Combining each players movement and encounter phase

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cutievalkyrie

Cutievalkyrie

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:21 AM

Heartly, I dont really like the original phase chart since it makes new players get confused and bored sometimes.

After the upkeep phase, why cant we just combine the movement, battle, ak encounter and other world encounter phase together for each player? It greatly boots the atmosphere and saves a lot of time...(everyone finishes his own actions in one phase then we get a miso phase and a new round! )

I posted our game sessions on other forums and its really easy to explain to the others what each player does in his turn too, for example,

1. Everyone Upkeep

2. Bob goes to black cave, he encounters a monster, kills it.

3. Miso

Or we can even separate upkeep phase into each players individual turn, no harms done at all. 

Edited by Cutievalkyrie, 09 November 2013 - 11:28 AM.

#2 Musha Shukou

Musha Shukou

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:49 PM

Personally, I would never play this way,but if your players prefer it this way, if that's what it takes to keep them playing, I say go for it. However, here are the problems I can see happening. Each player is supposed to determine where he is going and commit to that before he has an encounter. A single encounter card can alter the game board in a way that will change the decisions made by the other players. What happens if on Player 1's turn he moves to a location and has an encounter there that opens a gate and releases a monster? What if Player 2 was going to go to that same location on his turn, but now, since there is a gate and a monster there, he will not? Player 1 and Player 2 should have both been sucked through that gate with Player 1's encounter, but now Player 2 is free to go elsewhere and use his time more efficiently.

Conversely, what if Player 1's encounter caused a clue token to be removed from the location where Player 2 wanted to go during his turn? Now, Player 2 won't get that clue token even though he should have. Playing this way can cause additional detriments or benefits to the players that shouldn't exist in the game.

• Tox likes this

#3 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:39 AM

Heartly, I dont really like the original phase chart since it makes new players get confused and bored sometimes.

After the upkeep phase, why cant we just combine the movement, battle, ak encounter and other world encounter phase together for each player? It greatly boots the atmosphere and saves a lot of time...(everyone finishes his own actions in one phase then we get a miso phase and a new round! )

I posted our game sessions on other forums and its really easy to explain to the others what each player does in his turn too, for example,

1. Everyone Upkeep

2. Bob goes to black cave, he encounters a monster, kills it.

3. Miso

Or we can even separate upkeep phase into each players individual turn, no harms done at all. 

You will have a lot of rules conflicting with each other and you won't be able to do certain things, but it's not the first time someone has house ruled this to play like this. If you don't go mad from the rules shifting, go for it, but be careful! When you dabble with the time continuum, the Hounds take notice of you... ;)

Edited by Tox, 10 November 2013 - 04:39 AM.

• The Professor likes this

#4 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:11 PM

I asked this same question when I first joined, and yeah, in your mind it makes sense. But, it does more than just keeps everything from becoming a higglety-pigglety of a mess. It gives you timing, like the others have said. Sometimes, the single timing of a spell and when it can be cast makes all the difference in the world.

#5 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,446 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:35 AM

Yes. As all the friends here said, even though it could seem that you streamline the game by having a single investigator making the whole turn at once, actually you boost the difficulty of the game a lot because you totally limit countless interactions (from passing an ES to a pal squatting clueless on a gate to give another buddy some money to spend at the Curiosity Shoppe), delaying in time several actions.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#6 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:44 AM

Cutievalkyrie,

Just adding to the chorus of Arkhamites who share the passion for this game..."follow the Phases" is our mantra...Live it, Learn it, Love it! :lol:

Cheers,

Joe

Edited by The Professor, 11 November 2013 - 10:46 AM.

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#7 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:11 PM

I think, when it comes to explaining it to new players, it's just a matter of buckling down and saying, "Okay guys, here it is. Yeah, I know it seems silly to change the person that goes first every turn, but trust me, when the first player privelages are yours, you'll be glad that you got it passed to you--and when the burdens of being First player are anothers, then you'll be doubly glad!"

• The Professor likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS