Abuse of target lock in measuring range

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:34 AM

I think backing up your opinions with snark, dismissal, sarcasm, etc, is being a jerk, sure, regardless of the facts.  You could be right and still be a jerk.  Nonetheless, the TO has a wide range of discretion in deciding if a behavior, legal or not, is unsporting, and I think most people agree this falls under that heading.

#42 Hida77

Hida77

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:45 AM

I think backing up your opinions with snark, dismissal, sarcasm, etc, is being a jerk, sure, regardless of the facts.  You could be right and still be a jerk.  Nonetheless, the TO has a wide range of discretion in deciding if a behavior, legal or not, is unsporting, and I think most people agree this falls under that heading.

Again, I fail to see how following the rules is unsporting.  The only thing unsporting about them that I can see is that you, and apparently many others, do not like the outcome. The mob mentality is always right, clearly.

TOs who interpret the rules the way they want them are house-ruling pure and simple.  That's inexcusable as far as I am concerned.

The base rules let you measure all willy-nilly before you even say you are target locking.  I'm not sure how measuring to one ship under the FAQ interpretation is at all unsporting given that.

2014 Star Wars: The Card Game US Nationals Finalist

2013 Star Wars: The Card Game Worlds Top 16

8xX-wing, 5xB-Wing, 2xYT-1300, 4xY-Wing, 5xA-Wing, 2xHWK-290, 3xE-Wing, 7xZ-95, 1xYT-2400, 2xGR-75, 1xCR-90

8xTIE/LN, 11xTIE/IN, 2xTIE/Adv, 4xTIE/as, 3xTIE/Ph, 3xTIE/D, 3xFirespray-31, 3xLambda, 1xDecimator

#43 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:50 AM

If both sides are fine measuring range to whatever, whenever, as the base rules say and then later contradict, there's no problem.  If it's in a tournament setting, however, any such rulings are up to the TO - you can call it opinion, house-ruling, whatever you want, but their rulings are final.  And the tournament rules specifically state that there are any manner of loopholes that may emerge which they didn't anticipate - someone finding some infinite loop of abilities, for example - which may fall within the letter of the rules and yet still be judged unsporting.

And in every case that judgment falls to the TO.  And it seems like you're in the minority here thinking that isn't a pretty blatant attempt to circumvent the intent of the competitive rules for checking range.  So you can call it inexcusable if you like, but any TO at any event anywhere would be fully within their rights to declare that an unsporting action.

#44 Rodent Mastermind

Rodent Mastermind

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:27 AM

TBH the CPA only comes into effect if you request it, and you should only really be requesting it if the opponent is stalling or being indecisive. It's not meant to be the norm. More a way to deal with problem players.. SAYING THAT... It should have been left to the TO to put them into play, rather than the players. That way there would be no argument about it. It would just be, call over the TO, ask for the CPA to be put into effect...

Players are strongly encouraged to resolve actions
in a speedy and sportsmanlike manner. However, if a
player is concerned that his opponent is abusing the
rules to gain an unfair advantage, he can request that
his opponent follow the more strict action resolution
described below.

#45 Drakhan Valane

Drakhan Valane

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:16 PM

If he continues to do this, just pull out your copy of the rules, place it carefully on the floor, drop trou, and whizz all over it.  And when he reacts in horror just say "what?  I thought you made it clear this is what we were doing to the rules now."

Taking it a bit far aren't we?
You're right. You should be using HIS copy of the rules.
  • CrookedWookie likes this
Rebel Alliance: 3 X-Wings, 1 Y-Wing, 4 A-Wings, 2 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290s, 1 YT-1300
Empire: 2 TIE Fighters, 1 TIE Advance, 1 Lambda Shuttle

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS