Average Corruption Gain?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 3,023 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:41 PM

I'm currently working on something and would really like to know what the average "gain" of Corruption Points is in the different groups over the scope of a prolonged campaign (say, Ranks 1-8, or right into Ascension). How quickly did the characters in your party accumulate Corruption, and at what score of CP did they end up?

Thanks in advance for any input! :)

current 40k RPG character: Aura Vashaan, Astromancer Witch-Priestess
previous characters: Captain Elias (Celestial Lions Chapter -- debriefed), Comrade-Trooper Dasha Malenko (1207th Valhallan Ice Warriors -- KIA), Sister Elana (Order of the Sacred Rose -- assassinated), Leftenant Darion Baylesworth (Rogue Trader Artemisia -- retired), Taleera "Raven" Nephran (Hive Ganger & Inquisitorial Assassin -- mindwiped)

#2 Askil

Askil

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:55 AM

My group has been running for 15+ sessions and our characters range from 0-20 corruption.

That said it probably should be higher, one of my fellows and I wrote all the plot and we at least initially (and probably still) don't really do the system true justice, I just write rollercoaster adventures that keep my players amused that seems to have done the trick so far.

Also during the campaign I allowed my players to buy off insanity and corruption at a rate of 2:1 over time one way or the other (but not both, you either become more deranged and less twisted or saner and more tainted) and recently they have had a peroid of three years in downtime spent recovering.

• Lynata likes this

#3 Lexdamus

Lexdamus

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:46 AM

The campaign i have GMed for over last year has 0-30 corruption but they have been careful to avoid it at every point. It is entirely down to what your characters do. 

• Lynata likes this

#4 cps

cps

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:54 AM

In my current game a player started, RAW, with 25 Insanity.

Insanity and Corruption are things that are more up to player actions than anything else. If I feel like they should have more I'll throw in Fear-causing bad guys for insanity or have a bad guy cast Warp Corruption.  We enjoy the random tables so having character start losing it and sprouting limbs is part of the fun, but I'm not sure we've ever gotten over 40 in either, with one exception.

In the last game we played with me as a player I ended with ~80 corruption due to 2 daemon pacts (both of which I reneged on, to their great chagrin), ritual sacrifices, and bare-handedly handling warp artifacts.  I ended up transferring my consciousness into the body of the BBEG, casting her out as a pissed off warp entity. I was ultimately blasted by my own petard after rolling a natural 100 on the perils table with no fate left.

• Lynata likes this

#5 khimaera

khimaera

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:28 AM

My first 60+ session campaign ended with most of my players having ~ 10-15 corruption.  I think our psyker finished with 25+.  My players were lucky enough to have limited exposure to Daemons, which probably had something to do with it.

• Lynata likes this

#6 Brother Orpheo

Brother Orpheo

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:18 PM

Over a prolonged period of time (campaign arcs of twelve to fifteen 6-hour sessions) I've had PCs reach 30-40 CP. I don't use many Daemonic creatures. I do, however, throw in CP for poor moral choices, choices that can be damning even if not connected to Daemons/the Warp, usually one or two points.

Had a Guardsman with an imaginary friend. Named the guy and everything. Once, when asked if their way back was secure, he answered by saying "Zeke's got it covered." It wasn't until much later the other PCs realized there was never any Zeke.

Edited by Brother Orpheo, 11 November 2013 - 06:21 PM.

• Lynata likes this

=][=

#7 Simsum

Simsum

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:33 PM

If we played with RAW CP/IP, my players would be dead or drooling in under 10 sessions, I'm fairly sure. So.. I hand them out based on the solid mechanical foundation of "when I feel it's appropriate", and we usually discuss more elaborate consequences by email before introducing them at the table. For the sake of roleplaying and suspense, I'd suggest that's probably the best way to go about it.

I also let my players get rid of both, if they can come up with a compelling story explaining how. This too is handled by email usually, and tends to involve long in-fiction periods of downtime. 

Over a prolonged period of time (campaign arcs of twelve to fifteen 6-hour sessions) I've had PCs reach 30-40 CP. I don't use many Daemonic creatures. I do, however, throw in CP for poor moral choices, choices that can be damning even if not connected to Daemons/the Warp, usually one or two points.

Had a Guardsman with an imaginary friend. Named the guy and everything. Once, when asked if their way back was secure, he answered by saying "Zeke's got it covered." It wasn't until much later the other PCs realized there was never any Zeke.

That's funny, one of my players did exactly the same, tough his invisible friend was called Zack in homage to a video game (I forget which). He managed to come up with the idea and run it by me in 2 mins alone during a break, so between us we managed to keep the nature of Zack undiscovered for.. 2 sessions, I think.

• Lynata likes this

#8 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 3,023 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:06 PM

So, it seems like 20-30 Corruption over prolonged gameplay is the average? That's quite close to what I was hoping for.

Thank you all! You've been quite helpful. :)

previous characters: Captain Elias (Celestial Lions Chapter -- debriefed), Comrade-Trooper Dasha Malenko (1207th Valhallan Ice Warriors -- KIA), Sister Elana (Order of the Sacred Rose -- assassinated), Leftenant Darion Baylesworth (Rogue Trader Artemisia -- retired), Taleera "Raven" Nephran (Hive Ganger & Inquisitorial Assassin -- mindwiped)

#9 Lexdamus

Lexdamus

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:35 AM

So, it seems like 20-30 Corruption over prolonged gameplay is the average? That's quite close to what I was hoping for.

Thank you all! You've been quite helpful. :)

With that drastically scaling up if your players intentionally start dabbling with heresy and forbidden lores/occult or alien artifacts.

• Lynata likes this

#10 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:07 AM

Yea average for a few of my groups were about 20-30 corruption and 20-40 insanity without a Psyker or with one that moderately used his powers. With a Psyker that popped it like candy or someone babbling in sorcery, 40-70 corruption and 40-60 insanity. This is over the course of a year, with about 2-3 sessions a month averaging 5-8 hrs of gameplay. Average rank at end of year was high 7 and mid 8. Everyone had the option to reduce corruption and insanity by spending xp, in which most took it. So numbers could be about +15/20 or so.
  • Lynata likes this

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

#11 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 3,023 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:43 AM

Sounds perfect and fits to what I had in mind. :) Thanks for your input!

Also, thanks for the Insanity count; this projection may prove useful as well as I just had another idea on how the two may interact. I recall some DH supplement already offered a rule somewhere that allowed trading one for the other, but I think I may try to refine this a bit.

Edited by Lynata, 20 November 2013 - 10:45 AM.

#12 Traejun

Traejun

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:15 PM

Rarely ever more than 1d5.  To be more than that, a player would have to do or say something than "welcomes" corruption - like being a sociopath.

#13 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:38 AM

If you got corruption for being a sociopath, the Enforcers would have an easy job finding all those criminals by looking for their tell-tale extra heads

• Lynata, Kshatriya and ColArana like this

#14 Traejun

Traejun

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:47 AM

If you got corruption for being a sociopath, the Enforcers would have an easy job finding all those criminals by looking for their tell-tale extra heads

lol nah.  There's a wide margin between sociopath and simply violent.  Most PC's tend to lean towards violence - but few really rise to the level of being true sociopaths.

#15 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:19 PM

Simply being a sociopath will not make you mutate. You would have lots of mutated crime bosses and noblemen and clerics and so forth.

• Kshatriya likes this

#16 Traejun

Traejun

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:21 PM

Simply being a sociopath will not make you mutate. You would have lots of mutated crime bosses and noblemen and clerics and so forth.

I don't think you quite understand what a true sociopath is.

Edit:

For example, in a recent campaign, the cell was attacked by some mercenaries while sleeping at a contact's home in the upper hive on Scintilla.  My character is starting to become slightly unhinged by some of the things we have seen and done.  I blagged two of the mercs with a point-blank shotgun blast, sending blood flying everywhere.  I RP said I don't try to dodge the splattering blood, I just stood and "bathed" in it.  

The GM made me roll a WP test or gain corruption.  I thought that was perfectly acceptable.

Edited by Traejun, 24 November 2013 - 01:05 PM.

#17 lord inquisitor Iannise

lord inquisitor Iannise

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:17 PM

Edit:

For example, in a recent campaign, the cell was attacked by some mercenaries while sleeping at a contact's home in the upper hive on Scintilla.  My character is starting to become slightly unhinged by some of the things we have seen and done.  I blagged two of the mercs with a point-blank shotgun blast, sending blood flying everywhere.  I RP said I don't try to dodge the splattering blood, I just stood and "bathed" in it.  

The GM made me roll a WP test or gain corruption.  I thought that was perfectly acceptable.

hope this helps 

#18 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:35 PM

Edit:

hope this helps 

Yeah.

Quite a lot of people.

Mainly it refers to inability to feel empathy.

I have no idea why not dodging blood would give you corruption. In violent subcultures, that's just being macho. Davy Crocket ate a man's freaking liver.  I would be pissed off if my GM did something like this.

Edited by bogi_khaosa, 04 December 2013 - 07:39 PM.

• Kshatriya likes this

#19 Traejun

Traejun

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:01 PM

But in 40K, the term "corruption" means so much more than just being a game mechanic.

In my mind, purposely not trying to dodge splats of blood from people you just mutilated carries with it a component of what "corruption" means in this game universe.

If you don't see that, I'm not sure what to tell you.

#20 Askil

Askil

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:58 AM

But in 40K, the term "corruption" means so much more than just being a game mechanic.

In my mind, purposely not trying to dodge splats of blood from people you just mutilated carries with it a component of what "corruption" means in this game universe.

If you don't see that, I'm not sure what to tell you.

I do if you don`t see why bathing in blood of murdered people is messed up and evil then maybe the police should take a look at the strange correlation between how often you bathe and the rise in missing people near your house.

Guys I think we just found our sociopath.

Also lack of empathy is just one of many symptoms of sociopathy others include a diminshed sense of danger, increased propensity for social disorders and trouble forming lasting relationships. 

Edited by Askil, 03 January 2014 - 03:02 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS