Ork meat

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#21 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

• Members
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:52 AM

Really? You can't understand why Acolytes would eat ork's meat if they had to?

In fact, I can't see, in what lord inquisitor Iannise wrote, why Acolytes would have to eat Ork's meat.

Because.. they have to? Humans have to eat. Sometimes, we eat eachother if we have to. Really, I'm.. I'm not seeing how this could be a questionmark. Are you being deliberately obtuse, or am I missing something?

• Nameless2all likes this

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#22 DarkLoic

DarkLoic

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:46 AM

In fact, I can't see, in what lord inquisitor Iannise wrote, why Acolytes would have to eat Ork's meat.

Because.. they have to? Humans have to eat. Sometimes, we eat eachother if we have to. Really, I'm.. I'm not seeing how this could be a questionmark. Are you being deliberately obtuse, or am I missing something?

Of course Humans have to eat to survive !

But, what, in lord inquisitor Iannise's case, does explain why they must do this ?

As yous wrote, they can kill and eat each other too, for example.

We don't know either if they are in such a urge.

I am just asking for more context to be sure answering right to lord inquisitor Iannise's expectations.

#23 lord inquisitor Iannise

lord inquisitor Iannise

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:05 AM

Of course Humans have to eat to survive !

But, what, in lord inquisitor Iannise's case, does explain why they must do this ?

As yous wrote, they can kill and eat each other too, for example.

We don't know either if they are in such a urge.

I am just asking for more context to be sure answering right to lord inquisitor Iannise's expectations.

I apologias in Adventist for for my terrible spelling and or punctuation, it's 2 A.M. so bear with me here. 

If more contexts is is needed they jettisoned an escape pod over an ork infested ice world as a rather large space engagement is being fought over head. The acolytes have 3 main objectives 1. get off the planet 2. fined other the other surviving crew if any and 3 get to the habitable forest ring at the equator. 

The average day in the northern reign is about 10 degrees F nights get as low as -45 and tend to hoover around -25 but this is the the planets summer time. they do have survive suits with built in flak armor but they have to make damage check every time they get hit to represent a breech in the suit. 

They i asked this question because the guys just ran out of corps starch rashness and the adept who as FL xenos asked if they could eat ork meat i said i didn't know so we just said they still head some corps starch till the end of the night. then i made this forum the end if any more details are needed just ask. :) 

• Teyacapan likes this

#24 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:56 AM

Sounds like a cool scenario!

• Teyacapan likes this

#25 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:11 PM

Where there are Orks, there are many more squigs. Wouldn't it make more sense to eat them?

#26 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:59 PM

Unfortunately, the taste is probably very similar.  :unsure:

That being said, it'd likely still be a better option, if only because squigs are considered animals rather than sentient beings...

An interesting thing would also be the player characters' reactions. Depending on the individual Acolyte's home culture, some of them might not mind at all, others might be okay with squigs but not Orks, yet others would regard any Orkoid meat (including squigs) as unclean for spiritual reasons.

Out of curiosity, how did the PCs react - was there an argument within the group?

current 40k RPG character: Aura Vashaan, Astromancer Witch-Priestess
previous characters: Captain Elias (Celestial Lions Chapter), Comrade-Trooper Dasha Malenko (1207th Valhallan Ice Warriors), Sister Elana (Order of the Sacred Rose), Leftenant Darion Baylesworth (Rogue Trader Artemisia)

#27 lord inquisitor Iannise

lord inquisitor Iannise

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:35 PM

That being said, it'd likely still be a better option, if only because squigs are considered animals rather than sentient beings...

An interesting thing would also be the player characters' reactions. Depending on the individual Acolyte's home culture, some of them might not mind at all, others might be okay with squigs but not Orks, yet others would regard any Orkoid meat (including squigs) as unclean for spiritual reasons.

Out of curiosity, how did the PCs react - was there an argument within the group?

They haven't eaten it yet last session, they just ran out of Corps Starch. The adapt just asked if ork was an option.

But if you want to know the home worlds the adapt and assassin are noble born bothers. The assassin has a hunting rifle and the adapt is unarmed for now. The guardsman is from a feral world he has a short sword, hand cannon and heavy stubber. The big guy to scored two 10s when rolling for strength AND a 10 and 9 for toughness now 45 and 44 respectfully so when they do run out of ammo he can just punch orks to death. Them there's the the tech priest hes mined from a forge world and has a las carbine and a utility mechadendrite.    

• Nameless2all and Lynata like this

#28 lord inquisitor Iannise

lord inquisitor Iannise

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:36 PM

Sounds like a cool scenario!

thank you  :D

#29 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:36 AM

They haven't eaten it yet last session, they just ran out of Corps Starch. The adapt just asked if ork was an option.

But if you want to know the home worlds the adapt and assassin are noble born bothers. The assassin has a hunting rifle and the adapt is unarmed for now. The guardsman is from a feral world he has a short sword, hand cannon and heavy stubber. The big guy to scored two 10s when rolling for strength AND a 10 and 9 for toughness now 45 and 44 respectfully so when they do run out of ammo he can just punch orks to death. Them there's the the tech priest hes mined from a forge world and has a las carbine and a utility mechadendrite.    

Orks have a TB of 8 in Dark Heresy. How can he punch them to death? The must damage he can do with his fists is 1d5+3, if he has Crushing Blow.

#30 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

• Members
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:49 AM

[...]

[...]

Eh, matter of interpretation. Orks don't have souls, squigs don't have souls, so what does it really matter, really?

*eats some green with the blessing of the Emperor*

Orks have a TB of 8 in Dark Heresy. How can he punch them to death? The must damage he can do with his fists is 1d5+3, if he has Crushing Blow.

Righteous Fury.

Obviously.

Edited by Fgdsfg, 24 November 2013 - 06:52 AM.

• Simsum and lord inquisitor Iannise like this

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#31 Simsum

Simsum

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:24 AM

[...]

[...]

Eh, matter of interpretation. Orks don't have souls, squigs don't have souls, so what does it really matter, really?

Given the Orcish habit of eating humans, we can probably assume Orchish biochemistry isn't inherently toxic to humans. Probably...

But Orcs are full of fungi and algae that can fairly intelligently repair Orch physiology, which happens to be remarkably similar to the human, at least in broad strokes. So assuming any ingested bits of Orc isn't entirely digested, or that human digestion simply isn't fast enough, it does strike me as suitably 40K scienc'y that it would all bloom to life within the poor human host and rapidly murder the hell out of him in a grotesque & mushroom garden-like fashion.

As for food taboos, they generally have to do with the edibility of the material, and soul isn't a very common criteria. In fact, it's occasionally the justification for eating things people otherwise wouldn't eat in a million years - like the pulverised skulls of family members, for example.

If Orcs are in fact edible, I can easily imagine that Orc-plagued feral worlds will have Orc-eating traditions. Perhaps tribal warriors would eat the brains or biceps of a particularly cunning or large Orc before battle, to absorb its strength, or something along those lines. We Earthlings have done such things, though we've substituted Orc with Human, since the former is kind of scarce around here.

Righteous Fury.

Obviously.

*Likes*

#32 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:23 PM

Of course it's a matter of interpretation - it is a matter of the individual character's culture, after all. But I could see some people making a distinction between Orks and squigs because the former are "people" and the latter "animals", and culture dictating that you just don't eat people (i.e. anything that talks)..

Righteous Fury.

Obviously.

:lol:

If Orcs are in fact edible, I can easily imagine that Orc-plagued feral worlds will have Orc-eating traditions. Perhaps tribal warriors would eat the brains or biceps of a particularly cunning or large Orc before battle, to absorb its strength, or something along those lines.

I recall the Flesh Tearers having developed an appetite for them. :P

current 40k RPG character: Aura Vashaan, Astromancer Witch-Priestess
previous characters: Captain Elias (Celestial Lions Chapter), Comrade-Trooper Dasha Malenko (1207th Valhallan Ice Warriors), Sister Elana (Order of the Sacred Rose), Leftenant Darion Baylesworth (Rogue Trader Artemisia)

#33 lord inquisitor Iannise

lord inquisitor Iannise

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:31 PM

Well i was joking but, the book does says a successful hit causes one level of fatigue so... beat the ork asleep?  

#34 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:05 PM

[...]

[...]

Righteous Fury.

Obviously.

Not very dependably.

#35 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:08 PM

Well i was joking but, the book does says a successful hit causes one level of fatigue so... beat the ork asleep?  

Unless the rules for this were different in DH than in later games (I don't remember), you have to exceed the target's TB withyour damage to do Fatigue, meaning that this is unlikely. :) Albeit more likely than punching it to death. :)

#36 Routa-maa

Routa-maa

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:39 AM

But Orcs are full of fungi and algae that can fairly intelligently repair Orch physiology, which happens to be remarkably similar to the human, at least in broad strokes. So assuming any ingested bits of Orc isn't entirely digested, or that human digestion simply isn't fast enough, it does strike me as suitably 40K scienc'y that it would all bloom to life within the poor human host and rapidly murder the hell out of him in a grotesque & mushroom garden-like fashion.

I don't think Ork Regeneration is that powerful that there is possibility of old D&D scenario.

"Cannibal Dwarf ate hand of a troll. About week later he died when the troll hand, he had eaten, carved it's way out through his chest." Well he was NPC, but quite powerfull NPC, so no fudging dices with him. It was quite grotesque

• Lynata likes this
Muutokselle annamme Elämän, Elämälle annamme Muutoksen.

#37 Simsum

Simsum

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:53 AM

I don't think Ork Regeneration is that powerful that there is possibility of old D&D scenario.

"Cannibal Dwarf ate hand of a troll. About week later he died when the troll hand, he had eaten, carved it's way out through his chest." Well he was NPC, but quite powerfull NPC, so no fudging dices with him. It was quite grotesque

I wasn't even considering that scenario. I was thinking more along the lines of the algae and fungi bits trying to "repair" the human organism, because it's close enough to Orc that those repair mechanisms wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

But the eaten part of the Orc regenerating and trying to work its way out of its consumer, sounds like a horrifically fun scenario.

Oh eww! Suddenly having a mental image of one very hungry guardsman trying to cough up a half-eaten & suddenly revitalised wig-squig.
  • Lynata likes this

#38 Routa-maa

Routa-maa

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:19 AM

"Always remember to chew your food properly and have handy mallet to pound said dish to submission." ;)

• Nameless2all and Lynata like this
Muutokselle annamme Elämän, Elämälle annamme Muutoksen.

#39 lord inquisitor Iannise

lord inquisitor Iannise

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:26 AM

Unless the rules for this were different in DH than in later games (I don't remember), you have to exceed the target's TB withyour damage to do Fatigue, meaning that this is unlikely. :) Albeit more likely than punching it to death. :)

nope in DH u just need to make contact :P  

#40 DarkLoic

DarkLoic

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:24 AM

nope in DH u just need to make contact :P  

I think that an erratum says that you have to exceed the target's TB withyour damage to do Fatigue, in DH too.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS