Matt Ward steps down as GW codex writer

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Boss Gitsmasha

Boss Gitsmasha

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:10 AM

So, if certain sources are to be believed, Our Spiritual Liege apparently isn't writing codices for 40k anymore. What do you all think of this?

"Oomans are pink an' soft, not tough an' green like da Boyz. Dey'z all da same size too, so dey'z always arguin' about who's in charge, 'cos dere's no way o' tellin' c'ept fer badges an' ooniforms an' fings. When one o' dem wants ta lord it over da uvvers, 'e says 'I'm very speshul so'z you gotta worship me', or 'I know summink wot you lot don't know, so yer better lissen good'. Da funny fing is, 'arf of 'em believe it an' da uvver 'arf don't, so 'e has ta hit 'em all anyway or run fer it. Wot a lot o' mukkin' about if yer asks me. An' while dey'z all arguin' wiv each uvver over who's da boss, da Orks can clobber da lot."

#2 BlaxicanX

BlaxicanX

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:58 AM

Source?

In any case, idk. Ward wrote ridiculous fluff, but I don't have any serious problems with him. 

So we're stuck with Kelly, Cruddace and Vetok. Hm. To be honest, after 6E CSM fluff/crunch and 6E Eldar fluff, I would be willing to trade Kelly for Ward. lol

#3 Amaimon

Amaimon

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:44 AM

Fools! He isn't stepping down. He's just Ascending take his rightfull place at the Emprah side.

Or he's writing rulebook to WFB 9th ed... Emprah have mercy on our souls.

#4 Green Knight

Green Knight

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:25 AM

I think you powers of reference are weak indeed.

#5 cps

cps

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:48 AM

Who is Matt Ward and why do people love and/or hate him?

• Green Knight likes this

#6 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:58 AM

Who is Matt Ward and why do people love and/or hate him?

He's a GW writer responsible for some of the more controversial alterations to 40K canon, like changing Necrons from the silent killers they were depicted as in previous editions to mustache-twirling Snydely Whiplash-style cartoon villains of the most recent Codex.

If this rumor is true, I certainly won't miss him.

#7 cps

cps

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:30 AM

Thanks for the hilarious mental image of a terrifying necron warrior with an elaborate handlebar mustache.

#8 Boss Gitsmasha

Boss Gitsmasha

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:47 PM

DakkaDakka and /tg/ were the primary sources. I'd try DakkaDakka first, since /tg/ is… well… /tg/.

"Oomans are pink an' soft, not tough an' green like da Boyz. Dey'z all da same size too, so dey'z always arguin' about who's in charge, 'cos dere's no way o' tellin' c'ept fer badges an' ooniforms an' fings. When one o' dem wants ta lord it over da uvvers, 'e says 'I'm very speshul so'z you gotta worship me', or 'I know summink wot you lot don't know, so yer better lissen good'. Da funny fing is, 'arf of 'em believe it an' da uvver 'arf don't, so 'e has ta hit 'em all anyway or run fer it. Wot a lot o' mukkin' about if yer asks me. An' while dey'z all arguin' wiv each uvver over who's da boss, da Orks can clobber da lot."

#9 Lexdamus

Lexdamus

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:26 AM

If this is true i am glad. Now to get some of the rest booted and replaced with better writers.

#10 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:41 PM

If this is true, nobody could be happier than me. However, if it means that The Cruddmeister is taking over, I'm not sure it's much of an improvement.

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#11 dirge93

dirge93

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:48 PM

Matt Ward was the guy who:

*) Created a kind of mech armor, that had to be piloted by an exposed Terminator, because Marines wouldn't add another layer of protection over their most experienced soldiers in their most prized armors.

*) Had Space Marines and Necrons fight each other only to team up against Tyranids, and then the two allied forces leave each other alone after the battle is over.  (Because both apparently are willing to give the other side a break?)

*)  Has Space Marines kill Sisters of Battle to use their blood to make purity seals.  And everybody is cool with this.

Or to sum it all up...  try this.

#12 MKX

MKX

• Members
  • 852 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:16 PM

So, if certain sources are to be believed, Our Spiritual Liege apparently isn't writing codices for 40k anymore. What do you all think of this?

Don't actually play 40k TT, write my own game adventures so the impact is pretty much nil.

I do drag it up for fun to antagonise my players that still play TT... the rage and tears are awesome :)

#13 CaptainStabby

CaptainStabby

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:06 PM

Damn, I was totally looking forward to my Blood Angels being able to ride giant  bats in the new codex...

• Cobra Commander, Green Knight, Fgdsfg and 2 others like this

#14 The Laughing God

The Laughing God

• Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:56 PM

To be honest, after 6E CSM fluff/crunch and 6E Eldar fluff, I would be willing to trade Kelly for Ward. lol

what about 6E Eldar fluff? what does it say?

Show me ... everything!

#15 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:15 PM

I don't really know what to think of it. On one hand the Newcrons were a vast improvement over the oldcrons but the Grey Knight blood rites were pretty much a mistake as far as I am concerned. 

#16 susanbrindle

susanbrindle

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:05 PM

Yeah newcrons are great, one of Matt's better days. The rest of his stuff (particularly those poor, poor sisters) is awful though. 

#17 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:44 PM

I just want to chime in on the topic there and say that I think Newcrons, AKA "Tomb Kings in Spess", is the worst thing since the reversible lederhosen.

As far as I'm concerned, Matt Ward hasn't written a single line of fluff - or as I prefer to think of it, Ultramarines fan-fiction - that isn't implicitly or explicitly terrible.

Edited by Fgdsfg, 20 November 2013 - 04:45 PM.

Real men earn their fun

Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.

#18 cps

cps

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:10 PM

I just want to chime in on the topic there and say that I think Newcrons, AKA "Tomb Kings in Spess", is the worst thing since the reversible lederhosen.

As far as I'm concerned, Matt Ward hasn't written a single line of fluff - or as I prefer to think of it, Ultramarines fan-fiction - that isn't implicitly or explicitly terrible.

I just want to chime in and say that your white-hot hatred of anything written by Matt Ward just tickles me pink. Shine on.

#19 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:14 PM

I just want to chime in and say that your white-hot hatred of anything written by Matt Ward just tickles me pink. Shine on.

Constructive.

• Nameless2all likes this

Real men earn their fun

#20 cps

cps

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:35 PM

Constructive.

Letting the people in your community know how much you appreciate them is a constructive thing to do. That's why we have the Like This button on every post. 

• Nameless2all and Green Knight like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS