• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 faith_star83

faith_star83

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:16 AM

Hey Guys

I know many of you have quite well thought-through storage solutions, but most pictures I see are for boxes. I decided to re-arrange my arrange my player cards in binders (the encounter & quest cards I keep in boxes).

But now I was a bit stuck on how to order the cards. Obviously I want the best solution to easily access cards for deckbuilding, because I build a lot and often change decks. Obviously I will separate the cards by sphere. And then I will probably separate them by Expansion, i.e. I will probably keep Core Set + Mirkwood APs on separate sheets from the Khazad-Dum + APs cards.

But would you suggest to order the cards by number or by card type? That is have all the player cards from the core-set and APs in order of their number or have first e.g. all allies, then all events, then all attachments,etc

I know this may sound like a minor problem to most of you I guess, but I couldn't really figure out the best way to sort cards. I think going Sphere -> Expansion Block -> Card Type -> Card Number is probably the best way?

#2 Lukez

Lukez

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:48 AM

I feel like Sphere -> Card Type -> Expansion Block ->Card Number might be a little easier 

#3 danpoage

danpoage

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:28 AM

For deck-building purposes I organize my player cards (in card boxes) as follows:

By Sphere (each sphere gets its own box)
By Type: Heroes, Allies, Attachments, Events

By Cost
Alphabetically

This might seem a bit unorthodox, but it definitely helps aid deck-building. Not only can I quickly find a specific card that I am looking for, but it makes it easier to browse for general cards (e.g. "I feel like this deck could use more attachments, let me browse through medium-costed Lore attachments and see if there are any good fits"). Ultimately, organization is a very personal decision, which is why you will find that every player does it differently. Organizing it by expansion doesn't work for me, because the card pool has grown enough to where I can't always remember which expansion a card is from.

Hall of Beorn

The Grey Company

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
—Oscar Wilde

#4 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:39 AM

I organize my cards in boxes. I tried the binder when i got started, but then i decided to keep all my player cards sleeved, now the binders only hold the cards that really don't have a chance of seeing the light of day, although i always keep at least one of those sleeved and in the box just to remind me that it exists, and maybe one day it will be the card in a ground breaking strategy.

The way i organize my cards in the box is by Race/trait. That means all the Noldor cards are together, Rohan, Gondor, istari etc. if a card can be used by two traits I'll keep 2 with the trait i'll most likely use the card with and one copy with the other trait. The cards that are not assigned to any trait, like many attachments and events, are grouped by sphere. So, for example a card like Rivendell Blade, will have one copy in Noldor, and 2 copy in Silvain.

The only trait that has been refined further is the dwarf trait which i also separated by sphere since there are so may dwarf cards.
I plan on refining the other traits when their card pool grows. Gondor is almost there, and i am sure Rohan will be there after the next cycle.

It's not perfect, but it works for me, since it makes it easier to see synergies within a trait when thumbing through the cards, since many are not dependent on sphere alone, and it helps me work towards creating thematic decks.

All my hero cards are kept together sleeved and ready to go. I try to keep them organized by sphere.

I usually keep about 3 or more decks ready to go, and sometimes i forget certain cards are in those decks when i start to build a new deck. Like Daerons Ruins, Envoy of Pelegir etc.

Keeping your cards organized in a way that makes sense to you will really help with the deck building process.
'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#5 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 697 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:29 PM

I organize my cards in boxes. I tried the binder when i got started, but then i decided to keep all my player cards sleeved, now the binders only hold the cards that really don't have a chance of seeing the light of day, although i always keep at least one of those sleeved and in the box just to remind me that it exists, and maybe one day it will be the card in a ground breaking strategy.
The way i organize my cards in the box is by Race/trait. That means all the Noldor cards are together, Rohan, Gondor, istari etc. if a card can be used by two traits I'll keep 2 with the trait i'll most likely use the card with and one copy with the other trait. The cards that are not assigned to any trait, like many attachments and events, are grouped by sphere. So, for example a card like Rivendell Blade, will have one copy in Noldor, and 2 copy in Silvain.
The only trait that has been refined further is the dwarf trait which i also separated by sphere since there are so may dwarf cards.
I plan on refining the other traits when their card pool grows. Gondor is almost there, and i am sure Rohan will be there after the next cycle.
It's not perfect, but it works for me, since it makes it easier to see synergies within a trait when thumbing through the cards, since many are not dependent on sphere alone, and it helps me work towards creating thematic decks.
All my hero cards are kept together sleeved and ready to go. I try to keep them organized by sphere.
I usually keep about 3 or more decks ready to go, and sometimes i forget certain cards are in those decks when i start to build a new deck. Like Daerons Ruins, Envoy of Pelegir etc.
Keeping your cards organized in a way that makes sense to you will really help with the deck building process.

I have done something really different but as I'm reading this I really want to try this method. Mainly because that's the way I stored my older Lotr themed card games and I'd forgotten that.

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#6 CJMatos

CJMatos

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:25 AM

I store my player cards by Sphere > Type > Alphabeticaly

For now one box for each type and all neutral, treasures and Baggins and One Ring spheres in one box.

Encounter cards are stored by Expansion > Encounter Set.

Heroes get their one box to make it easier to choose...

Carlos José Matos

#7 Shadin

Shadin

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:22 PM

I've gone from binders to storing the cards sleeved in numerical order by set.  This works well for me since I do all my deckbuilding on CardGameDB, and then just pull the cards I need and go.  So my box is divided into Core > Mirkwood APs > Khazad > Dwarrowdelf APs > Heirs > AtS APs, and then a separate row for the Saga expansions.

I know there's no grand plan here.  This is just the way it goes.

#8 Olorin93

Olorin93

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:31 AM

I use binders. Just Sphere -> Type -> Alphabetical order, really. Aragorn comes before Beregond, and Beregond before Boromir.

#9 faith_star83

faith_star83

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:16 AM

Hey Guys

Thank you very much for the many comments. It is really interesting to hear how everybody gets himself organised, though indeed there is probably also the issue of personal preference :P

I do like Beorn's suggestion to also sort the card by cost...guess that makes a lot of sense deck-building wise. But, lol, I think I see now why most people use boxes, most of the methods mentioned require a lot of re-organisation for the binders whenever new cards come out ;-)

I also like Tracker1's suggestion with the traits..especially considering there will be evermore player cards. Sorting them by expansion now suddenly doesn't make so much sense anymore^^ I have to give this a bit more thought probably and try out different methods! :D

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS