Forced to move into the street question

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Cutievalkyrie

Cutievalkyrie

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:42 PM

In encounter phase...if i was forced to move to another location or street, can i pick up the clue in there or do i have to wait until the next move phase?

#2 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:54 PM

I've always been playing that the moment you move into a Location, street or otherwise, that has a clue token, you get it.

#3 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:51 AM

Cutievalkyrie/Dr. Faust,

According to the rules, you may take a Clue token at the end of the Movement Phase or at the Mythos Phase.  However, a number of us have played by a very useful Variant which allows taking a Clue token any time its offered on the board.  Julia or Tibs will be along any moment to give you the textbook answer...they're very good folks!

Cheers,

Joe

• Julia likes this

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#4 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 5,623 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:27 AM

Julia or Tibs will be along any moment to give you the textbook answer...they're very good folks!

:) Here we go :) FAQ, pag. 4, bottom of the first column:

Q: When does an investigator pick up Clue tokens on the board?
A: Investigators pick up Clue tokens in only two cases:
1. During the Movement Phase, if an investigator ends his movement in an Arkham location or street area containing Clue tokens, he picks them up after evading or combating any monsters in the same location or area. Investigators cannot pick up Clue tokens from a location or street area and then continue moving.
2. During the Mythos Phase, when a Clue token is placed in the same location as one or more investigators, one of them may immediately pick it up. If they cannot agree who gets the Clue token, the first player decides.

Note that investigators do not pick up any Clue tokens when they are sent to a location with a Clue token during the Upkeep Phase, the Arkham Encounters Phase, or the Other World Encounters Phase.

Nonetheless, I play this a little differently, but it's a houserule. I go with a "when an encounter instructs you to move to another location with a clue token, you may pick it up", BUT I play also that when you're instructed from an encounter to move to another location and there is a monster at that location, you have to deal with the monster as well (before picking up the clue, obviously). So, two houserules that should balance somehow and consider encounters moving you like a sort of subphase made of movement+encounter.

This point (picking up clues yes or no, fighting monsters yes or no) has been debated to death during the years, with the designer changing mind a couple of times about it, so I feel ok while using these two houserules. Nonetheless, it's very important to notice that for no reason (whether you follow the core rules or the suggested houserules) that you don't pick up clues during Upkeep (i.e. returning from LiTaS).

• The Professor likes this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#5 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:44 AM

Am I the only one that plays this by-the-FAQ? :lol:

Interesting question: what about the placement of the Hypnos clue? I've only recently started using him regularly as Guardian, and I play that the clue is given to the investigator, if on the same location, just like the clue appearing during the Mythos Phase. How do you folks play this?

• The Professor and Lee418 like this

#6 Musha Shukou

Musha Shukou

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:26 AM

Well, Hypnos spawns clues during the upkeep phase and the FAQ says that you do not pick up clues during the upkeep, so, technically, I guess you shouldn't pick them up when they appear on you. However, personally I do play it as it is done in the mythos phase. If Hypnos spawns a clue on a player, I allow them to pick it up.

Edited by Musha Shukou, 10 November 2013 - 05:26 AM.

• Julia likes this

#7 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:35 AM

Well, Hypnos spawns clues during the upkeep phase and the FAQ says that you do not pick up clues during the upkeep, so, technically, I guess you shouldn't pick them up when they appear on you. However, personally I do play it as it is done in the mythos phase. If Hypnos spawns a clue on a player, I allow them to pick it up.

You're right, it appears during Upkeep. I hadn't thought about that :P

#8 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:17 AM

Am I the only one that plays this by-the-FAQ? :lol:

I do. If I want those clue tokens they have to payed for in full during the next movement phase. No exceptions. :D  I know it seems a bit daft because clues can be automatically picked up during Mythos like "pennies from heaven." But the rules are the rules as far as I'm concerned.  

• Tox likes this

#9 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:39 AM

Glad someone else is making their games harder :lol:

• Lee418 likes this

#10 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:20 PM

Tox,

I greatly appreciate your "making the games harder" comment, but I permit my Investigators to receive Hypnos-provided Clue tokens during the Upkeep PhaseRationale: I play with all expansions (you can read my Variant over on bgg), and time, as you know, is of the essence, so I cannot afford to have an Investigator dilly-dally at a location simply to pick-up one Clue token...believe me, with an all-expansion game, it's plenty hard. 

Having just completed 24 separate games, using each AO once and each Investigator twice, I ended with a 75% win rate ~ and I suspect there's a direct correlation between the win-rate and the Variant.  For the sake of analysis, I do want to play several games back-to-back with no Variant and see how quickly I get slaughtered.  My hypothesis ~ with an "all-in" game, I will not have a win-rate above 0%.  We'll see.

Cheers,

Joe

Edited by The Professor, 10 November 2013 - 12:22 PM.

The Professor

#11 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,623 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:01 PM

C'mon Joe, you can do better than 0%!

I bet at least a 2% is totally possible :P :P :P

(sorry, couldn't resist...)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#12 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:27 PM

Ha!!! :lol:

Okay, I'll give you 2%!

I would expect nothing less, my friend.

Cheers,

Joe

The Professor

#13 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:49 PM

Glad someone else is making their games harder :lol:

It's the first rule I got wrong when I was learning to play. So it's got added nostaligia value for me. :lol:

#14 Schwaig

Schwaig

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:13 AM

C'mon Joe, you can do better than 0%!

I bet at least a 2% is totally possible :P :P :P

Nice, that would be something like half a game won out of 24…

Didn't know there was something like a tie in AH :D

#15 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,623 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:36 AM

Yes. Sometimes the game is about to win, but suddently it suggests a draw to avoid ending up in the nearest furnace... :P

#16 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:46 PM

It's end of movement or during Mythos phase for me. That's it.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS