• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ososober

ososober

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:19 AM

Hi guys, what is your opinion on this?

Actually, after reading the card description, i have changed my opinion as to when the counter spell should be cast, the text on the card is below

Cast as required. 
Negate the effects of any spell just cast including the command spell.

1st sentance "cast as required" is pretty self explanatory
2nd sentance "Negates the effects of any spell just cast including the command spell"

This is where is the perceived problem lays, in the wording of the card, now lets look at the wording
"Negates the effect of any spell cast"
 to me this states the player must be able to see the effect of the spell and then the player who is able to cast this spell then can choose to cast it. ie after the roll is made on the command spell, after the target is chosen and rolled for on random ect ect ect.

so in game play, the first spell is cast, the result is known, then the counter spell can negate the effects

#2 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:15 AM

so in game play, the first spell is cast, the result is known, then the counter spell can negate the effects

Umm, no.

"Q2: Can a character cast Counterspell to negate the effects

of the Command Spell or the Random Spell after the player
has already rolled the die?
A: No. Counterspell must be cast before the die is rolled." (FAQ, 1.0, p. 3)

You can also find the ruling in the 1.1 FAQ, point of me picking 1.0 is that this ruling is 4 years old, should NOT be cropping up today.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#3 ososober

ososober

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:25 PM

just because it is in the FAQ doesnt mean that the FAQ is right, according to the wording on the card.

if the wording on the card was cancel a spell as it is cast, then yes i would agree that it should be cast before any roll is made, but as the wording is negates the effect, then the effect needs to be known before it can be negated, therefore it is AFTER the result is known.

#4 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:14 PM

The Counterspell may have been worded badly (it didn't change from the 2nd edition wording). However Counterspell has to be cast before any die roll has occurred. You can't wait until the conclusion of the Spell to decide whether or not to cast it! The simple fact of the matter is that John Goodenough & the rest of the guys involved in the design process have given us the answer in how it should be handled. Do as you will but FFG & Nomad no doubt agree on this issue.

#5 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:48 PM

just because it is in the FAQ doesnt mean that the FAQ is right, according to the wording on the card.

Then it is worthless to write FAQ documents, since they can't clarify/correct/amend what's is partially/wrongly/incompletely written on cards.

#6 ososober

ososober

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:15 AM

they can rewrite what is on the card on future releases and future print runs

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS