That one game...

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 DanteRotterdam

DanteRotterdam

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:28 PM

Everyone… No wait, let me rephrase that, I think that everyone will have experienced this. You buy an RPG, read it, get enthusiastic to play it and then NEVER get to play it.

For me this actually happened with quite a few systems. I bought WoD, nWoD, Werewolf, Vampire, Dark Heresy, All Flesh Will Be Eaten, etc. There just aren’t enough hours in a day to allow my hobbies to fill and hardly enough people with the same interests in my town, at least not enough who confirm to the standard of hygiene I prefer.

But the one game I never got to play and wanted to play the most was Cyberpunk 2020. 

I bought the rulebook back when I was 15 and loved it. I borrowed it to my friends and not one of them thought it was interesting enough to play… Not one!

I still have the book somewhere in a box. I must have read it about a hundred times but never got around to playing it. I am sure I am not alone in this.

What games were the ones that „got away” for you?

#2 Naglareph

Naglareph

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:32 PM

The games that got away from me are Cyberpunk 2020 too...I really love the game. Left my core rulebook somewhere in my cuboard with C.O.P.S. and nWoD Vampire The Requiem (though I play the DA, VA, and TM of oWoD).

And lastly Hunther both from oWoD and nWoD.

May the Force be with you.

I II III IV V VI

#3 DanteRotterdam

DanteRotterdam

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:40 PM

Here’s hoping the FFG guys are reading along… 

A cyberpunk game would be most welcome. A Bladerunner one for instance! :)

#4 Naglareph

Naglareph

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:42 PM

Yeah, i'm pretty fond of all cyberpunks universe in general, though I have a preference for Deus Ex. Which is for me the most interesting one.

May the Force be with you.

I II III IV V VI

#5 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:55 PM

So far, Edge of the Empire!  :P

But your post immediately made me think of Aliens, by Leading Edge Games. Not because it's a great rpg (it's not - in fact, it's the worst I've ever read, not that I've read a lot), but just because, dammit, I'd really like to roleplay in that universe (well, more the first film than the second, but you see what I mean...)

• DanteRotterdam likes this

#6 DanteRotterdam

DanteRotterdam

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:02 PM

So far, Edge of the Empire!  :P

But your post immediately made me think of Aliens, by Leading Edge Games. Not because it's a great rpg (it's not - in fact, it's the worst I've ever read, not that I've read a lot), but just because, dammit, I'd really like to roleplay in that universe (well, more the first film than the second, but you see what I mean...)

Actualy, I think Aliens would be a better basis for an RPG than Alien. Not a better movie, but a better RPG.
I've always wanted to play an RPG based on the Goonies... Or Gremlins...
Wow, brain wave what if we could have an "80's RPG" where all those things are available Back to the Future, Gremlins, ET, etc.?
I'll design it! Heck if I remember correctly, ET even starts with the kids playing DnD!
  • I. J. Thompson likes this

#7 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:24 PM

Actualy, I think Aliens would be a better basis for an RPG than Alien. Not a better movie, but a better RPG.

I completely agree, on both points. 

And an 80s rpg? Throw in stuff like Weird Science and Revenge of the Nerds, and I'm so there!  :D

#8 bsmith23

bsmith23

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:49 PM

Instead of the characters meeting in a tavern in the first adventure, it would have to be Saturday morning detention...
  • I. J. Thompson and DanteRotterdam like this

#9 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:16 PM

This may sound out of place, but my Pathfinder book is just collecting dust. Which makes me sad, because the art alone for that game is enough to get me excited to kill some goblins.

A very hard-headed person in my group doesn't like how 3.5 nerfed fighters in later levels so he refuses to give Pathfinder a fair chance.

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#10 Gallows

Gallows

• Members
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:18 AM

I bought D&D 3.5 but never got to play it. Not really sorry though and to this day I can't remember just why I bought it.

#11 Keeop

Keeop

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:55 AM

Shadowrun. It actually made it to my table for a few sessions but the group wasn't right for it. A few of them were really into it and a few of them wanted to flip the table over. Amazing setting but the ruleset isn't for everyone. So, a complete like-new collection of 4E materials is kinda just hanging out on my bookshelf. I've held off on buying Pathfinder because I know it will just sit unplayed, not because of a lack of interest, but because I'm already running two bi-weekly groups with Edge and WFRP and there just isn't the time to fit it in. Don't buy what you know you won't play. Easier said than done sometimes, but not a difficult policy.

#12 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:26 AM

Most of the rules I buy I end up just reading.   Good for ideas if nothing else.  Now that EotE is here, and has received such an incredible response from my groups (even non-Star Wars fans), I have no regrets.

#13 Tashiro31

Tashiro31

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:42 PM

Shadowrun. It actually made it to my table for a few sessions but the group wasn't right for it. A few of them were really into it and a few of them wanted to flip the table over. Amazing setting but the ruleset isn't for everyone. So, a complete like-new collection of 4E materials is kinda just hanging out on my bookshelf. I've held off on buying Pathfinder because I know it will just sit unplayed, not because of a lack of interest, but because I'm already running two bi-weekly groups with Edge and WFRP and there just isn't the time to fit it in. Don't buy what you know you won't play. Easier said than done sometimes, but not a difficult policy.

2 years ago Shadowrun 4E caused a HUGE fight among some members of my regular gaming group and to this day the incident is still re-hashed. Its a shame because it is hands down my favorite rules system that I never get to play.

#14 kinnison

kinnison

• Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:41 PM

I had a group that i was in where we did a Alien universe RPG where we were Colonial marines (Like in the movie Aliens)  ended up clearing a station that was infested with xenomorphs.  one PC was purposely attacked by a facehugger for giving away the end to Aliens3 to the GM.  Through 2 botched rolls of the PCs he was killed.  I failed a melee roll and smashed the faceplate of the helmet in, allowing the facehugger's acid to eat at his face.  and another PC botched a medicine roll to render first aid, and ODed him on morphine.

But yea, finding a group is the hardest thing these days.

I love boardgames and usually buy 1 ever other month or so, and have a hard time finding players

Check out my current Campaign:

The Minos Cluster

Last session 8/9/14 'Beyond the Rim: Prologue'

Last Update 8/22/14

#15 machinebede1

machinebede1

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:39 PM

Mouse Guard. Really liked the mechanics and seemed like I could play it with my son. Its collecting dust next to my 4e D&D books

#16 DanteRotterdam

DanteRotterdam

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:47 PM

Mouse guard... I'd love to play this one day.
  • CrunchyDemon and kaosoe like this

#17 Zippee

Zippee

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:20 AM

For me it's Pendragon - sat on the shelf for years, still pretty much pristine, never had a player group that fitted the game structure.

And GURPS - everyone agrees it's a good concept, and makes sense then reverts back to whatever they know already. Lazy bunch I guess :D

Zippee

"For crying out loud, does it say Colonel anywhere on this thong?"

http://www.flickr.co...os/zippee/sets/

#18 Maelora

Maelora

• Members
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:10 AM

At the moment, it's 'One Ring'.

My players have dismissed it because it's 'mundane' :(

(and I actually assumed EoE would be summarily dismissed too, but everyone has fallen in love with it after I removed the elements like Obligation they were objecting to....)

#19 Jshock

Jshock

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:39 AM

For me, Dark Heresy. Describing it to my group as "Call of Cthulhu in the 40k universe" probably didn't help my cause, in retrospect.

#20 Agatheron

Agatheron

• Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:02 PM

For me, I think it's the Iron Kingdoms RPG setting based off of D&D 3.5. It's the one that got me buying RPG books again after MANY years away from it. Now there's a new Iron Kingdoms RPG that doesn't interest me at all, as it strikes me more as a miniatures game variant on Warhmahordes, but the resources they used under the OGL made for a fascinating setting and alternative to D&D 3.5 (which I never did play, btw).

Going WAY back, we did play Cyberpunk (orginal) at least once. I had once written for Iron Crown Enterprises, and I was intrigued by their Dark Space rpg... but it was released not long before they went belly up, so it died on the vine. It was penned by the now-famous Monte Cook.

• CrunchyDemon likes this

Official Contributor: Age of Rebellion: Stay on Target

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS