Question regarding Whirlpool

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mauler78

mauler78

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:55 PM

If the runner can not jack out are they forced to access the cards at the end of the server?

#2 jkl620

jkl620

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:08 PM

I don't see anything in the rules that says "may", so I would say yes they have to.

#3 mauler78

mauler78

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:44 PM

I don't see anything in the rules that says "may", so I would say yes they have to.

If that is true, then that ICE has interesting applications to force runners into deadly traps, and if you chum it on top of that, oh my!

#4 mauler78

mauler78

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:48 PM

And my review of the rules on access (rules pg 18), the wording says runners can jack out prior to access, which of course Whirlpool blocks.  So having them run face first into a Overwriter and there is no way for them to stop it.  I think I just found new jank for my traps deck

#5 nungunz

nungunz

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:52 PM

Be careful, though.  Anything that ends the run or allows the runner to end the run (such as pop-up window) will still kick off.  Nothing says that the runner has to break subroutines.

This means if you have any other rezzed ice, it can't have ETR or the runner just won't break the subs.

#6 Kazumac

Kazumac

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:01 PM

I've used it before and had success with it. Currently I have rotated it out of my deck as I feel the opportunity cost of having it was too much. Without the right board state and supplemental punishing traps it can very well be a dead card in your hand most of the time. Against experienced cautious runners, the value goes down and against runners making lots of miscalculated errors, well Jinteki punishes that well already.

I'd say splash a couple and see how you like it. It has surely netted me a few wins in the past so ymmv. I just feel my current deck is more consistent without it.

#7 skwizzle

skwizzle

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:11 AM

I've seen it used well in HB tower servers (e.g. Whirlpool -> Ichi 1.0 -> Heimdall 2.0).

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS