Rumors of a new DW title?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:51 AM

There should be new deeds for the additional chapters added after Rites of Battle, I enjoyed those in particular. And additional squad/solo mode abilites for FF and HTC chapters wouldn't hurt, though I could see First Founding ones getting attention first. 

Yeah I was very disappointed in FF on that front. The "unincluded" Legions should have ended up with the same number of modes, psychic powers, etc than the ones that got featured in the Core AND in FF. Instead they got quite shafted and surprise surprise the Fists got even more redundant.

Edited by Kshatriya, 08 February 2014 - 10:52 AM.

#22 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:49 PM

...Maybe another bestiary (with the new 'Nids in it)?

Yes please! 'Monster books' are an area where the WH40KRP lines really lag behind other games. If all of the redundancies were eliminated, I doubt that every WH40KRP creature book combined would fill a single D&D/Pathfinder Monster Manual. I would especially like to see more original, setting-specific critters like the Slaught and Rak'Gol.

• pearldrum1 likes this

#23 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:35 PM

I think part of it is purchasers often complain when enemies from one game line (i.e. DH's Slaugth, RT's Rak'Gol) are flat-out reprinted in the book for another line (DW). Makes the publisher look lazy or greedy.

#24 pearldrum1

pearldrum1

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:08 AM

I think part of it is purchasers often complain when enemies from one game line (i.e. DH's Slaugth, RT's Rak'Gol) are flat-out reprinted in the book for another line (DW). Makes the publisher look lazy or greedy.

Yes. Yes. and Yes.

#25 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:32 PM

I'm not asking for existing stuff to be reprinted, I'm asking for new setting-specific stuff, the way Slaught and Rak'Gol were original to their settings.

#26 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:56 PM

I'd like to see stats for other Tau allied races. I've made some up myself, just interested in the official line.

I'm tired of new Tyranids. I'd like to see some legit Eldar. But I have Children of Isha so I'm not going to complain much. Really DW has the vast majority of the big enemy races covered already, especially with The Outer Reach and enemies at the end of Ark of Lost Souls.

#27 Lord Master Igneus

Lord Master Igneus

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:38 PM

There are a few more chapters that deserve attention, the ones I think of are the Marines Malevolent (for those people who want to play as a complete ****!), the Iron Snakes, and Mortifactors. The last of which were in ROB but I really don't see the Ultramarines creation rules fitting them at all, they are far too distinct! Also the Minotaurs should be expanded upon as they are a unique chapter and the codex chapter abilities and advances don't fit with their character too well.

#28 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:30 PM

That's it! You have a good point there. I recently complained about PCs not having enough mystery about themselves to explore compared to Acolytes or Explorers. But when PCs hail from rarer chapters instead of Ultramarines, etc. ... that might create some more interesting roleplaying, as you can discover the glory/sins of the other's chapters.

Alex

My 40K Blog (essentially a Best Of FFG Forums):

http://www.40kroleplay.weebly.com

House Rules, Rule Clarifications, Game Aids, New Creatures, consolidated official Deathwatch Squad Mode rules, 40K Tabletop to 40K Roleplay comversions, etc.

#29 The Russian

The Russian

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:22 PM

At this point, I'd just want to see *anything* on the DW line.

Like a lot of people I'd like to see the rest of the first founding Chapters filled out like the Chapters in the Core books have been. Perhaps stuff that could was from the 6e TT would work well. Grav weapons, vehicles, and gears would all be nice to have from official channels.

#30 musungu

musungu

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:35 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't mind a fully fleshed-out Fists Chapter either. Did anyone try writing up some homebrew for them?

#31 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:46 AM

Like a lot of people I'd like to see the rest of the first founding Chapters filled out like the Chapters in the Core books have been. Perhaps stuff that could was from the 6e TT would work well. Grav weapons, vehicles, and gears would all be nice to have from official channels.

Hey, The Russian. It's been a while, how do you do?

Ah, none of that is essential in my mind. What is more important would be new alien worlds with new alien races to discover. Yes, I know it's a niche that RT already fills. But still. I see the task of the Deathwatch here not only in subjugation but also in intelligence-gathering. And this is something that GMs have to invest lots of time in to homebrew. Converting creatures or gear is easy.

Alex

• Adeptus-B and pearldrum1 like this

House Rules, Rule Clarifications, Game Aids, New Creatures, consolidated official Deathwatch Squad Mode rules, 40K Tabletop to 40K Roleplay comversions, etc.

#32 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:53 AM

Ah, none of that is essential in my mind. What is more important would be new alien worlds with new alien races to discover. Yes, I know it's a niche that RT already fills. But still. I see the task of the Deathwatch here not only in subjugation but also in intelligence-gathering. And this is something that GMs have to invest lots of time in to homebrew. Converting creatures or gear is easy.

+1.

#33 The Russian

The Russian

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:40 PM

Hey, The Russian. It's been a while, how do you do?

Alex

It has been a while, hasn't it? I've been alright. Yourself?

And that is a valid point, and gear and such isn't hard to create, advanced specialties and oaths are a bit more difficult, however. Not that anything glaring stands out in my mind for the other Chapters, but a few might be nice to have.

New adventures would be good to have, reconnaisance and all of new threats. But that could also be created non-officially. But that requires more effort to create a more cohesive naratives and/or concepts for that material. I think, personally, that it will be on the shoulders of the community to further create for the Deathwatch line, since things have been quiet since the last book.

#34 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:01 PM

Ah, either FFG wants to keep the Deathwatch IP or there will be a different game company interested. Role-playing as Space Marines will live on and the most diverse way to host that is as Deathwatch kill-team. The worst are IPs that are basically... dormant. I have quite a few good ideas for missions right now but no time to flesh them out. So, yeah, I am doing fine but being kinda busy. :)

Alex

#35 The Russian

The Russian

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:31 PM

Yeah, if they just sit on it for too terribly long I think GW may give another company something to do with the IP. And I agree, playing a space marine will survive in this system or another one, and the Deathwatch is really good at accomodating player choice as well as giving interesting roleplaying opportunities. After all, a squad of any space marines from the same Chapter will get kind of boring. Whether in their Chapter or the Deathwatch.

As for adventures there are lots of opportunities. Like you said, many need to be fleshed out, but eventually they can be shared. I think at this point it will bring back what almost feels like a dead community, though it is still alive but it has gotten smaller.

#36 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:43 PM

More adventures are always a good thing, but I would add one caveat: the primary purpose of published adventures is to save prep time for the GM, yet many (-most? -all?) existing WH40KRP adventure books really skimp on the details, focusing on the broad plot and leaving it up to each GM to fill in the (many, many) blanks. Even such rudimentary elements as tactical maps for the principle encounters are few and far between. So, yes, I want more adventures, preferably ones that focus on saving GM prep time. Coming up a 'plot hook' is the easy part- I would like to have most of the 'i's dotted and 't's crossed so that I can run a published adventure shortly after reading it...

• ranoncles, Kshatriya, Brother Orpheo and 2 others like this

#37 pearldrum1

pearldrum1

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

More adventures are always a good thing, but I would add one caveat: the primary purpose of published adventures is to save prep time for the GM, yet many (-most? -all?) existing WH40KRP adventure books really skimp on the details, focusing on the broad plot and leaving it up to each GM to fill in the (many, many) blanks. Even such rudimentary elements as tactical maps for the principle encounters are few and far between. So, yes, I want more adventures, preferably ones that focus on saving GM prep time. Coming up a 'plot hook' is the easy part- I would like to have most of the 'i's dotted and 't's crossed so that I can run a published adventure shortly after reading it...

Hell yes. THIS.

• SonofDorn and Kshatriya like this

#38 Lord Master Igneus

Lord Master Igneus

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:34 PM

More adventures would be nice, they'd be nicer if they had actual grid maps too.

Also Iron Snakes, and a few more Imperial Fist successors, they deserve some more attention.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS