probably do a damage and Ion effect.  4 points seems like a nice sweet spot.

#13 swampthing

swampthing

• Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:51 AM

SSecond thought make it 4pts then we get a bomb for every occasion.

happy days

#14 TheRealStarkiller

TheRealStarkiller

• Members
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:14 AM

Ion bomb? for 4 points? Hell, why not!

Let the rebels bleed for their ignorance har har har

Sir, rebel transports sighted \                              / Affirmative.                                                           

(-o-)  (-o-)    (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)    (-o-)  (-o-) 

Excellent! Gamma wing, prepare for torpedo run. We'll provide cover.

|-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   (<o>)   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   

#15 eagletsi111

eagletsi111

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:25 AM

Looks like we are settling on this:

4pts: Ion Bomb: Drop a bomb token.   Any targets within 1 must roll 1 attack dice, if hit or critical hit. Suffer 1 non critical damage and count as being Ionized.   Large ships will only be affected on a critical hit result.

Edited by eagletsi111, 20 November 2013 - 10:28 AM.

#16 TheRealStarkiller

TheRealStarkiller

• Members
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:32 AM

Skip the rolling

4pts: Ion Bomb: Drop a bomb token.

Bomb detonates at the end of the activation phase. Any targets within 1 suffer 1 damage and count as being Ionized.

#17 nimdabew

nimdabew

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:36 AM

Skip the rolling

Bomb detonates at the end of the activation phase. Any targets within 1 suffer 1 damage and count as being Ionized.

This. All bombs cause auto effects, not rolling. If you want to do an ion mine, then keep with the rolling. 

#18 swampthing

swampthing

• Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:05 AM

Skip the rolling

This. All bombs cause auto effects, not rolling. If you want to do an ion mine, then keep with the rolling. 

this is what I was getting at, like seismic , no re-roll

and I fully agree if you want a bomb then no re roll and if you want a mine then roll

how does this look

Ion Bomb 4pts

Same as seismic but also take an ion token

Ion Mine 2pts

Same as proximity but one hit/crit result is one damage and one ion token, two hit/crit results =one dmg , 2 ion tokens, 3hit/crit results= 1dmg and 3 ion tokens fairly irrelevant but increased dice roll chances by rolling 3 same as proximity 

• TheRealStarkiller likes this

#19 TheRealStarkiller

TheRealStarkiller

• Members
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:21 AM

Now we got it

#20 MrHello

MrHello

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:47 AM

Ion Bomb 4pts

Same as seismic but also take an ion token

Ion Mine 2pts

Same as proximity but one hit/crit result is one damage and one ion token, two hit/crit results =one dmg , 2 ion tokens, 3hit/crit results= 1dmg and 3 ion tokens fairly irrelevant but increased dice roll chances by rolling 3 same as proximity 

I would agree with this, but on the bomb, I'd add the condition that if your base is touching the token take 2 ion tokens.  That way big ships can get in on the fun too.  All ion tokens are discarded at the end of activation anyway, so no reason not to pile on.  

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS