Mansions of Madness

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:53 PM

That could well be it, if I'm always playing the Keeper then I suppose that would make sense  :)

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#22 amikezor

amikezor

• Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:39 PM

I find it really interesting that you say CotW was a letdown. I find that the consensus is that MoM was doing many things poorly until CotW.  I tend to agree with that sentiment, though I like the entire package as a whole. To me, CotW made playing an investigator more attractive because you weren't all just following the first player through hallways. Everyone had a variety of places to go and ways to help out with the objective (or getting to the objective).

From my perspective, I am glad to see that other players were disappointed with CotW. This expansion has clearly some interesting mechanics but it so so poor in terms of story coherence and narration. The one thing I felt suspicious about CotW reviews, is that the ones who praised the most this expansion were the ones who did extensive playtests.

Anyway, different people like different things.

cheers

Mansions of Madness, Esoteric Order of Dagon and Mines of Yuggoth

Play Arkham Horror with a Keeper

Variants for Arkham Horror

#23 Soakman

Soakman

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:56 AM

That's fair. But it is rather hard to do a non-linear "clue chain" while providing a straight-forward and well-told narrative. That is sort of the trade-off in most cases: Story for Replayabilty.

You could easily make a very balanced scenario for MoM if it had not keeper choice options for the clue chain, and if there were less open room/board tiles.

Ultimately, this is the delicate balance that I think they need to work on for the next big box expansion (if there is one).

But, honestly, sometimes the vague narrative speaks to the Lovecraftian nature of the game. Not many of the protagonists actually understand all of the events that are occurring around them in his stories.

Gallery of Thematic Custom Investigators

You can find the .EON File Page @ Board Game Geek! Just follow this link: http://boardgamegeek...#comment4314881

#24 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,519 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:12 PM

I guess I'm allowed to talk about this now, since the expansion was released. The new PoD (The Laboratory) is a brilliant example of how you can have clues not chaining with a solid story behind. It's the best MoM so far, certainly worth trying, and I do really hope it's the beginning of something big :)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#25 Soakman

Soakman

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:42 PM

Hey thanks Julia.  I had seen it and it looked quite interesting. But I LOVE the short story it is based on. Good to know that you enjoyed it. My interest is sufficiently piqued, and (since I am planning on a MoM scenario as my next custom adventure), I'll probably check it out. It's been quite a long time since I've even played MoM, so building a scenario from the ground up is going to take some refreshing and more than a little research.

This seems like a great place to start. And, if it's as good as you say, I hope you're right about new beginnings.

• Julia likes this

You can find the .EON File Page @ Board Game Geek! Just follow this link: http://boardgamegeek...#comment4314881

#26 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,519 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:53 PM

:) Let me know what you think of it! And good luck with your personal creations. It's always a good thing when good custom content is released.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#27 dj2.0

dj2.0

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:09 AM

The Laboratory did revive my interest, but then I saw you need Forbidden Alchemy...not cool of FFG to link this new POD to their most catastrophic release for this line. Trying to recoup lost sales, perhaps? Still, the idea is awesome just hope they give us more but without the catch.

#28 amikezor

amikezor

• Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:00 AM

"

That's fair. But it is rather hard to do a non-linear "clue chain" while providing a straight-forward and well-told narrative. That is sort of the trade-off in most cases: Story for Replayabilty.

"

Well, at least 3 fan-made scenarios meet the challenge of having non-linear replayable with strong plot. These are Esoteric Order of Dagon, Spirit, are you here? and Curse of the Pharaoh.

It would be fair to mention that with a weaker plot, you have Incomplete Circle, and with no replayability but intense plot, you have the 3 danish tryptic (Arctic Explorer, Allsaint Asylum and In the Dark, Dark Wood).

Most of these scenario were designed long before the CotW and propose non-linear scenario, some have NPCs (called Allies in CotW), etc. So ingredients of the CotW were already there before with a better design.

As a side note, I designed a new replayable scenario with non-linear clues, intense plot, and 3 interconnected mini-maps: "The Mines of Yuggoth". It still need some extra-tests to put an end point on the final version (I started 1.5 years ago ^^). For now, I have the feedback of 7-8 tests (3 myself and 5 external) but aim at tenish. So it should be over by Christams or early next year. Basic ingredient are: Migos, Control Mind, NPCs, New tiles, Vermont, Yuggoth, Mines, Tok'l and Migo's weird cyber-technology.

As for the last PoD, I am very excited to test it. Let's see how it go.

Edited by amikezor, 21 November 2013 - 10:16 AM.

Mansions of Madness, Esoteric Order of Dagon and Mines of Yuggoth

Play Arkham Horror with a Keeper

Variants for Arkham Horror

#29 Soakman

Soakman

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:09 AM

Thanks Amikezor! I knew about these scenarios, but I haven't played many as I hadn't had a printer to make the set-up rules and additional component. I also tend to avoid scenarios with additional components outside of Keeper Action Cards, Events, and Clues, as I never want to throw them out afterwards, but holding onto them gets a little burdomesome on my storage (not to mention chaotic).

I will likely give those three you mentioned a try though. My other problem is that, unlike Arkham, when it comes top play-testing these scenarios I prefer to have 3-4 players minimum. And it seems like an entirely new scenario is much easier to botch and ruin the "fun" of the play-test than individual custom additions to AH.

I started my custom Investigators for Arkham in August and am mid-game wth my final playtests atm. So about 3 months to completely playtest and re-evaluate 8 investigators, haha. You can see that I am very slow when it comes to playtests.

Thanks, and I can't wait for the new PoD (and to try these other fan-made scenarios as well).

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS