Question about Glorfindel??

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Ozil23

Ozil23

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:57 AM

I would like to know what cards work well with Spirit Glorfindel, and how does Light of Valinor works? If you attach it to Glorfindel does he quest (but he doesn't exhaust like an unexpected courage kind of) or how?

#2 Kassad

Kassad

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:05 AM

The benefit of Light of Valinor on Spirit Glorfindel is that he doesn't exhaust at all to quest.  This gets around his negative game text of raising your threat by 1.  Some other particularly good cards on him are Asfaloth from the Lore sphere (which you can play as part of a Spirit/Lore deck, or in a mono Lore deck if you want to play 2 handed, or a friend can play it if you are playing multiplayer). Rivendell Blade is another very nice card on Glorfindel.

#3 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:04 AM

pair with lore aragorn and frodo. any cards that make use of threat raise. this way his low start threat mixed with striders reset can make you raise threat without any fear of going to 50.

also secrecy cards are good if he is paired with heroes to be 20 start threat or under

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#4 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:16 AM

The Elven weapons, and more may appear sooner or later, are certainly nice with Glorfindel but it is his low threat that one should work with in the first place when building a deck; as Rich says above, pair him up with Strider (Lore Aragorn), that should often be nice, especially when you think of abusing threat raise. And the new Doomed cards coming with the Voice of Isengard seemed to be made for the duo (and both Frodo or Sam shall be great as the third companion).

Edited by lleimmoen, 20 November 2013 - 11:17 AM.

#5 koriakin97

koriakin97

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:18 AM

In multiplayer games I often use also Rivendell bow, paired with Rivendell sword makes him kill one enemy and spirit lacks defenders, so this enemy is often engaged with another player.

#6 chuckles

chuckles

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:58 PM

I would like to know what cards work well with Spirit Glorfindel, and how does Light of Valinor works? If you attach it to Glorfindel does he quest (but he doesn't exhaust like an unexpected courage kind of) or how?

Its more a case of what doesn't work with him... crazy low threat that can be completely mitigated, what's not to love? Be careful of addiction though... Elrond's Council is an auto include for Glorfindel, or just about any Noldor/Silvan hero for me.  

(My favorite solo deck is a tri-sphere featuring Glorifindel, Elrond & Legolas... which allows for the previous mentioned attachments; Asfaloth, & Rivendell blades, Rivendell bow, hands upon the bow etc...)

"Do not believe him! He has lost all power, save his voice that can still daunt you and deceive you, if you let it."

#7 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:04 PM

indeed- probably the best hero in the game....question- who even remembers we have a lore version?? ;)

#8 Kassad

Kassad

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:21 PM

indeed- probably the best hero in the game....question- who even remembers we have a lore version?? ;)

If there was an event card that cost 1 resource and read "Draw 1 card and heal a character for 1" you probably wouldn't play it.  That is essentially what lore Glorfindel's text is...which is terribad :)

Is there another example of such a blatant Good Version vs. Bad Version for the same Unique character?

#9 chuckles

chuckles

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:32 PM

If there was an event card that cost 1 resource and read "Draw 1 card and heal a character for 1" you probably wouldn't play it.  That is essentially what lore Glorfindel's text is...which is terribad :)

Is there another example of such a blatant Good Version vs. Bad Version for the same Unique character?

I really don't think so... you could make a case for Faramir, Denethor & Pippin... but they are all easier to offer a defence for. 

"Do not believe him! He has lost all power, save his voice that can still daunt you and deceive you, if you let it."

#10 Olorin93

Olorin93

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:54 PM

Probably not. Glorfindel is a really cool character in the book, and I wanted to build around the Lore version before I knew of the Spirit one. Now, I'm totally addicted to him. 5 Threat for those stats, and with Light of Valinor and Asfaloth... unbelievable.

#11 ronaldo24

ronaldo24

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:09 PM

Hey, don't forget about Boromir.  The new Leadership version is way better then the tactics style.  It's not perfect but a definite improvement.  Although, I agree Glorfindel is the most improved.

Ronaldo

youshouldplaythis.com

#12 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:12 PM

Hey, don't forget about Boromir.  The new Leadership version is way better then the tactics style.  It's not perfect but a definite improvement.  Although, I agree Glorfindel is the most improved.

Ronaldo

youshouldplaythis.com

i prefer tactics in every way to leadership. the leadership is a stronger race deck hero, but the tactics has better art, a more interesting ability, and instant access to tactics weapons

rich

#13 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:56 PM

I didn't get this... if Glorfindel's text let you also draw a card, I think he would get a lot more love :)  Am I missing something?

I like the Lore Glorfindel but he's only useful in quests where you can expect a lot of damage, and early on.  He shines against Archery damage, and works well in a deck built around healing for that quest.  Of course, the Prowl mechanic in that quest makes it hard to use his ability... so you just have to use it sooner, rather than later.  Since that quest basically assassinates all of your allies on card 2, Glorfindel definitely has a place there.

And as we all know, he works better with Elrond, if you don't mind the super high threat from those 2 alone.  I predict that Lore Glorfindel will have his day, once we get 3 or 4 more cards like Elrond, that say "When a character is healed by a card effect, do X."   Draw 1 card?  Deal 1 damage to 1 enemy?  Give that character +1 defense for the rest of the round?  There is some lovely design space for this guy!

#14 chuckles

chuckles

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:56 PM

Tactics Boromir + Gondorian shield saved me numerous times in the numenor quests... simply because he could he could fill any gaps! welcome addition to battle or siege quests and then able to ready himself to defend and or attack multiple times... all the while shouting for somebody else to do something! Or least find him Gandalf so he can continue to single-handedly save the day, which was a little unfair to the other hero's... )

Quite aside from saving the day repeatedly...  any tactics hero or character with a built in readying ability is so very useful. Not to mention that he has to be one of the most thematic hero's in the game... willing to sacrifice himself to slow down or hopefully stop the enemy.

Edited by chuckles, 20 November 2013 - 02:58 PM.

#15 Nerdmeister

Nerdmeister

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:23 AM

Coming to the defense of Lore Glorfindel:

I´ve used him in the nightmare decks recently. When paired with Elrond he does quite a good job at mitigating those decks´ wear-the-heroes-down-with-small-wounds approach.

I will agree that he can be costly but on the other hand you are assured a decent amount of healing from the start. I daresay it helped us win those scenarios quite a bit.

#16 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:34 AM

I like him a lot..... he is my favorite hero in the game

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS