City High Temple

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Helden

Helden

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:43 AM

In the High Temple in the city you have to pay 1-3 gold before you can pray with 1-3 dice.

But what happens when you cast the spell Reverence and only payed 1 gold? Can you then only chose from the 1-6 result or can you chose any of the results from 1-18 or do you need to pay the 3 gold before you can chose that?

Reverence:

Cast on any character who is about to pray. The character may choose which result to use instead of rolling.”

#2 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:58 AM

Only choose from 1-6 in this scenario.

Ell.

#3 ZeroGrim

ZeroGrim

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:21 PM

I would rule that you could choose any result so long as you were praying and rolling at least one dice, the spell replaces a dice roll to replace which 1 gold gives you and says you may choose the result, theres no wording on the spell or the temple (from my memory) that says the higher tiers are only unlocked with more gold.

The reason i think this is a character could roll one dice and increase the result using other powers (such as the knights bonus to praying)to get a result beyond 6 so saying that the spell would only grant the 1-6 section doesnt really have any reason to exist.

From a balance point of view cards that controll dice rolls or boost them arent very rare (i belive theres one spell that adds 6 to a roll) and they can be used for anything, a spell that only affects praying would seem to be better in this situation then any other spell should be right?

#4 Artaterxes

Artaterxes

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:33 PM

Zero, I don't think that's quite right. Abilities that add +X to prayer scores require that the prayer score be established prior to adding the bonus. For example, normally you roll the dice, then add +X to the result.

If an effect (e.g. Reverence) causes you to choose your prayer score rather than roll, then simply extend the logic used to apply prayer bonuses normally: derive prayer score (if not by roll, then by choice), then add bonus. (So if you chose a prayer result of 4, then the Priest could turn it into a 5. The effects become redundant because the Priest could simply have chosen 5 to begin with).

As a separate issue, Reverence states, "instead of rolling." This implies, "instead of rolling the dice you normally would roll." Therefore, I think if you paid 1 gold at the High Temple, you would normally roll 1 die, so Reverence would allow you to choose between 1-6. This would allow the Reverence and prayer bonuses to actually be useful together. For example, the Priest pays 1 gold at the High Temple, then casts Reverence, chooses a result of 6, then adds +1 to obtain a result of 7. Casting Reverence at the High Temple essentially allows you to pay 1 gold to get a result of 6 (+ prayer bonus) or 2 gold to get a result of 12 (+ prayer bonus), essentially a "prayer discount."

That's my interpretation.

Edited by Artaterxes, 18 February 2014 - 08:33 PM.

#5 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:56 AM

Probably Reverence works just like a Lucky Charm, but only on prayer rolls.

Depending on how many dice you roll, you get to "choose which (die) result to use". You don't choose the result from the table.

Until High Temple was issued there was no difference between picking the dice result or picking the table result.

Probably this one needs a FAQ and it should be taken into consideration when designing future "praying" effects.

#6 GrimGuvna

GrimGuvna

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:38 AM

Reverence allows you to choose the Prayer result based on what dice you are rolling.

The High Temple allows you to choose how many Dice you want to roll based on the donation you make.

If you pay to roll 2 dice and cast reverence you can choose any result possible on the table that can be generated from those 2 dice. 

Note that the prayer bonuses from say the Preist and Knight wouldnt count here as they only apply when you are rolling the dice.  In this scenario you are not rolling the dice but "choosing" a result.

• talismanisland and Hunter Smith like this

#7 ZeroGrim

ZeroGrim

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:14 AM

Okay maybe i need an example for my point.

You pay 1 gold at the temple and roll a single dice while playing a knight, you roll a 6 but becuase your the knight you can add two to the score bringing it to a 8, according to your rulings then he shouldbnt be allowed to do this because he only payed one gold, ontop of that what if you played the spell that adds 6 to a roll, you could get a 12/14 with one gold payed, i think having a spell that adds in theory any number while praying isnt that op.

if we say you can only get the 1-6 results using this spell with 1 gold then surelly no character or ability should let you bypass that, otherwise whats the jusitifcation to say one ability deserves to go past 6 and others dont?

id agree if the spell said anything like "choose what number your dice roll instead of rolling" but it doesnt.

I too agree with warlock there needs to be a clear FAQ answer for this and many other obscure situations.

• DomaGB likes this

#8 JediKnightAmoeba

JediKnightAmoeba

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:04 AM

This is a tough one, but I would be in the camp of choosing whatever result as long as you were paying 3 gold. If paying 1 gold you could choose up to 6; 2 gold, up to 12 and 3 gold up to 18. But again, I agree we could use an updated FAQ here.

It is amazing how many spell cards we never see in our games. There are quite a few single spell cards in the large deck and a lot never see the light of day. I think we need an additional spell deck to beef it up....lol

#9 Artaterxes

Artaterxes

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:27 PM

if we say you can only get the 1-6 results using this spell with 1 gold then surelly no character or ability should let you bypass that, otherwise whats the jusitifcation to say one ability deserves to go past 6 and others dont?

That's why priests are priests and knights are knights and monks are monks! They're good at praying! I don't get a solid result every time I pray! (OK please don't start a debate here I'm just trying to be funny. :P)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS