Ork meat

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 lord inquisitor Iannise

lord inquisitor Iannise

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:24 AM

I'm running a campaign where my acolytes are ship wrecked on a ork infested world

now here my question, can humans eat ork meat with out adverse affects?

#2 DarkLoic

DarkLoic

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:36 AM

I'm running a campaign where my acolytes are ship wrecked on a ork infested world

What do you mean by "ork meat" ? :huh:

#3 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:28 AM

What do you mean by "ork meat" ? :huh:

I'm guessing he means butchered Ork bodies. I don't think there would be a problem, but if you are eeeeeeeeeeeevil, you could ask your players to make Toughness tests after every meal, occasionally muttering "oh my..." under your breath at the results... ;)

#4 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 3,171 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:09 AM

Somehow the topic made me think of this:

quorn-vegan-package-500x276.jpg

:P

• Cymbel, knasserII and Teyacapan like this

#5 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:25 PM

I would say that yes, you can eat them, but it's probably not very healthy. I imagine that they would taste like sweat and soy proteins.

So..

Like soy proteins, I guess.

Just in case you didn't know, Orks are actually fungi and reproduce by spores.

• Askil and Lynata like this

Gamergate Primer

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#6 Askil

Askil

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:27 PM

Just in case you didn't know, Orks are actually fungi and reproduce by spores.

Wrong!

Orks are animals, they possess an additional artificial fungal DNA strand. as such they are made of meat inthe traditional sense although it hasbeen noted that Ork muscle density is lower than that of a human, however the amountof extra muscle mass and the ability to continue growing throughout their lifetime offsets this.

In short ork flesh would be suprisingly tender, with lots of algae-rich blood and chloropyhl coursing through it to ensure it tased like swamp water. As to what iswould do to a human gastronomically I can`T saw but I don`t imagine that it`d do much good as Orks are apex predators and would provide little in the way of energy.

• Teyacapan likes this

#7 lord inquisitor Iannise

lord inquisitor Iannise

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:10 PM

Thanks for all the reply's guy, all just have the crew make an ordinary +10 Toughness test to keep cooked ork down, a +20 test if they been there a week or two, then a +30 if someone gets the cooking skill sound good? 

#8 Angel of Death

Angel of Death

• Members
  • 340 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:43 PM

You mean like this  http://www.servantso...php?comicid=187

• Routa-maa, Lynata and Fgdsfg like this

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

#9 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:52 AM

I hate the "Orks are fungi" meme that has spread through the 40K fanbase. There is no indication of this in the source material.

DITTO "orks make things work through sheer magic belief." Grrr.

Edited by bogi_khaosa, 20 November 2013 - 10:52 AM.

#10 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:10 AM

I hate the "Orks are fungi" meme that has spread through the 40K fanbase. There is no indication of this in the source material.

-But 'red ones' really do go 'fasta'! :P

#11 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

They go slightly fasta, and actually have engines in them. :)

#12 DarkLoic

DarkLoic

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:56 AM

Sorry, but I don't understand why acolytes would eat ork's meat at all ?

#13 Darth Smeg

Darth Smeg

Lord Nitpicker

• Members
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:40 AM

Themy might be hungry. Very hungry.

• Fgdsfg likes this

Tarald - The Dark Lord of Smeg

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on

My House Rules for using Only War (and more) for Dark Heresy games

#14 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:00 PM

Sorry, but I don't understand why acolytes would eat ork's meat at all ?

Really? You can't understand why Acolytes would eat ork's meat if they had to?

Gamergate Primer

Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.

#15 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:06 PM

They are on a frozen Tundra / desert war world fighting orks and have run out of starch rations. Just off the top of my head.
  • Fgdsfg likes this

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

#16 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:17 PM

This reminds me of an amusing thread that appeared in the Deathwatch Forums a while back. Space Marines can temporarily absorb memories from a person by eating some of their flesh; one GM was having a problem with his players automatically eating every NPC they came across, 'just in case' any of them had information useful to the mission! :blink:

The proposed solution to this problem was to start assigning Corruption Points for engaging in excessive cannibalism...

• Lynata and Teyacapan like this

#17 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:05 PM

This reminds me of an amusing thread that appeared in the Deathwatch Forums a while back. Space Marines can temporarily absorb memories from a person by eating some of their flesh; one GM was having a problem with his players automatically eating every NPC they came across, 'just in case' any of them had information useful to the mission! :blink:

The proposed solution to this problem was to start assigning Corruption Points for engaging in excessive cannibalism...

Well to be honest though.. ork meat wouldn't be as much cannibalism as it would be a nice mushroom stew.

Gamergate Primer

#18 Brother Anselm

Brother Anselm

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:14 PM

This practice was abhorrent to my Black Templar, he would never chomp down on a xenos, mutant or even a heretic, lest he absorb their ways by accident. very conservative.  

• Lynata likes this

#19 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 3,171 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:21 PM

It's an oversimplification, but Codex fluff actually does mention "fungal and algal strains in their genetic make-up", and goes so far as to mention that their green colouration stems from algae, or that Ork spores are fungal in nature and can even grow into simple fungi if the environment is not suitable to have them grow into actual Orks.

The so-called Waaagh!-field is a more tricky topic. I've taken a stroll through the Codex and the TT rulebooks, but could indeed not locate a specific mention of Orks making their gear work by sheer power of belief. It may indeed seem as if this is just one of the many "urban legends" within the community - personal opinion that, for whatever reason, has become so widely accepted that it is nowadays often presented as universal fact, just like with the myth about 40k canon, the oft-exaggerated body height of the Space Marines, or the Adeptus Mechanicus merely being an ally and an equal partner of the Imperium rather than a fully integrated part of it, to name just a few.

I confess I simply "adopted" this opinion about how Ork technology works as well just because everyone said so, so I guess I ought to thank you for calling this to my attention. ;)

It should be pointed out, however, that this interpretation is not entirely baseless. Both the Codex as well as the 6E rulebook mention Orks as a species being psychically active, emanating "mental energies" that act as a psychic beacon for other Orks (quite similar to how Genestealer Cults call for Tyranid Hive Fleets), and culminating in Weirdboyz acting as a focus point for this energy, usually releasing it in the form of devastatingly destructive blasts.

Both the Codex as well as the rulebook feature fluff blurbs about this species' technology, and whilst both sources explain at length that the nature of "Ork Teknology" is anarchic and sturdy, it does not mention psychic energy with a single word.

So, I would say that Ork tech working due to psychic energy is a possible interpretation (especially in light of Red Paintjobs, whose fluff does not mention different engines) - but make a point of how the original material actually leaves this open rather than outright supporting it. :)

As for Ork meat ... yuck. My own characters would probably rather start eating their clothes before resorting to such measures. Especially if the Codex is to be believed about the smell. :P

• Theofonias likes this

#20 DarkLoic

DarkLoic

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:26 AM

Really? You can't understand why Acolytes would eat ork's meat if they had to?

In fact, I can't see, in what lord inquisitor Iannise wrote, why Acolytes would have to eat Ork's meat.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS